iCloud

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Just got a message saying that my iCloud storage is/has reached its maximum!

--------------------------------------------------------------

Your iCloud storage is almost full. You have 499.9 MB remaining of 5 GB total storage.
Upgrade to 50 GB for £0.79 per month
Your iCloud storage is used for iCloud Photo Library, iCloud Mail and to keep the most important things on your iPhone, iPad and iPod touch safe and available, even if you lose your device. iCloud Drive, and apps like Keynote, Pages and Numbers also use iCloud storage to keep your files up-to-date everywhere.
To continue to use iCloud and to back up your photos, documents, contacts, mail and more, you need to upgrade your iCloud storage plan or reduce the amoun

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do I need to do this, I don't knowingly use iCloud, I'm pretty sure I downloaded it but it's not something I have accessed, well I don't think so as I don't fully understand it.

I appreciate it's a miserly 0.79 p/month, but is it detrimental for me to not go with it?

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
What it comes down too, is peace of mind. My iPhone died last week after getting soaked. When my new one arrived, I simply restored my new phone to exactly how my old phone was setup (that includes, app, photos, contacts, basically a complete image of my old phone)
Now you could copy all your media off your phone onto a computer and drop below the 5gb free threshold, or just pay the 79p and continue to use your phone as is.
It's worth the 79p IMO

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
I upgraded recently and found the same so much easier with iCloud. Have also now got an iPad as well as phone and the sync with both through iCloud is really very good but also scary at times!

Fish

Banned
Visit site
What it comes down too, is peace of mind. My iPhone died last week after getting soaked. When my new one arrived, I simply restored my new phone to exactly how my old phone was setup (that includes, app, photos, contacts, basically a complete image of my old phone)
Now you could copy all your media off your phone onto a computer and drop below the 5gb free threshold, or just pay the 79p and continue to use your phone as is.
It's worth the 79p IMO

This is a good point, I am recently being given an iPhone 6s, I currently have just the 6 and it's been constantly playing up, knowing I can flip everything over like for like is very appealing.

I can only find 1 app on my phone and that's called iCloud Drive, when I select this it says at the very bottom "0 items, 504.6MB available on iCloud" then underneath that in red it says "iCloud storage is almost full - upgrade>" Both those statements to a layman like me seem to contradict themselves? So where is all this storage and can I look at it and delete content from it freeing up storage?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I guess it depends where you are storing all your pictures and contacts on your phone. I assume you are using an SD card for the photos? If you are then you should be fine, if your photos are just on the phones then I would look to using one of the back up options

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
I guess it depends where you are storing all your pictures and contacts on your phone. I assume you are using an SD card for the photos? If you are then you should be fine, if your photos are just on the phones then I would look to using one of the back up options

there are no SD cards not even a slot, on iphones or any apple device only the built in hard drive.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
This is a good point, I am recently being given an iPhone 6s, I currently have just the 6 and it's been constantly playing up, knowing I can flip everything over like for like is very appealing.

I can only find 1 app on my phone and that's called iCloud Drive, when I select this it says at the very bottom "0 items, 504.6MB available on iCloud" then underneath that in red it says "iCloud storage is almost full - upgrade>" Both those statements to a layman like me seem to contradict themselves? So where is all this storage and can I look at it and delete content from it freeing up storage?
iCloud is not an app. Its a service. You do not download it like you would Facebook.

Go into settings->Storage& iCloud Usage->iCloud-Manage storage
You'll then be able to see how you are using your allowance. 99% sure it'll be on a iPhone backup.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
really? have an SD slot on my phone and my contacts store on google for free
Now we could get into the whole apple is a rip off thing all day long. But the service works and if you're willing to pay to upgrade (you don't have to upgrade, you get 5gb totally for free) for peace of mind and ease of use. Who cares?

and your also storing stuff on the cloud, just googles version. (Google Drive)

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Before starting to spend the dosh (will it ever stop once started) go through your phone and delete all the rubbish in icloud that you no longer need and you might be surprised that you can free up 2-3 GB nae bother

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Before starting to spend the dosh (will it ever stop once started) go through your phone and delete all the rubbish in icloud that you no longer need and you might be surprised that you can free up 2-3 GB nae bother

exactly, take a backup of all your photo's and if you dont need them on the handset, remove them! I have 500+ photos and 90 videos and im not at my 5GB limit yet, I am getting the warnings though, so will remove/backup and then delete from the handset.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Correct, it's amazing what is stored

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies, I had fun yesterday and had to buy the extra storage as I couldn't back up my old 6 to transfer everything to my new 6s, and what fun that was also, but I got there eventually and completely cloned my original phone look for look along with all it's content, pretty clever eh :cool:

Haven't noticed what the main difference is yet between the 6 & 6s but I'm not getting any of the issues I did with my 6 so I'm happy :thup:

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies, I had fun yesterday and had to buy the extra storage as I couldn't back up my old 6 to transfer everything to my new 6s, and what fun that was also, but I got there eventually and completely cloned my original phone look for look along with all it's content, pretty clever eh :cool:

Haven't noticed what the main difference is yet between the 6 & 6s but I'm not getting any of the issues I did with my 6 so I'm happy :thup:

Main difference between the 6 and 6S is speed, and the 6S's screen is pressure sensitive.

http://www.apple.com/iphone-6s/3d-touch/

I think the camera is a bit better but I don't notice that as I don't use it much.

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
You can switch iCloud of and still save your data to iTunes using a cable. Then when you change phones just plug the phone to your laptop and all the data should transfer over.