Low cost links course with 2 hours of the midlands

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
4 of us are planning a weekend of golf in September, we do it every year and this year we really want to play a links course.

Unfortunately one of the lads is being made redundant and so we need to keep the costs down as much as possible, so we’re probably looking at £80-£100 max for 2 rounds Saturday and Sunday.

Looking at the obvious ones it’s very pricey!

Any recommendations within a couple of hours of Birmingham? Ideally close to a town so that there’s choice of accommodation and somewhere to eat afterwards.

D

Deleted member 15344

Seacroft is normally low cost but not sure about the weekend

Going to be tough to find decent links course for two rounds under £100

North shore might be one to look at but not true links

HeftyHacker

Visit site
You'd get two rounds at Fleetwood for £100 I reckon and falls about 2hrs 10 from the centre of Birmingham. Plus you'd have the delights of Blackpool in the evening 😂.

Although I'd recommend having your night out in nearby Poulton le Fylde - loads of decent bars and restaurants.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Clyne have their own B&B.

One night bed and breakfast and two rounds of golf £115 per person. Double rooms.
Not sure if this is available for Sat and Sun. Bloomin' good value though as includes accommodation.
More like 3 hours away.
Mumbles for the evening. ;)

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
You'd get two rounds at Fleetwood for £100 I reckon and falls about 2hrs 10 from the centre of Birmingham. Plus you'd have the delights of Blackpool in the evening 😂.

Although I'd recommend having your night out in nearby Poulton le Fylde - loads of decent bars and restaurants.
Fleetwood is in very good nick at the moment and will probably be even better come September. Proper links course right on the coast and improved since lockdown (a few holes are more clay based than sand, so drainage has been improved on those holes).

Agree with Hefty on the Poulton recommendation, although the Briardene Restaurant in Cleveleys is worth a shout - not sure if they do any more, but they used to do deals to stay there with golf at Fleetwood.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Seacroft/North Shore is a good weekend and being Skegness, accommodation and food/drink is cheap. North shore has the original 9 links holes along the coast, and added 9 less inspiring parkland holes in land (although I like the 9th). It’s really playable if you have any shorter hitters or not really good golfers in the group. The links 9 are lovely (you can’t play it as a 9 home though they weave in and out).

Seacroft is a proper links, although not strictly on the sea (you only see the sea from a few holes). Like many links it’s very scorable in the calm and an absolute beast in the wind. Played it last week, it’s in great condition, proper turf/greens/bunkers.

Both clubhouses are great, really friendly and food is restaurant quality. Skeg is what it is, you’d have fun, don’t mind the haters 😆

phils226

Medal Winner
Visit site
Another one for Wales - I'd suggest Aberdovey which I think you'd get for about £150pp in September BUT that includes on course dormy accomodation and breakfast and you'd be playing a top quality links course. About 3 hours from Brum as we go annually. It's also a nice walk into the town for a beer and meal on the night. I'd highly recommend

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Another one for Wales - I'd suggest Aberdovey which I think you'd get for about £150pp in September BUT that includes on course dormy accomodation and breakfast and you'd be playing a top quality links course. About 3 hours from Brum as we go annually. It's also a nice walk into the town for a beer and meal on the night. I'd highly recommend
Website says it is £185 for one night B&B and two rounds of golf with a further £10 supplement for play on a Saturday.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Clyne have their own B&B.

One night bed and breakfast and two rounds of golf £115 per person. Double rooms.
Not sure if this is available for Sat and Sun. Bloomin' good value though as includes accommodation.
More like 3 hours away.
Mumbles for the evening. ;)
I love clyne, but just because you can see the sea doesn't make it a links!
All the rest of the suggestions are great. Now that us poor English have been priced out of Scotland, Welsh links courses are the new destination of choice.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Would Pyle and Kenfigg work? 2hrs 20 from Brum, Google says. Looks linksy to me.