Low cost links course with 2 hours of the midlands

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Would Pyle and Kenfigg work? 2hrs 20 from Brum, Google says. Looks linksy to me.

South Wales is in range...prices vary!

Pyle & Kenfig is a links, but only the back 9 is in the dunes. Front 9 is "linksy" but less exciting than the best bit!

Southerndown isn't far from there. Linksy on top of the hills, worth a game..

Check out Ashburnham. ( a bit further west) Links, not expensive, and the good bits are very good!

Last edited:

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Another one for Wales - I'd suggest Aberdovey which I think you'd get for about £150pp in September BUT that includes on course dormy accomodation and breakfast and you'd be playing a top quality links course. About 3 hours from Brum as we go annually. It's also a nice walk into the town for a beer and meal on the night. I'd highly recommend

Aberdovey is a great course I played there in the summer and would love to go back, that’s a great deal you’ve recommended 👍

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Weston-super-mare is exactly 2hrs from Birmingham according to Google maps, but their weekend green fee (£70, £60 with a county card) is a tad over your budget.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Seacroft weekend green fee is £70 a round.

No visitors allowed at Fleetwood on Saturdays.
I get the impression that Fleetwood don't care for visitors very much.

I'm organising a trip to the west coast for September and wanted to play Fleetwood, but no visitors Wednesdays, and the morning and afternoon slots that they have available for visitors overlap so that it is impossible to play 36 holes in a day. You can't get the first round finished in time to start the afternoon one.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I get the impression that Fleetwood don't care for visitors very much.

I'm organising a trip to the west coast for September and wanted to play Fleetwood, but no visitors Wednesdays, and the morning and afternoon slots that they have available for visitors overlap so that it is impossible to play 36 holes in a day. You can't get the first round finished in time to start the afternoon one.
Have you tried phoning them to discuss?
I'd have thought they'd be able to arrange something for you.

sunshine

Visit site
South Wales is in range...prices vary!

Pyle & Kenfig is a links, but only the back 9 is in the dunes. Front 9 is "linksy" but less exciting than the best bit!

Southerndown isn't far from there. Linksy on top of the hills, worth a game..

Check out Ashburnham. ( a bit further west) Links, not expensive, and the good bits are very good!
Pennard?

Southerndown is great if you like playing through sheep poo.

sunshine

Visit site
Seacroft/North Shore is a good weekend and being Skegness, accommodation and food/drink is cheap. North shore has the original 9 links holes along the coast, and added 9 less inspiring parkland holes in land (although I like the 9th). It’s really playable if you have any shorter hitters or not really good golfers in the group. The links 9 are lovely (you can’t play it as a 9 home though they weave in and out).

Seacroft is a proper links, although not strictly on the sea (you only see the sea from a few holes). Like many links it’s very scorable in the calm and an absolute beast in the wind. Played it last week, it’s in great condition, proper turf/greens/bunkers.

Both clubhouses are great, really friendly and food is restaurant quality. Skeg is what it is, you’d have fun, don’t mind the haters 😆

Restaurant quality = harvester.

To clarify, I don’t care about the food at the golf courses I visit.
Seacroft was a good choice , I enjoyed it.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Have you tried phoning them to discuss?
I'd have thought they'd be able to arrange something for you.
I'm a member there. We do have lots of visitors and societies and I have never heard that opinion voiced. Yes , we don't allow visitors on wednesdays or saturdays but have a steady stream on all other days. Just looked on IG and for the next week on the days where visitors can play, and there is no club competition, we have visiting parties booked in already for most days.

Phone the club and I am sure you will get some help. Like all clubs, they are keen to maximise income so wouldn't deliberately discourage visitors.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
I'm a member there. We do have lots of visitors and societies and I have never heard that opinion voiced. Yes , we don't allow visitors on wednesdays or saturdays but have a steady stream on all other days. Just looked on IG and for the next week on the days where visitors can play, and there is no club competition, we have visiting parties booked in already for most days.

Phone the club and I am sure you will get some help. Like all clubs, they are keen to maximise income so wouldn't deliberately discourage visitors.

If push came to shove then you could play Knott End on the Saturday afternoon and Fleetwood on the Sunday.

I'm a member at KE and it's not a links course in terms of the soil type but the front 9 and last 3 holes along the wyre estuary could be described as linksy in their layout and it does drain pretty well.

Bar the bunkers the course is in great condition at the moment and the decision to grow the rough out on the front 9 has really served it purpose in framing the holes nicely and increasing the challenge of the course.

Edit: it also falls well within the price parameters

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Restaurant quality = harvester.

To clarify, I don’t care about the food at the golf courses I visit.
Seacroft was a good choice , I enjoyed it.

Fair enough, and I’ve not eaten at North Shore for a while but the fish and chips was as good as anywhere the few times I’ve had it.

I ate at Seacroft last week. The burger is proper meat from a local butchers. If you can get all that for £10 at a harvester you’ve done very well!

1690545540304.jpeg

D

Deleted member 1147

Anyone suggesting Aberdovey & West Wales needs to contemplate the actual journey time. With no motorways it's about 3 hours to Aberdovey from Derby, which is in the most westerly part of the East Mids.