How Much Would You Be Willing To Pay

• Thread starter Deleted member 16999
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16999

A local Golf Club is hosting a Charity Golf Day in aid of a national charity.
Format is Ind Stab, Bacon Roll on arrival, Buffet lunch to follow, prizes plus NTP and LD.

How much would you be willing to pay if normal Green Fee was £25.00?

How much would you be willing to pay if normal Green Fee was £50.00

Should members be paying less to enter.

*On this particular day the Courses are only charging the Charity for the food and are waving the Green fee.*(obviously entrants would be unaware of the courses gesture)

D

Deleted member 1740

I'd be happy to pay a minimum £50 for charity. i wouldn't expect a reduction if it was at my own course neither.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I look at it this way -

Catering is about 20
Prize fund say 5
It's charity add 10

So my mental xcheck would be what would i pay to play that course + 35 = expected ticket price.

What the actual green fee is for a visitor, or the members guest rate, or the society package rate, are not of interest to me unless I'm organising the event!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Normal Fee - £25, I would pay £35

Normal Fee - £50, I would pay £60

Whilst I would not expect the club to waive the whole fee, great that they are though in this case, I would expect them to reduce it significantly. That means the extra over the norm is larger than otherwise and so the charity still get a good chunk. I accept that at one of these days I will also be buying raffle tickets, maybe other charity type things (Mulligan balloons for example), so the costs will not stop at the green fee alone. You need to factor that in to your day.

I'll be interested to hear the figures you are going to throw out. At my work we receive a lot of invites to put in 4 balls for charity days and I don't think I have ever seen one for less than £200 for a 4 ball. The nicer the course the higher the fee but £200 is the minimum.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It also depends about what's happening on the day, bit different for lunch but where it's been golf with a dinner afterwards then I know I'll be contributing a bit in the evening. Even if not bidding at auction there is quite often a collection, £10 for heads & tails, £10 for the raffle etc.

If those aren't happening t<script src="https://adservice.google.co.uk/adsid/integrator.sync.js?domain=forums.golf-monthly.co.uk" ></script><script >processGoogleTokenSync({"newToken":"FBS"},5);</script>hen £40-50 for a £25 course and £75 for the £50 course is probably around what you'd expect. I'd expect no discount for being a member as you basically depriving the charity of potential funds if they can fill up all the places with guests, and as you've noted you're effectively not paying for the golf fee.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
£50 sounds fine to me Paul & to members paying same.... no reduction... it's Charity for heavens sake!!.
You just have to ignore the "£50 to play my own course!!" type comments

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Think it also depends on what charity is involved

If it is something close to your heart then a few quid doesnt come into it.

I have played a couple of mates charity days on half decent courses as it gives me a chance to play a new course and its for a good cause, so whats not to like

Charity days arent just about money, its raising awareness too

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Unless a course is an absolute goat track I don't mind what the entry fee is for a charity event. As for members asking to pay a reduced entry fee because its their course, disappointing, ask them if they're willing to take a reduced prize if they win...

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Unless a course is an absolute goat track I don't mind what the entry fee is for a charity event. As for members asking to pay a reduced entry fee because its their course, disappointing, ask them if they're willing to take a reduced prize if they win...

Though maybe they have a case for asking for a reduction based upon the reduced green fee (if any) the club is charging. I admit to struggling to pay a green fee to play the course I already play a fair slice of a king's ransom to play.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Most comments below are as I'd say. I once got a club to waive the green fee for a charity on the basis they made money on the bar and food (and in the pro shop), so the charity got the bulk of the entry fee.

This does not work where I play, the bar and food is franchised.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Though maybe they have a case for asking for a reduction based upon the reduced green fee (if any) the club is charging. I admit to struggling to pay a green fee to play the course I already play a fair slice of a king's ransom to play.

‘I am maybe surprised and certainly a bit saddened at the level of disdain and cynicism expressed by what you might think could be the generally more comfortably off sector of the population who inhabit a golf forum - and who might feel they have something to give to those in very, very much poorer circumstances in developing or underdeveloped nations’

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I only play charity events when it is a charity I wish to support so I go with the around £35 if food is included I also tend to donate a prize for the draw.

D

Deleted member 15344

I’m very surprised - you have lectured multiple people on here and shown your great disdain towards people who only think of themselves

Yet you grumble about having to pay a green fee for a charity Day if you are a member of such club

That moral high ground you like to stand on has well and truely sunk

As for the OP The suggested fee’s would be acceptable . Charity days are great imo - a great way of raising awareness and funds for great causes - play in loads throughout the year both at home and away , anytime I’m charged a green fee at home there is no issue

Last edited by a moderator:

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Depends what the charity is, I am not paying extra just for that.

I don't support all charities for the sake of them being charity, I already give to my chosen ones

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

I don't see any aspect of the entry fee as a green fee. It costs, for example, £50 to play in the charity event. How that split occurs I don't care. Its a) a chance to support a charity, b) an opportunity to play golf on a particular day(a day that even as a member you can't play in because of the event unless you enter), c) the added bonus of a chance to win a prize.

I think its churlish to expect to do it on the cheap.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
‘I am maybe surprised and certainly a bit saddened at the level of disdain and cynicism expressed by what you might think could be the generally more comfortably off sector of the population who inhabit a golf forum - and who might feel they have something to give to those in very, very much poorer circumstances in developing or underdeveloped nations’

What is that supposed to be about?. I didn't say I didn't - and if the club takes a green fee of say £10/person and reduces entry for members by £10 then I am contributing exactly the same as everyone else to the charity.

As it happens I pay whatever the going rate is for such days because it is the right thing to do. That my head might struggle with me paying a bit to my club to play my own course is just one of these things. I cannot control the thoughts my head flings up.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21258

I think I have always kind of thought '£x to play a course I am a member of' why would I do that, to be honest( whether that was for charity or otherwise).

However over the last few years I have lets say seen the light and am now happy to support charities via golf.

The figures you mention would be fine in my eyes. Hope the day goes well :thup:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I don't see any aspect of the entry fee as a green fee. It costs, for example, £50 to play in the charity event. How that split occurs I don't care. Its a) a chance to support a charity, b) an opportunity to play golf on a particular day(a day that even as a member you can't play in because of the event unless you enter), c) the added bonus of a chance to win a prize.

I think its churlish to expect to do it on the cheap.

I don't expect to do it on the cheap. My head tells me I am paying to play the course I have already paid to play. But I pay in any case.

RW1986

Head Pro
Visit site
The way I ran it for the Rick Garg Memorial golf day last year was £20 entry and if people were hungry afterwards then it was £20 for the bbq. All money raised went to the charity Air Ambulance and to cover the costs of 2 defibrillators for the club.