Mixed match madness

Golfgirly

Visit site
Hello everyone!
My hubby & I played a mixed match the other day.
On hole number 8 green, 3 of us had holed out & the 4th person was standing by her marker, & she bent down & picked up. Her partner who was heading to their cart, turned back & said “you didn’t pick up did you? You get a stroke on this hole!!” At this point my hubby had a bird with 3 strokes. The opponent was laying 3 putting for 4 which would be a saw off if she made the putt.
Her partner comes across the green, points to a spot & says you were right here. She replaces her marker, puts her ball down, putts & makes it for a 4, net 3.
Her partner approaches my hubby & says “ you’re ok with that, right?”As we drive to number 9 tee I turn to hubby & say “ I’m not ok with how that went down” he apologizes for not discussing it with me… I approach the opponents & I say “ I’m sorry,I’m not ok with that”
I felt bad because we were already 5 up on them & it was either going to be a tie or a stroke for us but I believed their actions to be incorrect .
They acquiesced immediately & we took the point.
I believe once she picked up her marker that was an act of conceding the hole but for the life of me I can’t find a ruling to back this up….Anyone have any info?
I would be forever grateful!
Thanks in advance!

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Everyone has done it, everyone has seen it done. It was a simple miscount by them. But as soon as the marker as lifted - it’s over.

End of.

And assuming this wasn’t a friendly game, for anyone to say “it was around here” means they haven’t grasped the basics. No one likes to win like that, however it’s their responsibility to know where their shots are and how many they’ve had. Don’t feel bad, it’ll happen you some day!

Golfgirly

Visit site
Everyone has done it, everyone has seen it done. It was a simple miscount by them. But as soon as the marker as lifted - it’s over.

End of.

And assuming this wasn’t a friendly game, for anyone to say “it was around here” means they haven’t grasped the basics. No one likes to win like that, however it’s their responsibility to know where their shots are and how many they’ve had. Don’t feel bad, it’ll happen you some day!
T

End of.

Thanks for your response…. I’m still looking for a rule that states what happens when a player picks up their marker with the intention of conceding the hole.
So far as I can find, it is a one stroke penalty for accidentally picking up the marker, which doesn’t really cover the entire scenario…

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
T
Thanks for your response…. I’m still looking for a rule that states what happens when a player picks up their marker with the intention of conceding the hole.
So far as I can find, it is a one stroke penalty for accidentally picking up the marker, which doesn’t really cover the entire scenario…
If that is their clear intention they have conceded the hole. The concession cannot be withdrawn unless the opponent has given wrong information.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Sounds to me like it was an absent minded mistake, rather than an overt act of concession.

One shot penalty for picking up the marker, as per the rule quoted by others and replace the ball, which means they would now have a putt for a gross 5, nett 4 which wouldn't be good enough to halve the hole any way.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
If that is their clear intention they have conceded the hole. The concession cannot be withdrawn unless the opponent has given wrong information.
I wouldn't say though that picking up a marker is a clear intention to concede the hole, but an act aknowledging that the hole had been lost, all be it, in this case, incorrectly. The player is thereforee entitled to replace the ball under penalty.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hello everyone!
My hubby & I played a mixed match the other day.
On hole number 8 green, 3 of us had holed out & the 4th person was standing by her marker, & she bent down & picked up. Her partner who was heading to their cart, turned back & said “you didn’t pick up did you? You get a stroke on this hole!!” At this point my hubby had a bird with 3 strokes. The opponent was laying 3 putting for 4 which would be a saw off if she made the putt.
Her partner comes across the green, points to a spot & says you were right here. She replaces her marker, puts her ball down, putts & makes it for a 4, net 3.
Her partner approaches my hubby & says “ you’re ok with that, right?”As we drive to number 9 tee I turn to hubby & say “ I’m not ok with how that went down” he apologizes for not discussing it with me… I approach the opponents & I say “ I’m sorry,I’m not ok with that”
I felt bad because we were already 5 up on them & it was either going to be a tie or a stroke for us but I believed their actions to be incorrect .
They acquiesced immediately & we took the point.
I believe once she picked up her marker that was an act of conceding the hole but for the life of me I can’t find a ruling to back this up….Anyone have any info?
I would be forever grateful!
Thanks in advance!

I've got to admit if i was 5 up through 7 holes, then whilst frustrating they made the mistake and their partner tried to rectify without asking, I'd say fine and play on given it's meant to be fun. Just stress to them to be more careful in future.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wouldn't say though that picking up a marker is a clear intention to concede the hole, but an act aknowledging that the hole had been lost, all be it, in this case, incorrectly. The player is thereforee entitled to replace the ball under penalty.
I chose my words carefully.

Golfgirly

Visit site
Thanks for all the input!
This was a friendly but intense game with a bit of history charging it up lol
I’ve searched & searched & still haven’t found a clear ruling.
I understand if you accidentally pick up, you can replace & putt out with a one stroke penalty. I also “believe” if by picking up your marker with the intention that the hole has been won then it’s over. (I do believe it’s every player’s responsibility to know if they get strokes on the hole… hubby & I have made this mistake in the past & just assumed it’s a loss for us).
I wasn’t prepared to bite my tongue and just let them have it regardless of the score…. I’ve seen the shift that can happen in match play & things happen quickly.
I would really like to find a clear ruling in black & white.
I do love match play & all the dynamics that come with it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've got to admit if i was 5 up through 7 holes, then whilst frustrating they made the mistake and their partner tried to rectify without asking, I'd say fine and play on given it's meant to be fun. Just stress to them to be more careful in future.
Agreed. I'd have let them have it.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks for all the input!
This was a friendly but intense game with a bit of history charging it up lol
I’ve searched & searched & still haven’t found a clear ruling.
I understand if you accidentally pick up, you can replace & putt out with a one stroke penalty. I also “believe” if by picking up your marker with the intention that the hole has been won then it’s over. (I do believe it’s every player’s responsibility to know if they get strokes on the hole… hubby & I have made this mistake in the past & just assumed it’s a loss for us).
I wasn’t prepared to bite my tongue and just let them have it regardless of the score…. I’ve seen the shift that can happen in match play & things happen quickly.
I would really like to find a clear ruling in black & white.
I do love match play & all the dynamics that come with it.

I'm not sure this is very helpful, but Rule 3b(2) covers how a concession is made. It would seem to me that in the incident you describe that the player was not conceding the hole, but picking up the ball in the believe that they had lost the hole. The only way to get a clear view though is to ask the player what their intention was in picking up the ball.

Rule 9 though tells us that in picking the ball, the player incurred a one stroke penalty and must replace the ball in oerder to continue the hole. So you won the hole regardless.

Golfgirly

Visit site
I'm not sure this is very helpful, but Rule 3b(2) covers how a concession is made. It would seem to me that in the incident you describe that the player was not conceding the hole, but picking up the ball in the believe that they had lost the hole. The only way to get a clear view though is to ask the player what their intention was in picking up the ball.

Rule 9 though tells us that in picking the ball, the player incurred a one stroke penalty and must replace the ball in oerder to continue the hole. So you won the hole regardless.
Thanks for your input! I find it interesting that it’s somewhat unclear in a game with so many rules….

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Thanks for your input! I find it interesting that it’s somewhat unclear in a game with so many rules….
Actually, having been a Ref/Umpire in several other sports, I've always been surprised how few actual Rules are required. There have been lots of 'Decisions' documented in the past though.
Check out the Rules of Rugby Football if you want to see many and complicated rules!