A (solo) Wisconsin Yankee in Scotland

albatross2

Visit site
New member to the forum - glad to be here. I'm a 48 year old gent from Wisconsin and am an avid golfer. I've spent the last 9 years dedicating my annual golf adventure to Bandon Dunes. 6 Summer Solstices (85 holes walking & carrying in one day) later, I'm moving my Solstice to Sand Valley here in Wisconsin. I organized that trip for 8 golfers a number of years. I need a break from group organization.

I'm interested in going to Scotland with only my clubs and a backpack (with suitable attire for the clubhouse as well) for about a week in May or early June. I don't expect to traverse the country to see as many courses as possible. I love the idea of staying in one place for 2-3 nights and experiencing the local flavor (mmmm, whisky) and playing a lot of golf. The list of courses I will eventually play there is endless. But this trip is about concentrated quality. I appreciate gaining an understanding of a course through playing it multiple times, and in varied conditions.

I am very drawn to Dornoch. I am leaning toward flying into Glasgow or Edinburgh and then making my way to Dornoch for 3 nights. I think I'd like to play Dornoch 2-3 times, and also Brora and Gollspie and Tain (uh oh, so many courses...).

I would then make my way back to Edinburgh or nearby for the remaining 2-3 days and then a flight out. I would love to play North Berwick West (more than once and perhaps also Glen?), Muirfield (if I can get on), Gullane No 1...

My questions for all of you are: 1.) Can I make it through a trip like this on public transportation or affordable taxis? I certainly can hire a car, but I'd rather not. 2.) Does it make sense to go up to Dornoch and then down to Edinburgh? 3.) Should I switch Edinburgh for St. Andrews?

A couple notes about me: I am an absolute golf lover - golf is my zen - and I am a huge fan of the community of golfers. I love meeting people on the course, and I love people who love golf. I play happily alone, and happily paired with total strangers. I'm currently a .4 index, and play to a generally high level. I will definitely play 36 holes at least 4 days, and there may be an emergency 9 added at any time. I love staying local and gaining an understanding of the local community. I love playing in 2.5 hours, but can be patient when needed. I've played in sun, wind, rain, snow, sleet, fog and every combination - and I've enjoyed every one of them. And I absolutely love links golf.

I very much appreciate any thoughts you might have.

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Welcome to the forum there will be people on here who can answer all your questions I am sure, it's just a little early for them. Good luck with your travels.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi,

Public transport is certainly possible but I’d recommend driving. It probably would work out slightly cheaper than trains / buses / taxis. You could get from Glasgow to Inverness ok (train or bus) but Dornoch may then be an expensive taxi. Althiugh resort may run connections.

Glasgow to Dornoch is a simply stunning drive. I’d recommend adding 40 minutes to your journey and driving via tha A82 rather than the A9... A82 is arguably one of the most scenic roads in the whole U.K between Tyndrum and Fort William.

Personally would go St. Andrews rather than Edinburgh. If you are a golf nut St. Andrews is the pilgrimage, a town devoted entirely to golf. Literally no chance of playing a round on your own and much more manageable to see the whole town and experience it on a short trip.

You could get 3 goes at entering the Old Course ballot, but will need 1 other golfer to enter with you. Probably an idea to request on here and see if anyone is able to enter with you.

Edinburgh is a cool city and well worth seeing but the city itself is not a golf place (although there are multiple courses in the city). So N. Berwick, Gullane etc are a a good bit out.

St. Andrews you would have to drive or get a bus. Assume you can get from Inverness to St. Andrews by bus, but may well be via Dundee and could take you pretty much a whole day to get from Dornoch to St. Andrews via public transport by the time you wait for connections etc.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
its possible to get to these places but will take you days in travel rather than hours.

if you go to St Andrews for a couple of days, you can walk to the first tee of TOC, New and Jubilee.

From there if you can get to Perth (bus) via Dundee you could get the train or Bus to Inverness, then from there train to Dornoch. Tain is a 10 mins by car and Golspie about 15 and Brora another 15 again from Golspie. i would hire a car for up here, public transports isn't great TBH esp if you want to get between these 4 courses.
Royal Dornoch do a day ticket, but in reality you might struggle to get round twice as from May to Oct it is rammed with 4balls with caddies. but you could play any of the others in the morning and then play Dornoch later. before 9 is members times at RD. i would also fit in Fortrose and Rosemarkie if you want something different, its only a short course but on a spit of land in the Moray Firth and is always windy, quite enjoyable.

Enjoy your trip its a great place to play.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hi and welcome
I would hire a car and do the A82 to Inverness it's a fabulous drive and you just might spot Nessie. [4-5 hour drive]
Do the Dornach + courses cool choice.
Then work yourself down to St Andrews, another great drive. Driving in Scotland is so easy outwith the Glasgow/Edinburgh central belt, but even that is not too bad.
Loads of courses and a great historical town atmosphere at St Andrews. Edinburgh is a tourist trap and does not have what you seek.
Backpack day to take in the Castle etc if you like.
North Berwick is served by a good rail connection to Edinburgh [40 mins] so I would stay there.[ ditch the car]. It is a bit like a mini St Andrews
May is a lovely month to visit, you can play until 10pm, late evening golf in Scotland is an absolute delight when there is a good sunset.
Good luck, come back on here if you want more info.
When we are not all arguing we can be quite a helpful bunch.(y)

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Welcome, you sound like a well-rounded chap apart from the unhinged golf addiction which characterises plenty of us here. Have a read off this in your spare time, there's more than one way to skin the Old Course cat (not sure if TOC has a cat and if it does I mean it no harm).

Carnoustie - Old Course as a single

You mentioned Muirfield, I don't think you can play there as a single but will happily stand corrected. Staying at St Andrews is great, pricey for a nice hotel but plenty of options. It's well worth it though, there's nowhere like it.

Have fun and keep us updated on your travel plans, we can live vicariously though your adventures while the freezing rain lashes us into submission here :cry: :)