Do I not like that....

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
He implied that holes less than 140 yards were not a challenge for scratch players - I begged to differ. I agree with the fact that variety is important but he didn’t state that, hence my contrary points.

I think it is great that scratch golfers suffer like the rest of us on short holes that are well designed. So agree 😁

Singlefiguregokfer

Visit site
I think there’s a bandwagon that the shorter holes are the best. But I bet that most couldn’t name a dozen great short par 3’s.

Also, I stayed earlier on the thread that a variety of lengths is required for good course design.
But don’t let that get in the way of an argument.

samthom99

Visit site
Length isn’t a measure of challenge, especially in par 3s.
Some (most) of the greatest par 3s in golf are less than 140 yards - in fact the best, most famous par 3s in golf are all under 140 yards if you think about it. In fact 16th at Augusta is the longest famous par 3 in golf at 170yds. Even the newest toughest Open par 3 at Hoylake is only 136 yards.
The 16th Par 3 248yds at Carnoustie is more famously longer.

All Par 3's shouldnt be less than 180yds.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I play 18 par threes every round.
Once I am within reach of the green I am playing a par three.
Some holes give me one or two (or more!) warm up shots first.
I like the few you get where you can use a tee peg. Makes them a bit easier - usually.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Our shortest par three is probably our best. 120yards to the middle. Downhill so drop a club, but the wind plays into your face so back up a club or two. Usually left to right wind. The tee shot is played over water. If you’re short it’s wet. If your long the banking at the back drops 10 yards so it’s a harder chip than it is tee shot. I won nearest the pin on that hole on Tuesday with 17 lads. I was 18-20ft from pin.
Distance for a hole for me is lazy course design.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We have a decent variety longest is 230 from the back shortest is 137, both enjoyable holes. But slice either and you are probably repegging.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
THE Redan at North Berwick is said to be the most copied hole in all golf . It is apparently 189 yds.
It is copied because of the slopes surrounding the green, not because of the length. The green and its shape and surrounds are what is copied.

One of the tees for the hole is 112 yds incidentally. According to their site they have them at 112, 173, 178, 189yds

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It is copied because of the slopes surrounding the green, not because of the length. The green and its shape and surrounds are what is copied.

One of the tees for the hole is 112 yds incidentally. According to their site they have them at 112, 173, 178, 189yds
But that kind of shape makes good sense for a mid iron which is what the length is what it is, I don't know what all the copies are but I bet there aren't many where the back tees are less than 170 yds.