if you could change one thing at your course, what would it be?

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Would like to change the changing room at my place. It can't be called a locker room as there are none :( it is reminiscent of school changing rooms in the pe block but with a bit of carpet down.

Last edited:

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Although our bunkers are very inconsistent, our beer prices far too high, food too expensive and the tee boxes not maintained as well as they could be. If I had to plump for a single thing it would be better definition between fairway, 2nd cut and rough. I would also like to see some water on our course, ponds that is, not rain ;)

Phil2511

Global Moderator
www.britespark.org
Although our bunkers are very inconsistent, our beer prices far too high, food too expensive and the tee boxes not maintained as well as they could be. If I had to plump for a single thing it would be better definition between fairway, 2nd cut and rough. I would also like to see some water on our course, ponds that is, not rain ;)

Apart the lack of water this sounds a lot like my place.
£11.50 for Cheeseburger (frozen chip shop type) small portion of chips and a tin of coke. £4.95 in chippy down the road.
Drink is equivalent of a fancy nightclub.
Then they wonder why people don't support the place.
Teeboxes on most of our back 9 are very uneven. Hard to find a decent place to peg it up.
They did work on many bunkers at start of the season but used terrible sand, like builders sand. Really horrible when its wet and worse when it's dry.

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
Being able to get some breakfast after an early morning round, kitchen doesn't open until 12. Course wise I wouldn't change a thing

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Have to agree with Hawkeye's statement and turn the two nines around so we aren't starting on a 220+ yard par three. Plenty of hanging around even off the yellows (170 yards)

Seems a classic situiation to have group on reaching the greem mark their balls, stand aside and wave next group to tee off.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd shorten one of our par 3's.

About 210 yards and you have about a 2 inch square to land on to stay on the very, very narrow green. Huge bank and OOB left with a deep bunker the green runs towards on the right.

One of those holes where you can hit a great tee shot and not get any reward. Conversely hit a bad shot left and you've more chance of being on the green. Would be a difficult green to hit with an 8 iron so not sure why they've made it so long. One of the other par 3's (which is about 150-160) has room to move the tee back and is much more suited to a long par 3.

Other than that (being greedy :)) I'd be after a better short game practice area, it might motivate me to do some practice!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
our SI 18 is the 4th hole but they have even looked back at the records of people scores on that hole over the year and its playing around SI 7 roughly strange i think

16th is our hardest hole on course but its SI 3 as they say its to late in the round to be SI 1

Quite a bit of talk around our place over SI. We've been doing a bunker improvement programme and have just completed our 16th. It is 373yds par 4 SI 11. Tee shot is straight forward (OOB down right and jungle down left - but fairly wide landing area) but due to OOB many take a fairway wood, hybrid or long iron.

Difficulty comes with second shot which can often be 160+ yds. But it is completely blind. Loads of crap aand OOB right and behind the narrow (front to back) green but level approach and wide opening between front greenside bunkers. So many will deliberately or otherwise play short and the ball gets onto the green.

The new front bunkers change that completely as they have been brought in tight and there is no straight 2nd shot 'bump and run' to the putting surface. Off most drives to get on the green we will have to play over a big, deep front bunker from 160+ yds. It's going to be tough and merits lower SI than 11. But hey - makes for more fun.

Secretary says Committee agree new bunkers quite significantly change the difficulty of some holes - but it generally evens out between the front and back nine. Just means that as currently off 12 I will have to forget counting upon my fairly regular net birdie.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Seems a classic situiation to have group on reaching the greem mark their balls, stand aside and wave next group to tee off.

The hanging around is waiting for people to get to the green, it isn't the easiest target to hit with your first shot of the day and half the field can't reach it anyway.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Quite a bit of talk around our place over SI. We've been doing a bunker improvement programme and have just completed our 16th. It is 373yds par 4 SI 11. Tee shot is straight forward (OOB down right and jungle down left - but fairly wide landing area) but due to OOB many take a fairway wood, hybrid or long iron.

Difficulty comes with second shot which can often be 160+ yds. But it is completely blind. Loads of crap aand OOB right and behind the narrow (front to back) green but level approach and wide opening between front greenside bunkers. So many will deliberately or otherwise play short and the ball gets onto the green.

The new front bunkers change that completely as they have been brought in tight and there is no straight 2nd shot 'bump and run' to the putting surface. Off most drives to get on the green we will have to play over a big, deep front bunker from 160+ yds. It's going to be tough and merits lower SI than 11. But hey - makes for more fun.

Secretary says Committee agree new bunkers quite significantly change the difficulty of some holes - but it generally evens out between the front and back nine. Just means that as currently off 12 I will have to forget counting upon my fairly regular net birdie.

Can I be the first to say that SI isn't supposed to be a reflection of difficulty, however, if the bunkering has changed the overall course difficulty, then a SSS evaluation might be in order.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site

The 16th at Farnham originally had the tee much further forward, so that your second shot was with a wedge to a green designed to take a short second, not a mid iron as now. One of my pet hates is lengthening holes for the sake of it. Greens were designed for the type of shot they will receive. Long par fours should have large greens, shorter holes smaller greens. :rant:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The 16th at Farnham originally had the tee much further forward, so that your second shot was with a wedge to a green designed to take a short second, not a mid iron as now. One of my pet hates is lengthening holes for the sake of it. Greens were designed for the type of shot they will receive. Long par fours should have large greens, shorter holes smaller greens. :rant:

But ALL of our greens a little :(

I'll generally be hitting something like an 8i or 9i in as I'm comfortable keeping it straight off the tee so not too bothered - except I'll have to make sure that I club up to make sure I clear the bunker - no bad thing. But it is generating a lot of discussion in respect of it's SI when compared to other par 4s on the course. But as commented - SI is not just a reflection of difficulty - I understand that. I think the old tee is obsolete nowadays as all most players reasonable off the tee would drive far enough to not have a blind seciond shot - and I like the challenge of an occasional blind second.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
But ALL of our greens a little :(

I'll generally be hitting something like an 8i or 9i in as I'm comfortable keeping it straight off the tee so not too bothered - except I'll have to make sure that I club up to make sure I clear the bunker - no bad thing. But it is generating a lot of discussion in respect of it's SI when compared to other par 4s on the course. But as commented - SI is not just a reflection of difficulty - I understand that. I think the old tee is obsolete nowadays as all most players reasonable off the tee would drive far enough to not have a blind seciond shot - and I like the challenge of an occasional blind second.

Yes but it is a small green, with heavy trouble a few feet behind, and a few to the right. Fine for a short shot, but for a longer iron ? I am assuming they haven't cleared around the green, if so, please ignore my previous remarks.

I always found the greens at Farnham, some of the hardest to hole putts on, as they are mainly flat with very subtle breaks. Even after 20 years of membership I still couldn't read them.:(

sweatysock41

Q-School Graduate
www.oakridgegolfclub.co.uk
I would change the 6th Green at ours, it's a 420 yd downhill Par 4 with a green that has succumbed to subsidence and now slopes away from you with OOB behind. The greens are firm anyway so in summer you have to land at least 20 yds short of the green and trust to the luck of a good bounce avoiding the 3 bunkers short of the green to have any chance of holding it.

We had a similar issue with our short par 4 4th and they built the green up a couple of years ago to slope from back to front - I hope they do the same with the 6th.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Yes but it is a small green, with heavy trouble a few feet behind, and a few to the right. Fine for a short shot, but for a longer iron ? I am assuming they haven't cleared around the green, if so, please ignore my previous remarks.

I always found the greens at Farnham, some of the hardest to hole putts on, as they are mainly flat with very subtle breaks. Even after 20 years of membership I still couldn't read them.:(

They've cleared the gorse from immediately behind the 16th green - but it still isn't a nice place to be. And as far as the greens - quite. I've been a member nearly 10yrs and still managed to four putt the 5th on Saturday :(