Luffness?
Monktonhall

Depending on your way home potential options for your last day;

Goswick
Bamburgh
Seahouses
Roxburghe
Peebles
Must say having played Monktonhall and Luffness, they're both decent courses but a bit pricey for what they offer.
Monktonhall is a pleasant parkland course whose equivalent is at least 40% cheaper elsewhere.
Luffness is a really enjoyable links course which basically shares the same bit of land as Gullane 3 and charges a lot more than a day at 2&3.
Not to criticise either course but if you're budget sensitive I'd look elsewhere.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Must say having played Monktonhall and Luffness, they're both decent courses but a bit pricey for what they offer.
Monktonhall is a pleasant parkland course whose equivalent is at least 40% cheaper elsewhere.
Luffness is a really enjoyable links course which basically shares the same bit of land as Gullane 3 and charges a lot more than a day at 2&3.
Not to criticise either course but if you're budget sensitive I'd look elsewhere.
Agreed, Luffness is a lovely links course and always in great condition.
The jacket, shirt & tie clubhouse, the long socks and no women members puts me off a bit.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Played it a couple of years ago. Enjoyable parkland course, great clubhouse. It was cheap as chips, we paid £20 via the James Braid Association.
Agree it's enjoyable .According to the website is is now £100 for a midweek round and £125 at weekends which I think is a bit steep.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
A guy I’m working with at the moment is a PGA pro, member at North Berwick. He recommended me Winterfield just last week. Said it’s a really good track, was a council course but the running has been taken over by two of the pro’s from Dunbar and they are apparently doing a great job. Green fee is £33.

Haven’t played it yet myself but now on the list.

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
A guy I’m working with at the moment is a PGA pro, member at North Berwick. He recommended me Winterfield just last week. Said it’s a really good track, was a council course but the running has been taken over by two of the pro’s from Dunbar and they are apparently doing a great job. Green fee is £33.

Haven’t played it yet myself but now on the list.

Were heading up to the area
Last week in March

Funnily enough
A video of winterfield popped up on YouTube the other day, looked interesting, but never heard much mention of the club before.....

Any locals have any input, that have played it lately??

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Craigielaw is not everyone's cup of tea, mainly due to the bonkers greens. But it is worth playing.
Much prefer Kilspindie though.
The same guy that recommended Winterfield to me advised me to stay away from Craigielaw….

I guess each to his own. I will still play it at some time, it’s also on my list.

Note: post edited as I mistakenly put Kilspindie in the original.

Last edited:

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The same guy that recommended Winterfield to me advised me to stay away from Kilspindie….

I guess each to his own. I will still play it at some time, it’s also on my list.
Was that a golfer? No comparison, Kilspindie is a wee gem. Winterfield front 9 is a featureless field.