Iron covers

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had neoprene irons covers for years. Keeps them quiet when moving around the course and don't take any time to remove or put on.
Each to their own.
Totally agree. I don't bother with them myself but no problem with people that do. I find the way people go on about it like its a big issue a bit childish and pathetic really

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Iron covers are a type of canary in the mine. The are the trigger signal that an unfortunate has gone off the deep end in golf equipment purchasing. They have lost their reason, and are no not only buying things that they dont need, to feed their golf obsession, but are buying things that serve no rational purpose, waste their and everyone else's time on the course, and, make them look like a prat. The only upside is their function as a signal to family, friends, playing partners, and humanity in general, that this poor person needs help, and they need it bad.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Question. How many of you who moan about iron head covers have head covers on your woods?

For me it's a non issue , but it's the rubbish people come out with about how they protect them then proceed to hit them at 100mph

Woods are slightly different as the finish on them at the top does chip off as it doesn't come into contact with the ground unless your drop it

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For me it's a non issue , but it's the rubbish people come out with about how they protect them then proceed to hit them at 100mph

Woods are slightly different as the finish on them at the top does chip off as it doesn't come into contact with the ground unless your drop it
I disagree its rubbish. You hit your irons what, 5 times per club maybe each round? Against a relatively soft (when compared to a metal clubface) ball that also compresses when hit. Compare that to the potential damage caused to sharp groove edges caused by irons knocking together on every step you take. How many steps is a average round? 8000 maybe? Thats 8000 metal on metal knocks against 5 against a soft ball.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I disagree its rubbish. You hit your irons what, 5 times per club maybe each round? Against a relatively soft (when compared to a metal clubface) ball that also compresses when hit. Compare that to the potential damage caused to sharp groove edges caused by irons knocking together on every step you take. How many steps is a average round? 8000 maybe? Thats 8000 metal on metal knocks against 5 against a soft ball.

At what speed and impact? Unless you throw your bag on the floor on a path (which still won't dent them most of time)

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
At what speed and impact? Unless you throw your bag on the floor on a path (which still won't dent them most of time)
I'm not suggesting they'll get dented, but anyone who's ever worked with metal knows that if you constantly knock away at a sharp machined edge such as a clubface groove with another hard material it will eventually deform, speed and impact are irrelevant

sunshine

Visit site
Totally agree. I don't bother with them myself but no problem with people that do. I find the way people go on about it like its a big issue a bit childish and pathetic really
Yes it is childish, and I don’t think anyone is really bothered. But still funny.

Woods and hybrids are usually finished with paint or lacquer which can chip or scratch and affects the finish and aesthetics.

Irons are just a lump of steel. They don’t chip and a scratch doesn’t matter. Putting a cover on a sand wedge seems to be rather odd when the club is used to swing through a bunker full of sand, grit and small stones.

Are you sure you’re not a secret iron cover user?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
The wife did by me a set when I got my MP 4 blades, but tbh, it was just something else to lose. If you want to use them do so, if not, don't.

D

Deleted member 23344

I have iron covers, but only for transit. I used to use them on the course, but it was a bit of a faff.