Hunstanton

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Bang on Bri.

Believe me, I also have big opinions about some of the placings, and would argue till the cows come home, against their ranking. My no.1 is actually about 48 (Tralee) and I've played 9 out the top 10 and and 16 out the top 20. For me there are courses not in the top 100 that IMHO should be and same the other way around. I'd be interested to see how many differences between their list of 12 years ago and now.

I liked Trump, very photogenic, but I'm a sucker for views. Others may prefer a bigger challenge, and so on.

What I would say from being on the other side of the fence is that GM have a good "process", A minimum of 3 reviews for every course, and with at least 35 other contenders outside the current list, so not a closed shop. By admission, I dont know other magazine's process to compare against, and would be interested to know.

However, I would be surprised if there were less than 65-70 courses that are in the same lists across most other lists also, so would then lead me to think that whilst not definitive, but if say 4 lists have a similar 70 courses that there is a consensus.

I certainly wouldnt be calling people "idiots" as the OP has done though, especially without knowing at least some of the processes.

I think the moderation of findings goes a long way to creating a list that is at least 80% accurate to within a few places for each course. In that respect, the glass is 3/4 full.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think the moderation of findings goes a long way to creating a list that is at least 80% accurate to within a few places for each course. In that respect, the glass is 3/4 full.

Yes, but when lists are subjective there are always going to be some anomalies.

Lets say West Hill (for instance) has 8 reviews in the 2017-2018 2 year cycle and gets good reviews across the board spread over 15 months, but in the 2019-20 cycle it only gets 3, and all 3 where in the same 2 months and they had had a perfect storm of fusarium, leather jackets and a drought, it could see it move 5-6 places, possibly, maybe more.

Turnberry getting ripped up and "trumped". I preferred Carnoustie for a good few years compared to the old Turnberry, despite carnoustie being flat and no views which is unusual for me, but I just liked Carnoustie more. However, since the changes at Turnberry it has been improved and would now rate it above Carnoustie.

I played Murcar, Cruden, Trump and Carnoustie on our jaunt a few years ago. Trump was great and photogenic, Murcar was very good and tough, Carnoustie had the history and great challenge, but I had the most "fun" at Cruden. All smashing courses, and all people had all 4 of them as their favourite on that trip. I'd return to them all again, but Cruden would be the most anticipated for me. The other people arent wrong, but it shows how its all subjective so always room for big differences in appreciation, as well preferences.

I dont see many people come on and say - golf world has "x" course at 75, what are they smoking down there......., some people just post to get a rise out of others, sadly. Present company excepted.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Firstly, after reading my post again, you may have missed my intention.

When I said I dont, in the last line, I was saying that I dont think that you do think like that, so I wasnt trying to point score at all. Sincerely.(y)

What I was saying though is for someone who knows that, they may think that you dont want that including, because your course doesnt have that great clubhouse feel, look or facilities so dont feel its important. I actually really liked Dundonald, and played it before reviewing, but the lack of a clubhouse did put it slightly down in my opinion. As I say, it wasnt meant to be a dig.(y)

If I misread your intention then I apologise and accept that I took it the wrong way.

These are always subjective I accept that but some course I just shake my head at when I see them listed.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If I misread your intention then I apologise and accept that I took it the wrong way.

These are always subjective I accept that but some course I just shake my head at when I see them listed.

Yep, my wording could have been better, my bad. I dont blame you for seeing it that way, but I was saying I didnt think YOU would think like that, though, in my own ham-fisted way.(y)

Believe me, I do as well - Played it a few years ago and Royal St. Davids is/was ranked better than Formby, and even Hillside, but I felt that because it had a Norman castle overlooking it, its ranked high. I'm hoping to go back to it soon with my reviewers eyes on and see if I think differently. Aberdovey and Lundin links, also.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'm not interested in your argument; I was just stating that, if the whole of an experience is not rated, the rating is flawed.

If I go for a meal I want to be looked after by the MD, waiters and sommeliers, as well as wanting to have great food & wine.

If I play golf I want to be treated as a member for the day, if this isn't done well I don't think I enjoy the experience as much. But, the course (set up, condition etc) is the main element.

Much like the fact that I remember great dishes, I remember great golf courses as well, but will often recall the other aspects of those days out which either enhance or diminish the experience.
you wouldnt want that at my club :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:, treated as a 2nd class citizen at mine, all geared towards visitors, greens cut twice a day and ironed, with all the rain latley greens swiffered of worm casts and new pins twice during the week (visitor days) m:rolleyes:
if you are a member, they don't do any of that even on comp days, if you have a PM time, you have to spend 5 mins on each green moving worm casts and all the pins positions are destroyed by sat, with everyone pulling the flags out with the ball in the hole getting sick of it TBH

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sums up perfectly how we're all different. I thought Trump Aberdeen was fantastic, as good as we have in Scotland, great par 3's and 5's and a tremendous mix of par 4's that challenge risks and reward and tough great holes.
We’re not all different. 99.9% of people who have played that course said it was incredible