Advice on an East Lothian trip

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'm in charge of planning our summer trip for next year and we're going back to East Lothian, got a nice cottage booked in Haddington and I think I've got a loose itinerary but I'm just keen to see if I've picked a dud or missed a gem:

Thursday- Haddington After a 5 hour drive and an early start, I thought this would be a gentle start
Friday- Craigielaw
Saturday- Dunbar, thinking this would be the standout course of the trip
Gullane number 3- was hoping we could get on early before the long trip home but it's their summer club event so can't get on before 11.

We've already played Gullane number 2, Kilspindie and North Berwick Glen.

Budget wise, the £150 Dunbar is asking is probably the max we'd pay for a round.

Cheers

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Assuming (apologies if wrong) that you're heading south on a Sunday morning, have you considered playing at one of the Northumberland or County Durham links on the way back?
Even if you're also starting at 11, you'll have knocked an hour or two off the journey home?

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Assuming (apologies if wrong) that you're heading south on a Sunday morning, have you considered playing at one of the Northumberland or County Durham links on the way back?
Even if you're also starting at 11, you'll have knocked an hour or two off the journey home?

Yeah back to the Midlands, hadn't thought about that at all but makes great sense, 5hour drive after a 4 hour round isn't easy. So breaking it up would help. Thanks

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you're going back south on the A1, could look at Eyemouth.
Otherwise going 'the other way' the suggestion of West Linton is a good shout. As is Longniddry which isn't far from Haddington.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I guess Sunday morning might be difficult at a lot of private courses as it tends to be a popular time with members.

If you are heading back across to the M74 then I would look at Lanark which is a cracking course, but might be difficult on a Sunday morning.
Further down Powfoot has a very good reputation though I've not played it and being less populated may be easier to find a tee time.

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I guess Sunday morning might be difficult at a lot of private courses as it tends to be a popular time with members.

If you are heading back across to the M74 then I would look at Lanark which is a cracking course, but might be difficult on a Sunday morning.
Further down Powfoot has a very good reputation though I've not played it and being less populated may be easier to find a tee time.

That was kind of why I was looking at Gullane, doesn't seem to be any issue getting on it was just the later tee time.
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll have a look.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Goswick is superb and Eyemouth is great fun, pretty tough walk on the back nine though.
I'd certainly second Goswick as being superb , further down the coast I really enjoyed Dunstanburgh, not the same quality as Goswick but significantly cheaper if cost is part of the equation .

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Powfoot is a great course.
Its still got a few of my balls in them yellow gorse bushes.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you fancy getting halfway home then a lunchtime tee at Seaton Carew, top links at a very reasonable price, may well be an option.

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Seems a shame to come all the way to East Lothian and play a run of the mill parkland course like Haddington. I'd swerve that and look at one of the links courses instead. Longniddry probably not a bad shout looking at your price range and courses you've played before.

Cheers Kaz, Longniddry has come up a lot so I think that'll be getting subbed in.

Powfoot and some of the North East if England ones will be looked at too.

Thanks all