Hunstanton

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Not constructive!!!!!? Tell me the last time you've walked down a fairway and seen 30+ newly filled in divots ALL IN ONE AREA????? Only when someone has been out practicing? The Pros were nowhere to be seen. They were not giving lessons! Ladies were faffing on the first tee, when a little nod to us to let us go before them, would have given the ladies rushing about more time to get herself organised. It wasn't about us being let though it was more , I figure, her being pig headed and not willing to allow us to go out in front of her two ball. Green greens? or mottled ones? I've never seen mottled ones, except when the greenstaff are utter poo! But again, I am open to ANYONE explaining why they could be this way and yet be classed as top 100 type greens in August. Hillside didn't have them. Carnoustie even in middle on September. Or Fleetwood in April. Speaking of Fleetwood, ron, get yourself up there and play the place before you dismiss what I say. Fancy dismissing a place before you've even played the course. How the hell do you know? I've played both, so CAN GIVE AN OPINION! I wasn't critisising the place for painting, but saying that the person in question should have said that refurbishment was taking place and it would have been a better idea for us to eat somewhere else. But they didn't. I'm fully aware that links, or in fact any course may have bits that might not look great, but a feature bunker in the middle of the fairway on a "top 100" course, er no. Very poor. I will also add that the fairways were on occasion bereft of some grass. Sprinker heads bluddy everywhere. Maybe if they had turned the things on the grass would get much needed water.
Look at how you respond. Rant rant rant. If you deliver criticism in that manner, no matter how well intended it won’t be paid any attention. Your mind was made up on the place based on some phone calls to even going there.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
It was totally constructive if you break it down to how the customer was managed before he arrives and setting the expectation levels. It’s arrogant to dismiss guests as mild irritation that disrupt the members run of the course and extremely short sighted. Whilst some of the feedback from the OP was personal, it all stemmed from not feeling like a worthwhile customer both before and during the visit - hence not feeling like value for money was given.

It’s onky a mistake to manage guests like that, IF you rely on them. If not, then they aren’t the priority.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Sounds like the high horse riding into town. The OP on the other thread said he'd give the club the benefit and clearly the experience didn't match up. As it happens I thought his expectations were way higher than the club could deliver but I think your fanatical support for what the club has done is trying to prove a point

Irony overload 🙄🙄

D

Deleted member 15344

ok then.

Is this place worth £90 and a ranking in the top 100. Now I'm going to include the lot golf. It's all related. And compared to others I've played in the top 100 and even Links that aren't (Fleetwood and St Annes Old Course both of which are so far in front of this place it beggars belief why this is even in the top 100).

First contact. Can you call back I'm dealing with something (I could hear in the back ground something going on) This IMO is poor. I could have been Lord Lucan booking a round with my mates before I die). Second contact. Went well. Booked. Third contact to check on breakfast availability. Person had no idea and had to go and ask. Thank god we didn't choose this as they were painting the inside of the damn place when we arrived!!!!! That would have been wonderful. On arrival. Car park is a sliver of ground. Is thios really their car park? We weren't sure. Oh and loose stones down. Poor. We walked into the Pro shop. No Pro...on a Friday! Some miserable woman who didn't greet us on entering. Barely looked up. I had to ask / inform her we were booked in. Shockingly poor customer service for £180 !!!!! Oh and no directions given to the changing rooms we had to ask. No "have you played her before" etc etc. Poor. First tee. Two ladies fannying around, one was obviously late. No appologies to us as we watched this lady faff about. No attempt to let us go in front of her and her playing partner,which could have made her less rushed. Poor. Coming off the first "green" a ball bounced up to us and rolled under our trollies where we stood. We were playing down wind. I'd was already plissed off and marched down the fairway to confront this person, who appologised saying he didn't realise it had gone so far. Ok no probs. BUT. It turned out this was a member and a committee member as well !!!!! Who didn't know how far he could hit his ball down wind on his own course. Flaming poor. They stayed well back for the rest of the round! Oh first fairway was, at a certain point. full of filled in divots. It looked as though someone had been practising firing into the green. Don't give me this was a landing area. LIES !!!!!!! Greens...now I could be way off on this, but I think greens should be green coloured and for £90 each, they should be. But apparently I'm wrong. They can be yellow and mottled and brown and multi coloured on links courses. Apparently. I'VE NEVER SEEN THIS ANYWHERE EVER. I'm open to help here on this. But I call BS. POOR. They ran true though. No sand in some of the bunkers. POOR. Although it had rained hard on the day we played and compacted them LIES. It rained a bit. Wife never got her waterproof on. Course looked scruffy. On massive bunker on 17th I think it was looked so unkempt I thought it was being left to become over grown and out of play, but hell no the tiny bit of sand in it had been racked so was in play, but for £90????? Seriously.

To conclude the place was not worth anymore than £30, both me and the wife agreed with this. Oh and I met with the committe fella in the changing rooms afterwards, and he appologiesed again and asked what I thought of the course. I appologised to him and gave him BOTH BARRELS!!!!!! To his stunned face. I have also contacted the club sec and given him have views.. Sorry Homer you're way off beam. I'm way past the age where I'll be walked all over when I've paid to; price for something and received and inferior product. Just ask the manager of the Brewers Fayre in Kings Lynn!!!!! We'll never eat in there again!!!!!.

So after reading this do you think I got my moneys worth? Hang on I'll help

1. No
2. Hell no

On this webpage there is a review from 3 weeks ago

https://www.top100golfcourses.com/golf-course/hunstanton

Now if someone reads your review and that review which one do you think most golfers would think is a true reflection of the golf club ?

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s onky a mistake to manage guests like that, IF you rely on them. If not, then they aren’t the priority.
I guess my (wider) point is golf clubs can’t rest on their reputation to either please members, attract visitors or both. I can’t believe staff turn on the service to members and drop standards for visitors as they are not the priority - you either treat people well or you don’t.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Having read the last few pages whilst chillin on me hols. Glad to say i wont be going back. You can put Richmond GC in that category as well. There are some courses i have been to and quite frankly they have been rammel. If some fellow golfers have had a bad experience i thank them for sharing it. Others i have been to quite frankly have been above and beyond expectation. Chesterfield falls neatly into that category. I will deffo be going back and would advise others to do so. The world evolves around feedback both good and bad. I have used that feedback on here re courses in Ireland, Mauritius and Portugal to name a few. I have never been disappointed, so as well as thanking those that have helped and advised on what to play i have also listened on what not to play. Furthermore if it has been good for me, i will say so. If it has been rammel i will say so. However in Tashyboys review i will, contrary to some folks opinions. included will be VFM. And like the op i thought Sunny Hunny lacked VFM

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I guess my (wider) point is golf clubs can’t rest on their reputation to either please members, attract visitors or both. I can’t believe staff turn on the service to members and drop standards for visitors as they are not the priority - you either treat people well or you don’t.

I would agree they should treat everyone equally but for all we know, they’re equally abrupt with members.

Visit site
I generally expect rudeness from pro-shops, have found a lot to sound unhappy to be speaking to you but it has gone all the way to being downright rude, but then again I can't imagine a pro ever being particularly pleased about running a shop and doing admin, customer service etc.

D

Deleted member 1147

I don’t know that he’s been hammered for giving his opinion, more for the hyperbole, & criticism of things the club/course really has no part in (ie the ladies & the ball going through the green).

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
yes is pasted across their home page.

Pasted across? Hardly. Mentioned yes, trading off the back of it, no.

https://www.hunstantongolfclub.com

Located on the beautiful North West Norfolk coast, Hunstanton Golf Club is a superb championship links course.
Rated as one of Britain & Ireland's 'Top 100' courses, golfers have walked the rolling fairways nestling in a stunning landscape of dunes and links grasses for 125 years. Overlooking The Wash, Hunstanton is the only golf course on the east coast of England where the sun sets over the sea, providing striking views in both summer and winter.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Pasted across? Hardly. Mentioned yes, trading off the back of it, no.

https://www.hunstantongolfclub.com

Located on the beautiful North West Norfolk coast, Hunstanton Golf Club is a superb championship links course.
Rated as one of Britain & Ireland's 'Top 100' courses, golfers have walked the rolling fairways nestling in a stunning landscape of dunes and links grasses for 125 years. Overlooking The Wash, Hunstanton is the only golf course on the east coast of England where the sun sets over the sea, providing striking views in both summer and winter.
😴😴😴

User20204

Visit site
ok then.

Is this place worth £90 and a ranking in the top 100. Now I'm going to include the lot golf. It's all related. And compared to others I've played in the top 100 and even Links that aren't (Fleetwood and St Annes Old Course both of which are so far in front of this place it beggars belief why this is even in the top 100).

First contact. Can you call back I'm dealing with something (I could hear in the back ground something going on) This IMO is poor. I could have been Lord Lucan booking a round with my mates before I die). Second contact. Went well. Booked. Third contact to check on breakfast availability. Person had no idea and had to go and ask. Thank god we didn't choose this as they were painting the inside of the damn place when we arrived!!!!! That would have been wonderful. On arrival. Car park is a sliver of ground. Is thios really their car park? We weren't sure. Oh and loose stones down. Poor. We walked into the Pro shop. No Pro...on a Friday! Some miserable woman who didn't greet us on entering. Barely looked up. I had to ask / inform her we were booked in. Shockingly poor customer service for £180 !!!!! Oh and no directions given to the changing rooms we had to ask. No "have you played her before" etc etc. Poor. First tee. Two ladies fannying around, one was obviously late. No appologies to us as we watched this lady faff about. No attempt to let us go in front of her and her playing partner,which could have made her less rushed. Poor. Coming off the first "green" a ball bounced up to us and rolled under our trollies where we stood. We were playing down wind. I'd was already plissed off and marched down the fairway to confront this person, who appologised saying he didn't realise it had gone so far. Ok no probs. BUT. It turned out this was a member and a committee member as well !!!!! Who didn't know how far he could hit his ball down wind on his own course. Flaming poor. They stayed well back for the rest of the round! Oh first fairway was, at a certain point. full of filled in divots. It looked as though someone had been practising firing into the green. Don't give me this was a landing area. LIES !!!!!!! Greens...now I could be way off on this, but I think greens should be green coloured and for £90 each, they should be. But apparently I'm wrong. They can be yellow and mottled and brown and multi coloured on links courses. Apparently. I'VE NEVER SEEN THIS ANYWHERE EVER. I'm open to help here on this. But I call BS. POOR. They ran true though. No sand in some of the bunkers. POOR. Although it had rained hard on the day we played and compacted them LIES. It rained a bit. Wife never got her waterproof on. Course looked scruffy. On massive bunker on 17th I think it was looked so unkempt I thought it was being left to become over grown and out of play, but hell no the tiny bit of sand in it had been racked so was in play, but for £90????? Seriously.

To conclude the place was not worth anymore than £30, both me and the wife agreed with this. Oh and I met with the committe fella in the changing rooms afterwards, and he appologiesed again and asked what I thought of the course. I appologised to him and gave him BOTH BARRELS!!!!!! To his stunned face. I have also contacted the club sec and given him have views.. Sorry Homer you're way off beam. I'm way past the age where I'll be walked all over when I've paid to; price for something and received and inferior product. Just ask the manager of the Brewers Fayre in Kings Lynn!!!!! We'll never eat in there again!!!!!.

So after reading this do you think I got my moneys worth? Hang on I'll help

1. No
2. Hell no

I'm going to give that a 9.5 out of 10 of a rant :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It doesn’t matter what was said, the fact was the OP wasn’t left with a good experience and wasn’t in the best frame of mind before the visit (whether he should have actually gone is another matter!)

Thats fair enough, but I dont think he is separating first class service, VFM and a good/great golf course (subjective).

He mainly seems to be ranting about the service received (fair enough), but to say that a course shouldnt be top 100 because they have the temerity to paint the clubhouse, re-seed divots and also expect people to wave them through on the 1st tee is a different argument.

I could go to Huyton and Prescot, get the best brekky in the world, the mars bars at optimum temperature, the lucozade decanted to the right fizziness, get on for £3 in the middle of the monthly medal, but it still wouldnt be top 100.

Granted, only 80% of the marks are for the course, condition, views, but the other 20% are for the experience and the facilities. If it was done 80% for VFM and welcome and you could actually get every UK golf course marked a few times, there would be even bigger arguments, believe me.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
First contact. Can you call back I'm dealing with something (I could hear in the back ground something going on)

From the OP's general comments, I would take it that this one sided comment isn't verbatim. If it was actually said in a polite manner then probably excellent customer service IMO.

Why should a random phone call take precedence over dealing face to face with a customer, dealing with an emergency, pacifying a member who hadn't been let through, or whatever? I wonder how the OP would have felt if he was in the Pro shop, desperate to pay his green fee so he could get out before a group of juniors/ladies/seniors/society/others, and the Pro kept taking phone calls rather than his money.

I really get hacked off when I'm discussing a purchase in store and a phone call becomes more important. That's when I walk out and take my business elsewhere.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
It was totally constructive if you break it down to how the customer was managed before he arrives and setting the expectation levels. It’s arrogant to dismiss guests as mild irritation that disrupt the members run of the course and extremely short sighted. Whilst some of the feedback from the OP was personal, it all stemmed from not feeling like a worthwhile customer both before and during the visit - hence not feeling like value for money was given.

EXACTLY !!!!!! That's exactly how I feel!!!!!!!

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Phil - I have no idea why you feel the need to defend the Club so vehemently, can’t you see the gaps in the customer service before the OP got there that would have diffused and enhanced the visit. If they don’t want visitors, don’t offer green fees - if you offer fees at the level stated it should be memorable in a good way.

Christ alive. EXACTLY AGAIN !!!!