Do I not like that....

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Maybe, but my point is, you don’t have to take a driver. Just play a distance within your ability. Personally, I tend to get to two feet with a nine iron at 220, so maybe a skewed view.
This argument would fall down at our course. 210yard par 3 over water. A layup would be 80 yards into wispy rough. Badly designed hole

Burnsey

Visit site
This argument would fall down at our course. 210yard par 3 over water. A layup would be 80 yards into wispy rough. Badly designed hole

It was meant as an opinion, not an argument.

I play our 200 yard par 3’s with a 5 wood and don’t tend to do badly. Some members use driver, some a hybrid, some a long iron and some plonk an iron short (noted your example is over water).

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I play our 200 yard par 3’s with a 5 wood and don’t tend to do badly. Some members use driver, some a hybrid, some a long iron and some plonk an iron short (noted your example is over water).

In my opinion (not fact) the perfect par 3 is max 140 yards

Then your short hitters should be able to still hit an iron and long hitters can really go for it with some kind of wedge

Burnsey

Visit site
In my opinion (not fact) the perfect par 3 is max 140 yards

Then your short hitters should be able to still hit an iron and long hitters can really go for it with some kind of wedge

My favourite par 3 distance, but I do like variety and up to 200 yards I can play in one form or another, but don't really want to play more than one each round.

I find you can shorten and lengthen par 3's using different tee boxes and my own course is a real challenge (for me) off whites for sure.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My favourite par 3 distance, but I do like variety and up to 200 yards I can play in one form or another, but don't really want to play more than one each round.

I find you can shorten and lengthen par 3's using different tee boxes and my own course is a real challenge (for me) off whites for sure.

My course insists on doing comps off blacks in summer, which if your trying to set the course up for the local pga regional events that's fine but weekend hackers? Please

Yellow par 3 distance

White par 3 distance

Black par 3

I find the white tees an enjoyable challenge

The black are just a slog

I mean a short par 4 is lovely aswell we have 2 in total.
The 16th off yellows is 329 , white 389 blacks a ridiculous 443

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site

Just a turn of phrase 😉

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
My course insists on doing comps off blacks in summer, which if your trying to set the course up for the local pga regional events that's fine but weekend hackers? Please

Yellow par 3 distance

White par 3 distance

Black par 3

I find the white tees an enjoyable challenge

The black are just a slog

I mean a short par 4 is lovely aswell we have 2 in total.
The 16th off yellows is 329 , white 389 blacks a ridiculous 443

Nothing wrong with those par 3’s off the black tees

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I don’t think I’ve heard “have a day”, but regularly hear “have a day off” in reply to someone having a moan….same meaning?

I don't think it is to be honest.. "Have a day" seems to be an american derived term whereas have a day off is associated with the UK - and more specifically from London areas.

D-S

Visit site
So you don’t think everyone should be challenged?
What about a scratch player?
Length isn’t a measure of challenge, especially in par 3s.
Some (most) of the greatest par 3s in golf are less than 140 yards - in fact the best, most famous par 3s in golf are all under 140 yards if you think about it. In fact 16th at Augusta is the longest famous par 3 in golf at 170yds. Even the newest toughest Open par 3 at Hoylake is only 136 yards.

Singlefiguregokfer

Visit site
Length isn’t a measure of challenge, especially in par 3s.
Some (most) of the greatest par 3s in golf are less than 140 yards - in fact the best, most famous par 3s in golf are all under 140 yards if you think about it. In fact 16th at Augusta is the longest famous par 3 in golf at 170yds. Even the newest toughest Open par 3 at Hoylake is only 136 yards.
If you hit the ball like many of the best ams and pros 140 is a very short shot. As such a longer par 3 is a good challenge which separates them from us. I know lads who hit 7/6 iron 200 yds, as such they play a different game to the rest of us.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
5th at Saunton East is only 105 from the forward tees, 122 from the back.

Great hole. Tough green to hit, tough to hold. Looks great, super bunkering and run offs.

Used to be a Bowood member. Two par 3s on (now) back 9 are over 200 yards. Both holes are as dull as ditchwater!😁 Why do they build holes like that?

D-S

Visit site
If you hit the ball like many of the best ams and pros 140 is a very short shot. As such a longer par 3 is a good challenge which separates them from us. I know lads who hit 7/6 iron 200 yds, as such they play a different game to the rest of us.
So 17th at Sawgrass, the Postage Stamp at Troon, the 12th at Augusta aren’t a challenge for players who are slightly better than the ‘lads who hit 7 iron 200 yards’?
I struggle to think of better, more dramatic par 3s in golf? As has been said the longer the par 3 the duller it is.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So 17th at Sawgrass, the Postage Stamp at Troon, the 12th at Augusta aren’t a challenge for players who are slightly better than the ‘lads who hit 7 iron 200 yards’?

I struggle to think of better, more dramatic par 3s in golf? As has been said the longer the par 3 the duller it is.

Not what he was saying. I think the message is having lots of different length is good. And especially for the better golfers, having some longs ones is good for the challenge and for normal folk may need all you have in the bag. When many scratch and better guys cam often hit 200 yards with mid irons it is a different game, but it needs to be there so we can all be challenged. And often clubs have multiple tees so many guys play shorter holes, especially socially. JCB 17th is 260 into an island green. It may play less but hell of a challenge and a great hole. I prefer shorter holes as they are easier for me and most who are not great ball strikers. But having long par 3s that are well designed is also a great fun challenge