Do I not like that....

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
But that kind of shape makes good sense for a mid iron which is what the length is what it is, I don't know what all the copies are but I bet there aren't many where the back tees are less than 170 yds.
189yds is not a mid iron for the majority of golfers. Check out the charts for distances according to h/c and for most golfers it is nowhere near that.

That design is about hitting one side of a green, the ball funnelling down (I watched the 'Watch with Ken' video 🤭 ). Not middle or either side, one side only. Length isn't the big factor in that. It's about a precision shot.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I almost had a hole in one with my driver yesterday.

Our par 3 4th, normally 200 yards off the yellows, but a bit shorter yesterday as the tees are further forward than usual. Haven't been able to reach with my hybrid over the winter so have taken to hitting driver. Yesterday's effort left a big pitch mark a yard past the pin, and stopped about 8 foot from the hole.

Distance and precision are not always mutually exclusive :D

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
189yds is not a mid iron for the majority of golfers. Check out the charts for distances according to h/c and for most golfers it is nowhere near that.

That design is about hitting one side of a green, the ball funnelling down (I watched the 'Watch with Ken' video 🤭 ). Not middle or either side, one side only. Length isn't the big factor in that. It's about a precision shot.
Mid to hybrid then, which it is for most.

D-S

Visit site
Not wanting to be pedantic but surely mid irons are more like 6 and 7?
I was trying to be generous to the poster who originally claimed 189 yards was a mid iron - but you’re right mid irons are probably 7,6 and 5 - very few average golfers are hitting them 190 in fact most better than average can’t either.

Mandofred

Visit site
I'm at 6.1.......190 during the winter I'd be lucky to hit my 5 wood that far, I'd need at least a little bit of roll. During the summer, probably still a 5 wood or good rolling 9 wood.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
18° iron is 190 yards

20° wood is 200 yards
24° wood is 180 yards

The Golf Handbook, Bradbeer and Morrison, Abbeydale Press 1998, ISBN 1-86147-006-1

And those figures work for me today with any modern clubs.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I do not like... players blaming the flag being in as the sole reason their putt didn't drop... Even when the ball caught the hole edge but actually missed the pin! Although its usually trotted out when the ball's motoring like an Exocet

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I do not like... players blaming the flag being in as the sole reason their putt didn't drop... Even when the ball caught the hole edge but actually missed the pin! Although its usually trotted out when the ball's motoring like an Exocet
Yes that’s their own fault for leaving it in!

I just blame the bobble😳