East Lothian trip advice needed

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Pal of mine (a member) is convinced that #2 is harder than #1 in terms of playing within buffer in medals. He's off 5/6.
Given #1's SSS is 74 vs #2's 69 and both are Par 71s, that wouldn't surprise me. But it also indicates which is the 'harder' (versus 'harder to play within buffer') - especially for a low 'capper!

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
thanks, did not hear that, maybe no great loss? Did I hear the newish course a bit south of Gifford closed, Castle Park wasn't it?

Castle Park did close for a short time but is open again.
An interesting course, a bit quirky, and a beautiful & peaceful part of East Lothian.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Castle Park did close for a short time but is open again.
An interesting course, a bit quirky, and a beautiful & peaceful part of East Lothian.

Good to hear it's open again, I remember it opening as a 9 holer when I lived in the area and played it a few times. Can't remember if I ever played it when they built the second 9 holes.

Is a great setting to play golf.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Had narrowed it down to Dunbar, Gullane 2 and 1 other, but am a bit concerned about the number of appearances Gullane 2 makes on "toughest course played" thread!

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Had narrowed it down to Dunbar, Gullane 2 and 1 other, but am a bit concerned about the number of appearances Gullane 2 makes on "toughest course played" thread!

If the wind is OK, G2 is not that hard. Challenging but it is not a brute.

Glad you are taking in Dunbar.

For the others, you've had good advice but I would not play Longniddry, not a huge fan.

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site

I wouldn't worry too much about Gullane Nr 2 being too tough, it's a great course and great value.

Let us know your budget for the 3rd course and I'm sure the forum will come up with (several!) suggestions.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Like most seaside courses, it's very weather dependent. We played it in light conditions and it was just fine.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I wouldn't worry too much about Gullane Nr 2 being too tough, it's a great course and great value.

Let us know your budget for the 3rd course and I'm sure the forum will come up with (several!) suggestions.

The going rate for most places (apart from the standout courses) seems to be around £60, so I guess that's what we would be happy to pay. Looks like we will be staying in a flat in North Berwick (have booked and paid, but can be cancelled with full refund if something better comes up).

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The going rate for most places (apart from the standout courses) seems to be around £60, so I guess that's what we would be happy to pay. Looks like we will be staying in a flat in North Berwick (have booked and paid, but can be cancelled with full refund if something better comes up).

Staying in North Berwick is good. For your third course I'd play the Glen. Less linksy that either Gullane or Dunbar but great views and in budget. They have twilight deals in the summer too.

Ian

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
thay were all talking box lock though:ROFLMAO:

nice and straight forward apart from the 3rd which is a bit Mickey Mouse

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Agreed, the Glen is good fun.
Views are absolutely fantastic from a couple of tees at the far end of the course.
Some great holes, 12 & 13 are crackers.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Agreed, the Glen is good fun.
Views are absolutely fantastic from a couple of tees at the far end of the course.
Some great holes, 12 & 13 are crackers.

Just spotted we can get The Glen for £40 as our course is a member of the James Braid Association, so that's good news.

Can also get The Musselburgh for £35 (normal visitor rate £100) or Royal Musselburgh for £20 (visitor rate £65)

Either of those 2 worth considering?

Lummy86

Visit site
Just spotted we can get The Glen for £40 as our course is a member of the James Braid Association, so that's good news.

Can also get The Musselburgh for £35 (normal visitor rate £100) or Royal Musselburgh for £20 (visitor rate £65)

Either of those 2 worth considering?
I am a member at the royal Musselburgh. I love it tricky wee track tbh.

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
As others have mentioned both are nice parkland plays especially in June when you will be visiting. Personally I would still choose Gullane 2, Dunbar or The Glen over either of them.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
As others have mentioned both are nice parkland plays especially in June when you will be visiting. Personally I would still choose Gullane 2, Dunbar or The Glen over either of them.
i'd agree, i wouldn't be going to East Lothian then playing parkland courses

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

Definitely doing Gullane 2 and The Glen. Having a bit of an issue getting a decent tee time at Dunbar, earliest we can get is not far off 3pm, some of the lads like to be in, out and on their second beer by 7pm!