East Lothian trip advice needed

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
4 of us planning a trip in June, 2 nights accom and 3 rounds of golf.

We've had a couple of quotes from YGT, but they seem pretty pricey -

Option 1 is to play North Berwick, Craigielaw and Kilspindie, staying at Craigielaw
Option 2 is to play North Berwick, Gullane 2 and Glen, staying at Ducks, Kilspindie House

Both are coming out around £450 which as I said seems a bit rich. I've had a look at the normal green fees for the above courses, North Berwick is £160, the rest are around the £60 mark. So we could save £100 by swapping NB out for a start.

We have never played up there before and don't know the courses. I'm tempted to cut out the middleman and arrange everything ourselves, so looking for recommendations for the best value for money courses and some decent accomodation with a good choice of pubs/food within walking distance.

We are all fairly high handicappers, and not desperate to play the absolute best courses, so VFM and fun/enjoyable are the main criteria.

All suggestions welcome!

DCB

Visit site
I'd drop The Glen and go with North Berwick, Craigielaw and Gullane 2. The Lodge at Craigielaw is very good, stayed there for a golf weekend before, all you need really and you should be able to arrange all yourself.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'd drop The Glen and go with North Berwick, Craigielaw and Gullane 2. The Lodge at Craigielaw is very good, stayed there for a golf weekend before, all you need really and you should be able to arrange all yourself.

can't really justify £160 a round at NB

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
can't really justify £160 a round at NB
I notice that you mentioned that some of you were highish handicappers. We had a less accomplished player with us and he really struggled round NB but enjoyed both gullane 2 and 3. So you can save the money with a clear conscience!
It's a lovely seaside walk along the dunes from the 1st to the turn and back at NB though, so if you're feeling romantic and want to have a look at what the fuss is about, you could take an evening stroll....

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Crikey - North Berwick seems to have shot up in cost. Played there about 3 years ago, and it cost nowhere near that much.
A member signed 3 of us on for 5 quid each if I remember correctly, we played a £1 front back and overall, so it only cost me and Ger147 £2 each , thanks IanG, and Virtuocity :love:

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
N berwick is now £160? ?

Green Fees
Our green fees for 2020 are detailed below. Please see our Visitor information page for advice on handicaps and playing the course.
1st Jan 2020 - 28th Feb 2020 (Fairway mats may be in operation)
Weekdays & Sundays £65.00
1st Mar 2020 - 31st Mar 2020
Weekdays & Sundays £100.00
1st Apr 2020 - 31st Oct 2020
Weekday & Sunday ROUND £160.00, DAY £215.00
1st Nov 2020 - 21st Dec 2020
Weekdays & Sunday £100.00

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Perhaps consider Longniddry, one of my favourite courses.
Gullane No3 is a great wee course for a quick evening game. It is like playing a scaled down championship course, shorter with small greens bunkers etc.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Perhaps consider Longniddry, one of my favourite courses.
Gullane No3 is a great wee course for a quick evening game. It is like playing a scaled down championship course, shorter with small greens bunkers etc.

Just looked at No 3 - £30 after 3.45pm looks like a good deal. Also tempted by £240 to play all 3 courses midweek, but i guess we should look for a bit of variety.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I like Dunbar. We got a very early flight from Bristol and the steward did us fish and chips at 9am or thereabout as we'd all been up since goodness knows when, then we went out and played. This was sometime in the late 90s before the prices got daft. Really suprised at current rates

Heck, can you really now play Liphook, Hankley and Blackmoor cheaper than Gullane, N Berwick and Dunbar? :oops:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i suspect you may be able to get it a bit cheaper and you could stay in Edinburgh or the outskirts, but i doubt it would be that much less

if you are going to that area as a one off i would want to play the top courses... you missed out the best of the EL courses on your list... it begins with M..;)

D

Deleted member 21258

North Berwick, is never a £160 course. IMHO. Its was in great condition, great location(if you like towns), friendly but course wise nothing special, very gimmicky in places and very compact, also its history isn't amazing for instance never held what I would could a major event (like walker cup/ryder/open etc) IIRC. I would say a £75 course.

Gullane No1, really enjoyed, held big tournaments, welcome excellent, history there, great condition, nice variety of holes. Would recommend for sure. And would like to play No2 course(No 3 course would have to be a course that you get for cheap and bolt on as the 2nd 18 holes you play on the same day you play 1 or 2, to make it worth paying for me)

Muirfield out of budget.

Personally for that kind of money, I would rather play somewhere with better value for money, Links :- Saunton/Burnham Berrow/St Enodoc/Trevose areas or Royal Portcrawl/Pennard areas or healthland ones of Notts/Sherwood or Ganton/Alwoodley or Beau/Enville. All cheaper and nicer courses and some with much fuller history(if that is your kind of thing). There is also the choices like Belfry, Celtic Manor.

Either way, have a cracking trip.