How much extra subs would you pay next year to support your Club if closed for 4 months?

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Simple question really see above.

Our subs are £720 per annum at present. I would probably pay up to £1000 next year if required, almost 40%. The main reason being there is little alternative and it is 2 miles from home and little competition.

How much would you consider paying if you could afford?

Would be great if we could have a sensible discussion

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I wouldn’t pay anymore. I pay £1300 for 5 days as it is. That being said, if it were to sort cash flow issues, I’d be happy to pay a year or 2 in advance.

D

Deleted member 16999

To be honest I think it’s almost impossible to answer.

You would need agreement of everyone, my upper limit may equal yours if everyone agreed, but it could be a sliding scale, ie, 50 members say No, it could rise to £1020, 100 members say No, £1100, etc.

Some members may not be in a position to pay any extra if they’ve been on 80% of wage for 4 months.

Sorry to be negative as I believe it’s a good topic, but could only give an honest answer once I’d seen my Club balance sheet and exactly what the plan for recovery would be.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Paul. Very true what you say it is a difficult question and do not think it is a negative reply

Personally I can afford probably to pay extra monies but would not be happy with the figure I quoted.
Everybody’s circumstances are different and people will want to prioritise.

Wolf

Visit site
Harsh as it may the on the club I wouldn't pay anything additional. Ironically my membership ends on 31st March and I'd already taken the decision not to renew for reasons that I just have more important things ahead this year that mean I'd play maybe once every couple of months.

But even so if I had been renewing and playing regularly it'd still be no more contributing above the price of the normal annual subs what with the financial situation they are right now with my wife still yet to find out if she is getting the 80% salary despite their business being closed. My contract ends on 31st March as well and my new job is now on hold until further notice because of Coronavirus so all monies saved are going to be used for the foreseeable. With all that in mind once this lockdown is done and dusted and we get back to normal I simply couldn't justify additional golfing spend on top of normal fees as other things are simply more important.

It's a valid question mind but one that has so many different individual answers to each member.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
The club have my fees for this year in full.

I won't be paying another penny, nor would I expect to be paying another penny. Hopefully the club are in a healthy enough situation to ride it through.

Although I see that Boris is sending us all a letter telling us that things are going to get worse before they get better!!!

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
So I've lost 4 months of golf and I am expected to pay more. Sorry no I'm not prepared to pay a penny more.
It should work both ways, what are the club prepared to do to even it out. I've supported the club and have shown loyalty, so now it's time for it to be returned. It's not a One way street.
So NO I am not prepared to subsidise it.

D

Deleted member 16999

So I've lost 4 months of golf and I am expected to pay more. Sorry no I'm not prepared to pay a penny more.
It should work both ways, what are the club prepared to do to even it out. I've supported the club and have shown loyalty, so now it's time for it to be returned. It's not a One way street.
So NO I am not prepared to subsidise it.
I take your point, but what if it’s a choice between get more money or we close? Then it maybe it is a One Way street.

Siolag

Visit site
There’s only really 2 other clubs in the area I would consider joining and one is Gleneagles, which is about 2.5 times what I pay at the moment. The other one still has a joining fee and subs are about £200 more, so in a lot of ways, it would make sense to pay at least £200 more, especially given my course is much closer to home.

I am currently paying my Joining fee monthly along with my fees, but considering paying that off in full and also paying the fees upfront when they are due next year.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
There’s only really 2 other clubs in the area I would consider joining and one is Gleneagles, which is about 2.5 times what I pay at the moment. The other one still has a joining fee and subs are about £200 more, so in a lot of ways, it would make sense to pay at least £200 more, especially given my course is much closer to home.

I am currently paying my Joining fee monthly along with my fees, but considering paying that off in full and also paying the fees upfront when they are due next year.

Which has three top class courses, a 9 hole course, fantastic practice facilities and a lovely clubhouse. If its only 2.5 times and your finances dictated that it was within reach its a great option.

Siolag

Visit site
Which has three top class courses, a 9 hole course, fantastic practice facilities and a lovely clubhouse. If its only 2.5 times and your finances dictated that it was within reach its a great option.

Just had a look, it’s actually 4 times as much. Tbh, a little bit to much for me currently, but in a few years I may join there.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I'd hope we use the reserve pot for this. Joining fees have been largely saved although we spent a lot on upgrading thecpractice facilities last year, which put a dent in it.

But I will be in the pro shop in the first week and spend big and eat often in the clubhouse.... the pro and steward need our help.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would not. I don't have that sort of relationship with my club, the club does not have that sort of relationship with its members. If it upped prices I would be looking at one of the 5 other clubs within the same driving distance, as would 95% of the other members.

D

Deleted member 23270

Depends on the type of club. I'm a member of a private club so I have a vested interest in it doing well. I would consider paying a bit more, not sure how much though. There is a proprietary club near me and the owner is worth millions. No chance would I pay more if I was a member there.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Depends on the type of club. I'm a member of a private club so I have a vested interest in it doing well. I would consider paying a bit more, not sure how much though. There is a proprietary club near me and the owner is worth millions. No chance would I pay more if I was a member there.
I think this is about as close to an answer as you'll get.
I'd definitely consider offering a day's labour a week if I couldn't afford to financially help.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I will look at what our fees rise to, then go from there. I would expect my club to be looking at the business banking loans as a LTD company, but right now my financial position when we finally get over the current crisis is of more concern. Playing golf every weekend doesnt keep a roof over my head, or food on the table.

tigerwes

Hacker
Visit site
I wouldnt pay any extra. My fees are £1000 the course has been unplayable through most of the winter due to the rain and is now closed for atleast 3 months i would imagine. Neither of these issues anything to do with the club, and I don't have any issue with paying my subs to keep the course going, but I wouldn't pay any extra.

Should they really need any extra. Income has obviously dropped to £0 apart from the subs from the members. But outgoing will have dropped substantially aswell. All the staff apart from a couple of green keepers are now being paid by the government.