Iron covers

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
"But I don't want my new irons getting marks from hitting each other in the bag"

You swing the thing between 70-100mph (depending on your seed) hitting a ball off grass etc

I think they will be fine in the bag
...and not only do they hit things off grass, they plough through the grass and rip it up and will often encounter small stones you can’t see in passing.

They are my ‘tools of the trade’…I don‘t let them get damaged unnecessarily, but I am not precious about them getting scratched or small dints and dings. It happens.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
...and not only do they hit things off grass, they plough through the grass and rip it up and will often encounter small stones you can’t see in passing.

They are my ‘tools of the trade’…I don‘t let them get damaged unnecessarily, but I am not precious about them getting scratched or small dints and dings. It happens.
Agreed. I wonder what people with iron covers do when they're in a stony fairway bunker, or a bit of shrapnel under the trees. Just take a stroke a distance penalty and go back to the tee? 😂

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Agreed. I wonder what people with iron covers do when they're in a stony fairway bunker, or a bit of shrapnel under the trees. Just take a stroke a distance penalty and go back to the tee? 😂
Besides, hearing the gentle clack of my irons as I walked was a sound that was (I suppose quite weirdly) part of my getting to love the game. As I mostly don’t carry these days I do miss it, and so its nice when I carry a half set. Takes me back to my early days playing. As I said, rather weirdly comforting - maybe it’s an AMSR thing.

Troymcclure

Medal Winner
Visit site
If my mate’s view is the prevailing one for iron cover fans, then it’s nothing to do with protecting them but, unlike SilH and myself, he hates the sound of the gentle clack 😆

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I use them when I am taking them abroad, because I've seen how some (not all!) luggage handlers abuse the bags!

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
this post needs reporting and you deserve a long ban to think about the consequences of posting such filth 🤣
Hey, don't shoot the messenger.
I was doing a public service by way of a warning.
And its not only Taylormade that are responsible for these repulsive abominations.

mizuno iron covers.jpg

I've never come across any made by the more reputable manufacturers like John Letters or Gradidge.

Newtonuti

Visit site
My pal uses the excuse "I don't like the sound of them clanging when I'm using my carry bag" Get a 14 divider carry bag then, and why do you use them when you're pushing/in a buggy as well?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My pal uses the excuse "I don't like the sound of them clanging when I'm using my carry bag" Get a 14 divider carry bag then, and why do you use them when you're pushing/in a buggy as well?
That actually makes it worse in my experience, not better. The 14 dividers just position them all 2 inches apart, perfect radius for clanging together. In a properly designed 5-divider bag, the irons rest against each so they don't really click against one another.

Reactions: sjw