Iron covers

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
They had rough in the past. They had 5 min search times in the past.

What did they not have ? Lasers, iron covers, 'routines', aimpoint, etc.

People delude themselves about their particular cocktail of actions as taking no time, and so they arent contributing to slow play. But always point to what others do, that they themseves dont do, as causing slow play.
Until people concede they are ALL part of longer round times, and specifically stop doing superfluous actions that arent just hitting the ball, then they can have no complaint about 5hr rounds.
Iron cover afficionados included.
Even putter cover users. Like, what is that vice about ?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A massively overlooked factor in slow play is the staggeringly crazy amount of people who have little idea where their ball went due to bad eye sight.

Never mind seconds here and there putting on headcovers or using a lazer. It's minutes over and over again in a round. In many cases pulling playing partners into the search all because their eyesight is poor and can't really follow the ball after a certain distance.

Longer hitters aswell .. with longing hitting it's harder to see and harder to control

All adds up

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
A massively overlooked factor in slow play is the staggeringly crazy amount of people who have little idea where their ball went due to bad eye sight.
I used to think that the only golfing accessory you couldn't buy was a golfing brain. Sad to learn that I was wrong, good eyesight is another thing.

I'm sorry that my age related fading eye acuity should cause such a problem for some. I'll stop playing immediately as I wouldn't want to upset greyhound golfers. :rolleyes: ;)

Alan Clifford

Visit site
I have iron covers although they only come off on the course, never put back on. I use a laser. I have a bad knee so I must be the slowest walker ever. I don't hit it very far. So why do I have to sometimes wait on the tee and on the fairway? It doesn't make sense.

paddyjk

Banned
Visit site
Maybe 10-20s per laser then. Its still time.
People are very reluctant, while still moaning about pace of play, to accept that it is all the extra activities that have been added to the routine, that add up to longer rounds. Actually swinging a club takes the same time as it did 50 or 100 years ago. Its all the dressage and routine that is built into it now, rather than walking to your ball and hitting it, that has added the extra time.
You cant have your cake and eat it - do all the peripheral stuff - and still expect the same pace of play.
They are all small time things. But every 5 or 10s, done 50-100 times, by 3 or 4 players, cannot but slow the round.
People defend their 'thing' saying it takes no time, and that they do it while playing partners are doing their 'thing'. But that is delusional - the pp shouldnt doing it either.
Lasers are one of the worst. Any laserers should do the experiment of not using it for a month. But playing with other laserers. And count the time you standing looking at them doing their Nelson impersonation. The sad thing about lasers, and why a ban is easily justified, is that there is a perfectly superior alternative technology - a 1s glance at a GPS. Which thankfully is used by the majority. But laserers are still there as the occasional weed.
Rubbish.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I used to think that the only golfing accessory you couldn't buy was a golfing brain. Sad to learn that I was wrong, good eyesight is another thing.

I'm sorry that my age related fading eye acuity should cause such a problem for some. I'll stop playing immediately as I wouldn't want to upset greyhound golfers. :rolleyes: ;)

Oul fellas get a pass as long as they are wearing glasses.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So before lasers and GPS, the time taken to pace out yardages from sprinkler heads and trying to decipher yardage books took zero time. 🤷‍♂️

Pretty much zero yes. Because only pros did pacing and yardage books consultations.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I have head covers on my new Mizuno Pro 221 irons, I like the way they look, and I'd like to keep them that way. I also use a laser, however I can guarantee that nobody will be visiting the toilet or juggling balls while I prepare for my shot. The laser is in my pocket and that is where the headcover goes once removed, the whole process probably takes less than fifteen seconds, so if you are next to bat, and you are taking a break you will end up rushing and dribble down your leg.

Generally after taking my shot I often find myself with time on hand while I wait for others to deliberate on the distance to the flag and ponderously ponder on which club they should use for the distance they are not sure about. I thought about using the time wisely by trying to learn Portuguese, but I think from now on the answer is to learn to juggle.

For anyone who may be interested, the beauty of having an electric trolley is that I can maintain the pristine condition of my clubs and save time by cleaning them as I walk to my next shot, replacing the headcover immediately after of course.

You see, pace of play around a golf course is not so much about what you do but about your thought processes while you do it. If you are not aware of the situation then you haven't thought about how you are going to tackle it, and so delay ensues when you finally get around to thinking about whose turn it is, distance, wind etc. Conversely, if you know where your ball is, and have thought about the wind, hazards and pin position while walking to your ball then once you have added distance to the equation you are good to go. But of course all of that good course management is negated by having to remove a headcover:rolleyes:

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have head covers on my new Mizuno Pro 221 irons, I like the way they look, and I'd like to keep them that way. I also use a laser, however I can guarantee that nobody will be visiting the toilet or juggling balls while I prepare for my shot. The laser is in my pocket and that is where the headcover goes once removed, the whole process probably takes less than fifteen seconds, so if you are next to bat, and you are taking a break you will end up rushing and dribble down your leg.

Generally after taking my shot I often find myself with time on hand while I wait for others to deliberate on the distance to the flag and ponderously ponder on which club they should use for the distance they are not sure about. I thought about using the time wisely by trying to learn Portuguese, but I think from now on the answer is to learn to juggle.

For anyone who may be interested, the beauty of having an electric trolley is that I can maintain the pristine condition of my clubs and save time by cleaning them as I walk to my next shot, replacing the headcover immediately after of course.

You see, pace of play around a golf course is not so much about what you do but about your thought processes while you do it. If you are not aware of the situation then you haven't thought about how you are going to tackle it, and so delay ensues when you finally get around to thinking about whose turn it is, distance, wind etc. Conversely, if you know where your ball is, and have thought about the wind, hazards and pin position while walking to your ball then once you have added distance to the equation you are good to go. But of course all of that good course management is negated by having to remove a headcover:rolleyes:
You may be missing my point. Not all of that good course management is negated. Just some of it.

And you are using the standard formula to justify your particular vice :
- "I do do X but it only takes me a few seconds. I am very quick at everything else, and I dont slow up play by doing Y and Z like some do".

The person who is wedded to doing Y, reformulates it as "I do do Y but it only takes me a few seconds and I do it while others are doing X or Z. I am very quick at everything else, and dont slow up play doing X and Z like some do".

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
They contribute to slow play. Next time you are twiddling your thumbs on the 8th tee, curse the player ahead on the 14th putting an iron cover back on for the umteenth time in the round.
And when they're putting the cover back on their driver, fairway, hybrid, putter? I don't use them but I don't understand why some people have such an angst again them. It's like some blokes who won't wear pink shirts. If you don't like them, don't use them. I don't see the need to have a pop at those who do.

Last edited:

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
I use a laser occasionally, don't have covers for my irons but do for my driver. I might slow down some golfers but not many. If anyone behind me is faster I let them through.
Most of all I enjoy my golf more if I score well rather than looking at the time my round took.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
And when they're putting the cover back on their driver, fairway, hybrid, putter? I don't use them but I don't understand why some people have such an angst again them. It's like some blokes who won't wear pink shirts. If you don't like them, don't use them. I don't see the need to have a pop at those who do.
I am not sure if people do have an angst against them. I dont.
Its more the curiosity/amusement that some do use them when 99.999% dont. And get on quite well. That the using them is an almost fetishisation, and care beyond reason, for their irons.
And, while it is minute, it is one more straw on the camels back of slow play. Any iron coverer who acknowledges this is no problem in my view. But those who dont acknowledge that they are another contributor to slow play are more problematic. But thats simply another flavour of the slow play issue.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So before lasers and GPS, the time taken to pace out yardages from sprinkler heads and trying to decipher yardage books took zero time. 🤷‍♂️

Pretty much zero yes. Because only pros did pacing and yardage books consultations.
What a load of tosh. Before GPS I always used to buy a Strokesaver for a new course, specially if it was in a competition.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Just bought new irons yesterday, covers are on them
My general mobility and dexterity is pretty average so it means I remove or replace a cover on an iron in about 1-1½ seconds, while reinserting the club into the bag. I feel for those that struggle with that kind of task, must be hellish trying to open a packet of crisps etc, best wishes if you're reading this

And a happy aside; I had no plans to ever buy new irons again, but now that I have I’ll be selling the cobras that I’ve had from new for 7 years and have been covered all that time. Consequently they barely look 6 months old and I’m confident I’ll get 100% of the original purchase price back

Free Stuff! (y)