How much would you pay for an Open Competition?

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
There is no disputing what a great course Hillside is.

However the cost for the 4 man team event next year is £400 per team. Calculated they will take over £15,000 on the day if full which is more than some clubs take all year from Opens.

How much would you pay for an Open and are there any more expensive venues? Realise what good value Open golf is North of The Border.

There must surely come a point where supply and demand sets in and I seem to recallHillside was not full about 10 years ago when there was a big price hike.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Most I have paid this year has been £50 for Royal Aberdeen and it was the best bargain I have had in years for a game of golf.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Most I have paid this year has been £50 for Royal Aberdeen and it was the best bargain I have had in years for a game of golf.
Yes I played in an Open there about 5 years’ £35 absolute steal and I think soup may have been included. Thought we were imposters and extremely unfriendly especially to my wife!

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don't like to pay more than £15-20 for a round if i can help it, but for an open, or a society day on a good course i'd make an exception, £400 doesn't feel unreasonable but its more than i'd pay.

Like it when you get a few extras on the offer, like a practice round, food, etc. Although saying that far too often it seems that the "food" option is nothing more than a bacon sandwich in the morning, which quite honestly feels like a waste if you're shelling out a reasonable entry fee.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
£400 for a team is a bargain. The green if is upwards of £150-£200 each. You're getting the course at its best for the comp and a chance to walk away with a prize. What's not to like?

For me, it would depend on where. Imagine if someone said they could get you in to Augusta for an Open. I'd pay a couple of £k for that chance.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Yes I played in an Open there about 5 years’ £35 absolute steal and I think soup may have been included. Thought we were imposters and extremely unfriendly especially to my wife!

Sad to hear. All I can go by is my experience and they were fantastic on Sunday. Staff and starter were all top notch. Food was excellent, course was even better.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The best I have got was at Portstewart this year.

£45 for 2 rounds and lunch (a proper lunch as well)

I paid £50 for Royal County Down last year

I have also paid 50 euro for Portmarnock

There are lots of links competitions on around Donegal and the North Coast that are like £250 for 3 rounds but I wouldn't pay that personally as I am not too bothered about prizes. It is more about playing the courses

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Trump Aberdeen senior open is on in a few weeks £75 is a bargain I think.

I’ve never played in a open that I thought was to dear I fact one open I played in Sussex I was asked for feedback and my answer was they should increase their price.

D

Deleted member 17920

However the cost for the 4 man team event next year is £400 per team. Calculated they will take over £15,000 on the day if full which is more than some clubs take all year from Opens.

How much would you pay for an Open and are there any more expensive venues? Realise what good value Open golf is North of The Border.

There must surely come a point where supply and demand sets in and I seem to recallHillside was not full about 10 years ago when there was a big price hike.
If you dont like what they charge don’t enter. Plenty of people who will enter.

It’s totally irrelevant what they take on the day, are they are a charity? No they are a business.

Its still a bargain and less than a green fee. Like you say if you want a bargain go north.

We are lucky we have opens to enter to play cheap competitive golf, have a look down south and see that you don’t get any decent courses as opens at good value.

D

Deleted member 17920

Trump Aberdeen senior open is on in a few weeks £75 is a bargain I think.

I’ve never played in a open that I thought was to dear I fact one open I played in Sussex I was asked for feedback and my answer was they should increase their price.

Trump at £75 is a bloody steal.

D

Deleted member 17920

Played in that open a few years ago, absolute bargain.

Great club and very friendly members who made us very welcome for the day.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
£100 for The Islay Open at the Machrie. 36 hole open over two days including a third practice round on the Friday if you wanted. Shame I used up all my best golf in the practice round !

Forgot I also entered that but since it was 3 rounds in glorious weather it technically worked out cheaper than Royal Aberdeen.

Great weekend on a magical island. 🏌️

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Most of the Opens in the NE are between £10-20. Seeing one at £100 a head would jar in comparison but that doesn't mean it is not a fair price when related to the regular green fee for that course. I wouldn't pay that for an Open but I have twice paid £100 for a round at top courses. No logic in that but there you go 😄.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Royal Dornoch 36 holers is about £50, most expensive one i play, but all the ones i know of are for single stroke play comps, this one at hillside must be a team BB or something, i 'sd expect these type of things are always a bit more expensive esp as some have good prize pots

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Most I have paid for this year is £35 and that included a 2 course meal.

That is one advantage of playing in senior opens , they tend to be cheaper.

Relatively though back in the late 80s /early 90s when I used to play in Regional Pro/ams at my own course I paid £25 (free booze all the way round courtesy of sponsors).

D

Deleted member 21258

Would really depend on the green fees of the course and if you are making up your own team.

Looking at hillside opens, £400 for a 4ball(some are cheaper if seniors or ladies) vs £640 weekday( or £760 weekend depending on which you are looking at)

A good price in eyes when compared to green fee and would enter one of them, if they had been a mixed team open.

Swango1980

Visit site
I live in North Lincolnshire, and play several a year, booking via Golfempire, usually in Lincolnshire or Nottinghamshire. For a 4-ball team, the cheapest per player was £10, most expensive £32.50. Very nice courses, and of course for some of those you may get food as well. Given the great value at the vast majority of courses in the area, I probably wouldn't spend over £50 even if food was included. Although, it depends on the course. I wouldn't pay over £50 at Woodhall Spa, home of England Golf, simply because it's on our doorstep and I've played it many times before. It's definitely worth over £50. But, I would pay over £50 if someone said the Open was at Wentworth. So, it does depend on the course I guess, and the competition in the area.

£100 does seem expensive from someone based in Lincolnshire. But, I assume that the club are getting enough entries at that price. If they weren't, they'd reduce the cost. If they were to get a full entry list, they'd be justified in increasing the price for the following year. After all, a full entry list is the obvious sign that golfers are happy to pay it.

gazzadi

Medal Winner
Visit site