Advice on an East Lothian trip

Albo

Visit site
Def take a taxi into Edinburgh one night, if you are up here you have to do so, in my opinion.
I’m sure you’ll enjoy your trip up here, weather won’t be too bad, could be some rain but shouldn’t be loads!
Hopefully the wind will give you a break.
Sunday looks to be your best day so make the most of Craigielaw. I’ve just joined the course, off the tee it’s pretty open at the moment, most of the bite in the course is via the green complexes. Avoid the bunkers or be a good bunker player.
All the best

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Def take a taxi into Edinburgh one night, if you are up here you have to do so, in my opinion.
I’m sure you’ll enjoy your trip up here, weather won’t be too bad, could be some rain but shouldn’t be loads!
Hopefully the wind will give you a break.
Sunday looks to be your best day so make the most of Craigielaw. I’ve just joined the course, off the tee it’s pretty open at the moment, most of the bite in the course is via the green complexes. Avoid the bunkers or be a good bunker player.
All the best

Any Edinburgh restaurant recommendations? A nice steak would be good.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Were staying prem inn A1 musselburgh, that's what they're calling it anyway.

Kicking off with Craigielaw on Sunday afternoon
The prem Inn is clean and adequate, the brewers fare is average pub grub but has no Sky TV or entertainment and closes 11ish.
We tried a few pubs/places in Musselburgh but couldn't really recommend any of them.
Edinburgh is your best bet for entertainment.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not a local but we had a lovely steak when we visited 3 years back, Parilla it's called, think it's had a name change.

I don't want to offend anyone but I found Musselburgh high street to be a bit rough, and we were in and out after dinner.
Agree with Parilla, went there after my daughter did the Edinburgh marathon, which finishes near Musselburgh.
Good food on our visit about 2 years ago.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Update, My grand daughter stays just outside Musselburgh, seemingly the Buenos Steakhouse on the high street is very good also the Shish Mahal if you like Indian.
A taxi from the Premier Inn to Wallyford train station is about a tenner, then the train fare to Edinburgh is £5 return.
Her husband is the Head chef in Howies Restaurant Waterloo place. It's a bit better than pub grub.
Book it on line, let me know if you're going and I'll tell them to treat you well.
Cheers Billy.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Update, My grand daughter stays just outside Musselburgh, seemingly the Buenos Steakhouse on the high street is very good also the Shish Mahal if you like Indian.
A taxi from the Premier Inn to Wallyford train station is about a tenner, then the train fare to Edinburgh is £5 return.
Her husband is the Head chef in Howies Restaurant Waterloo place. It's a bit better than pub grub.
Book it on line, let me know if you're going and I'll tell them to treat you well.
Cheers Billy.

I go to Howies a few times a year. Fantastic restaurant and great value, especially at lunch time.

Albo

Visit site
Cheers Billy.
Howies is a great restaurant, he must be some boy to be head chef there

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Avoid Dishoom on St Andrews Square. Was in there last month. Everyone raves about it, it's packed out, food is average, drinks massively overpriced. Definite case of the Emporers New Clothes.

Albo

Visit site
Avoid Dishoom on St Andrews Square. Was in there last month. Everyone raves about it, it's packed out, food is average, drinks massively overpriced. Definite case of the Emporers New Clothes.
I’ve not been for years, the food used to be superb, but the prices eye watering and the wait for a table was a joke, can only assume things haven’t improved from what you have said.
The wife said Mowgli was very nice for a curry, I’ve not been so can’t vouch for that

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I’ve not been for years, the food used to be superb, but the prices eye watering and the wait for a table was a joke, can only assume things haven’t improved from what you have said.
The wife said Mowgli was very nice for a curry, I’ve not been so can’t vouch for that
We went on a Sunday night. Everywhere else was dead - there is a big flash Gordon Ramsey place next door, we saw one couple in there. Dishoom was absolutely rammed - we had to wait about 45 minutes at the bar for a table - crazy, given the size of the place, it's over 3 floors and must have well over 100 tables. I understand it's much worse on a Friday and Saturday night where the queue is miles down the street, and they have waiters selling the overpriced drinks to the poor souls outside!

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Howies is a great restaurant, he must be some boy to be head chef there
Graeme has been head chef there for 3 years, my grandson Daryn is his Sous chef, my granddaughter Nikki sometimes works as a waitress.
My other grandson Liam worked there as a comis chef but left last year.
They all previously worked in restaurants in Tenerife.