if you could change one thing at your course, what would it be?

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
If I was forced to pick just 1 thing, then it would be DRAINAGE to make it more playable for more of the year

If I had more choices, it would be
2) Some Level tee boxes, think theyve buried a couple of elephants under some.....
3) The same sand in all the bunkers, reckon we got 2 or 3 different types, and the same amount in each would be a Bonus too

Level teeing ground comes up a lot.

Not surprising as teeing area tends to shift due to constant cutting.

Wayman

Tour Winner
Visit site
what's wrong with them? They look to comply well with the CONGU recomendations.

our SI 18 is the 4th hole but they have even looked back at the records of people scores on that hole over the year and its playing around SI 7 roughly strange i think

16th is our hardest hole on course but its SI 3 as they say its to late in the round to be SI 1

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I would put a dome over it and have perfect conditions all year LOL... Nah not really would take the challenge of the elements away.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
We start with a tough par 3. For me it means such a slow start to the round. I like the hole but wish it was later in the round.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
16th is our hardest hole on course but its SI 3 as they say its to late in the round to be SI 1

'they' are correct

SI isn't about hardest or easiest - the position of the hole in the round is more important. the latest version of the advice on setting SIs does include reference to 'difficulty can be a factor' but previous versions didn't even include that! The Australian Golf Union has a recommended pattern of SIs regardless of difficulty - and this is applied to most courses out there now.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
We start with a tough par 3. For me it means such a slow start to the round. I like the hole but wish it was later in the round.

Isn't that good for spreading out the field early on?.. I like the idea of a long par3 to start... but not one that needs a 4-iron :mad:

(5-wood would be perfik!) :D

dotty001

Challenge Tour Pro
www.quidco.com
the par 3s would have several different tees , changing the yardage daily

i love that about par3s , one day the hole plays 120yrds the next it plays 160yds the next it plays 200yds

especially works with downhill par 3s

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Isn't that good for spreading out the field early on?.. I like the idea of a long par3 to start... but not one that needs a 4-iron :mad:

(5-wood would be perfik!) :D

It definitely spreads the field. Raised tee and green, plays 165yds usually into the prevailing (links)wind - totally dead right and half dead left. Most are happy with a 4, and there are a lot of 5's.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Have to agree with Hawkeye's statement and turn the two nines around so we aren't starting on a 220+ yard par three. Plenty of hanging around even off the yellows (170 yards) and if we started on the 400 yard 10th two groups could be on the hole and it is right outside the pro shop and locker room so it could be managed better.

Other than that I'd die for a proper short game area with a decent green kept to the standard of those on the course. Sadly our practice area is turned into a coach park in Royal Ascot week so nowhere to build it there. There isn't really anywhere else bar a 40 yard area to the left of the 10th by a big property (think they would have objections) and given the cost to build it I don't think it will happen anytime soon

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Think the only thing I would change would be to replace our casual 10th par 3 with the medal 10th par 3 as it's a much better golf hole and more of a challenge. Best bit about comp day's is getting to the 10th.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I like my course layout, bunkers are good and well kept but i've a small gipe about GUR, if it's GUR then repair it. We have two large shrubs that were taken out nearly three years ago, they are still marked GUR and are getting no work done to them.

We had 1 tee box with a terrible front to back slope but thats being fixed over winter.

The one major change not to the course but the club, we are in the throws of a soft intro over winter with a proper online booking system, we still had the old ball in the chute system which was murder on a Sunday morning when the weekly sweep would stick 6 balls in and tie up an hour. It made it extremely difficult to take a guest up on a Sunday morning.