East Lothian trip advice needed

U

User62651

Lived in EL for a short spell. I've played The Glen, Gullane No.2 twice and Haddington in East Lothian.

Gullane I didn't mind but it's a bit bleak going over and around an exposed hilltop, always windy. Good links challenge though.
The Glen I found quite an easy course, played level par on first visit off a 5 handicap just going steady. Has some nice views and some quirky good holes.
Haddington I quite enjoyed, played poorly but I enjoyed the parkland layout.

i hear Gifford is a fun option (9 holes).
Whitekirk might be a cheap option.

Muirfield - never played it, have heard mixed reviews, I did go to the Open in 2013 so walked most of it and to my eye it looked like a great track.

Visit site
I organised a Tour of East Lothian last year for 12 in our society.
Without any doubt, Dunbar should be on your list. So too, Craigielaw, and Gullane II.
Our experience of North Berwick was mixed. They were very unhelpful with regard a cancellation of one player, (lost deposit).
It was truly far too expensive for the quality of the course. It's a good course, but not THAT good!.
We always enjoy Kilpsindie, which we play for the benefit of some of our older members. And on occasion we play The Glen just for the views of Bass Rock.
The only aspect of North Berwick that we really enjoyed was that they provided the best lunch in their beautiful clubhouse.
Evidently, the word on the street is that the American visitors only want to play courses that cost at least £100. North Berwick was FULLY booked, (hence lost deposit), so I think that golf on the east coast is going to be priced out for us mere mortals.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
North Berwick also has a 50% rate at specific weekday tee times for SGU members. Not sure if it is on the SGU site yet but it is on the NBGC website.
just had a look at the new SGU site and couldn't see any offers on there any longer other than the renaissance offer

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Unless it has changed recently, Muirfield only allow visitors on a Thursday and you must play fourball format. Of the courses already mentioned, I would recommend Dunbar, Gullane #2 and perhaps Longniddry. I play all on a regular basis and although in over 40 years of playing Longniddry, I have never scored well it is always a great course. Dunbar and Gullane are always great tests of golf and the greens are probably the fines in East Lothian.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Play in March instead, or maybe better still November?

We're playing Muirfield, Gullane and Dunbar for the approx sum of £ 173.00 in the coming weeks, stay here for about £50.00 odd each (for 2 nights), all for the less than the Muirfield summer green fee price:-

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/24295456?location=North Berwick&adults=1&source_impression_id=p3_1582634635_Dj8OKNP8Hv4ZWKPX

Muirfield is standard price, got a liitle deal from Dunbar and playing with a member at Gullane.

#Muirfield - needs handicaps of 18 or less.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Drop Gullane 2, as I said in another thread I just don't understand the love for that place at all. Dunbar as Andy said. Brilliant greens and a joy to play and walk. Kilspindie is nice but its too short. North Berwick, Dunbar and Craigielaw or Kilspindie would be choices out of them and that's me throwing in one course you haven't mentioned.

U

User62651

Whitekirk closed about 5 years ago unfortunately.

thanks, did not hear that, maybe no great loss? Did I hear the newish course a bit south of Gifford closed, Castle Park wasn't it?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
BTW would most say Gullane 2 is better than Gullane 1 - Ive played 1, but not 2.
Gullane 1 is definitely the 'better' course - aka tougher; more of a challenge.
But #2 is quite close and far greater vfm!

I've played 2 & 3 several times as morning & afternoon rounds - with great joy. I wouldn't consider playing a 2nd round in a day if playing #1 - even having played 2 rounds in a day at Muirfield more than a dozen times!

Gullane 1 has, for a very long time, made significant (and enormous) capital from overseas (primarily US) tour groups!

Last edited:

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Gullane 1 is definitely the 'better' course - aka tougher; more of a challenge.
But #2 is quite close and far greater vfm!

I've played 2 & 3 several times as morning & afternoon rounds - with great joy. I wouldn't consider playing a 2nd round in a day if playing #1 - even having played 2 rounds in a day at Muirfield more than a dozen times!

Gullane 1 has, for a very long time, made significant (and enormous) capital from overseas (primarily US) tour groups!
Pal of mine (a member) is convinced that #2 is harder than #1 in terms of playing within buffer in medals. He's off 5/6.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Pal of mine (a member) is convinced that #2 is harder than #1 in terms of playing within buffer in medals. He's off 5/6.

Horses for courses etc etc but I'd be driving past to join you at Dunbar every day of the week. Far more enjoyable.

big_matt

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You cant go wrong in that whole area. Kilspindie is great. So is craigielaw. So is gullane 2. Never played NB and probably wont at 160 a round.

Gullane 3 would also be great if you are high handicappers. Always in great condition.

You should watch the no laying up youtube series tourist sauce on scotland if you want to see kilspindie etc.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Horses for courses etc etc but I'd be driving past to join you at Dunbar every day of the week. Far more enjoyable.

there are a few guys from Gullane who are members at ours and all think Nairn is better and harder than no1.... just show's how sheer hite it must be:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: