if you could change one thing at your course, what would it be?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'm fairly happy with my home course all but for a few minor issues on condition etc.

but there is one thing that does get my goat.

So if you had the power to change one thing at your club at the moment, anything at all not just the course, what would it be?

Mine is the bunkers, we are a Championship links with nice deep revetted bunkers, they then go and rake soft sand halfway up the face so most of the time when your ball runs in it very often just ends up plugged in th face. not raking it up the revetting would stop this straight away, but the club just don't see it as a problem:)

over to you?

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I'm fairly happy with my home course all but for a few minor issues on condition etc.

but there is one thing that does get my goat.

So if you had the power to change one thing at your club at the moment, anything at all not just the course, what would it be?

Mine is the bunkers, we are a Championship links with nice deep revetted bunkers, they then go and rake soft sand halfway up the face so most of the time when your ball runs in it very often just ends up plugged in th face. not raking it up the revetting would stop this straight away, but the club just don't see it as a problem:)

over to you?

They are raking it correctly,I suggest it's the sand that is the issue.

A couple of new tees to turn good holes into stunning ones. Wouldn't take much to do either.

Oh and the bunkers,they do what you want your to do and 9 times out of ten you need to have one leg to play your shot.

Last edited:

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'd move it somewhere hotter.

yes - but my kitchen is a tad small!

Our bunkers are inconsistent - You could end up in a ton of sand and fat it out or on a millimetre and send the ball 50 yards over the back.

Also, all 4 par 3s between 165 yards and 185 yards. I wish we had more variation here.

Oh and if you go of line you have had it! Although to be fair they are clearing alot of the rubbish out.

I appreciate thats 3 things btw!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I'd like it to be moved somewhere cooler but since I only get one then I'd like to remove much of the fairway ornamental planting and replace it with fairway (or rough/bunker etc if it must be a 'hazard')

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'd switch the nines back round to the way it was designed so I didn't have to play our 229yd par 3 as the first hole but it's a minor issue. This time last year I would have had a lot of gripes but the new Course Manager is doing a fabulous job so nothing really to complain about at the moment.

D

Deleted member 1147

I wish we had more bunkers which are in play for the bigger hitters.
Most of us just knock the ball straight over them without thinking about it.
We then get moaned at by the old boys for whom they are in the perfect place to catch out!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
They are raking it correctly,I suggest it's the sand that is the issue.

A couple of new tees to turn good holes into stunning ones. Wouldn't take much to do either.

Oh and the bunkers,they do what yours do just now and 9 times out of ten you need to have one leg to play your shot.

do doubt, trouble is they changed the sand a couple of years ago when it was less fluffy but quite a few small stones in it.

its been ok the last month as no one is bothering to go out every morning and rake it up the front as all the greenies are doing other things around the course. And though you might end up in a foot print its still better than plugged in the face;)

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
do doubt, trouble is they changed the sand a couple of years ago when it was less fluffy but quite a few small stones in it.

its been ok the last month as no one is bothering to go out every morning and rake it up the front as all the greenies are doing other things around the course. And though you might end up in a foot print its still better than plugged in the face;)

I cocked up my reply patrick,what they do at ours is what you are wanting done at yours.......trust me you don't.

All that happens at ours is that the ball seldom finds anywhere but the perimeter of the bunker be that the front,back or sides.

All good bunkers should have sand pushed toward the face to an extent but you also need the right sand.

90% of the answers on here will be about bunkers I bet!;)

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Drainage......................I want links style drainage on an inland course..............that would mean uninterupted golf hopefully.

Who cares about bunkers, they are traps....get over it :smirk: seewhatidid

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I really like the course even though it would be interesting if they lengthened a couple of holes and they do have the room to do it.

My major gripe is with the people who have the contract for the catering and the morons who go to the AGM the other week and vote against ways to move forward.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I suppose the best thing to do is make the fairways 20 yards wider, remove all the trees and tilt the greens towards you so you can hit any club onto them and stop it, irrelevant of how hard they are.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I cocked up my reply patrick,what they do at ours is what you are wanting done at yours.......trust me you don't.

All that happens at ours is that the ball seldom finds anywhere but the perimeter of the bunker be that the front,back or sides.

All good bunkers should have sand pushed toward the face to an extent but you also need the right sand.

90% of the answers on here will be about bunkers I bet!;)

Alan, you are prob right, Dornoch ake it up a bit but nothing like as extreme as ours. for instance the big greenside bunker on 3, left side of the green. is a case in point the bunkers is prob 10 or 12 feet deep but the sand is up 5 or six feet of the face and you will be plugged in it 9 out 10 times. what the point having a bunker that deep only to push most of the sand up the face!!!

I did notice they didn't do that at Carnoustie or the open venue this year.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
When our course goes back to the blue medal tees . all it does is make the hole longer . i dont mind fact its longer but a different angle or different positioning of the teeboxes esp on the par 3 ? make it look & play different not just longer