Hunstanton

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
This was the place. Utter garbage, and right up themselves. Avoid like the plague. Top 100? Not even in my top 50. Shocking shocking place. Just about worth £25 to play. Pay anymore and you've been done. Utterly disgraceful.

D

Deleted Member 1156

OK, rather than just slag it off why don't you provide a bit more detail?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
We all have courses that just don't float our boat and disappoint us, especially when you read so much hype and your expectations rise.

I can think of numerous courses that do that.

D

Deleted member 15344

This was the place. Utter garbage, and right up themselves. Avoid like the plague. Top 100? Not even in my top 50. Shocking shocking place. Just about worth £25 to play. Pay anymore and you've been done. Utterly disgraceful.

I play Hunstanton about 3 times a year , I know guys that play it 10 times and a country member

Can you please detail in a concise manner what you found was the issues because 6 weeks ago it was in it’s expected condition for a links course

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
We all have courses that just don't float our boat and disappoint us, especially when you read so much hype and your expectations rise.

Yep I've played plenty of highly rated courses and been left pretty underwhelmed.
The top 100 tag has to mean something otherwise it's just a waste of time

D

Deleted Member 1156

Agreed that people have different views and expectations but I've never heard a top 100 course called 'utter garbage' and 'utterly disgraceful' before. A typical Crazyface rant.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Agreed but it can be for a number of reasons. Sometimes a course just doesn't suit your eye. All for saying if things weren't good but all the OP has done in all the threads is slag it off without any detail and I doubt his even bothered to feed his complaints back

D

Deleted member 15344

You are spot on in regards there are some courses that people highly rate that others dont , and certainly dont hit all expecations

But i would hazard that most could see why some would rate them highly and why multiple golf media outlets etc rate them in their respective top 100 or 200 etc

But when the review is this

Well to all who snottilly dismissed my concerns, and due to restrictions, i cannot put this how I want to, you were way off mark.

From a miserable greeting in the pro shop to the 4 hours on the course, what an utterly shocking place. Whoever rates these courses should be sacked. I've NEVER EVER felt so cheated in all my life, and the wife played as well, and she said EXACTLY the same. For the money we shelled out, the fairways were a disgrace, the greens even worse. Unkempt bunkers. Bunkers with no sand in. If we'd paid £20, you'd shrug your shoulders and say, well what do you expect. But we didn't. and this place is rated, laughably, as a top 100 course. Get to........NOT A CHANCE !!!!!!! It is the WORST place I've ever had the misfortune to play.

DISGRACEFUL !!!!

Its not really a well balanced review

I have played Hunstanton recently - the fairways are like links fairways - hard , bit sandy , suffered a little with droughts - the bunkers are what you expect on a links - deep , think layer of sand , look a bit rough and ready - but greens running true and quick.

But the pro shop is a bit "blunt" at times , first couple of holes are a bit so so and the club whilst changing does have a little bit of snobish about it - but its a tough links course . If you dont like links then you wont like Hunstanton or indeed its neighbour

The OP then goes to rate a low level parkland as far better would suggest to me they dont like links course or understand how they should play

D

Deleted Member 1156

Oof top 100 police 🤣
I reckon in this online world we could easily find plenty of poor reviews for top 100 courses .
Of course you could. Just like you could probably find terrible reviews on tripadvisor for Michelin starred restaurants.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Of course you could. Just like you could probably find terrible reviews on tripadvisor for Michelin starred restaurants.
You know this to be true but you've never heard it before? Interesting.
My friend has moved out that way and we are off to play cromer and hunstanton soon. I'll have to report back.

D

Deleted Member 1156

It's impossible to know from what's been written so far. You made a general statement about top 100 courses , which you seem to know is untrue.
Still don't know what you mean, what general statement that I know to be untrue?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I've known CF through forums for a while. He's a decent chap and always makes me smile with his regular outrage over paying more than he thinks is the going rate for everything from green fees to portions of chips! :)

I would imagine Hunstanton to be the sort of place he should steer well clear of. Old school in every sense, old Colonels and old school manners and values. The course itself is classic links. That might be a bit ragged in places, and I think that is part of the charm.

Liking that sort of place isn't compulsory, although I think it is super. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.... course assessment is personal. Hence my point on the other thread. But, I hope he didn't pitch up expecting to be sneered at, and was delighted when he thought he was.

And, thank God he didn't go to Brancaster! Makes Hunstanton look like Phoenix Nights!!! :)

For the record... a 3 day trip of Hunstanton, RWN Brancaster and Sherringham would take some beating!!!!

Last edited:

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Ive only played Hunstanton once, and it was fine.

They did have a "greenkeepers revenge" on at the time, which I'd never heard of before, but still enjoyed the challenge/fun aspect of it.

Maybe this was the rest of the staff getting theirs in as well.:D