Would you book a society..

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
So last year the guy running our society asked me to take over arranging the meets.
I’ve always enjoyed the company, but quite a few of us were getting bored of the same (poor) venues. These guys stick to a budget (£45) per meet for food and golf, which is fine in winter but a little tight during the summer. This always results us in us playing better courses during winter when they aren’t in that good a condition. We then end up playing poorer courses in the summer to keep costs down. Any excess from winter is used to subsidies summer.

This year I prebooked course that are actually good during winter (north forelands and princes were 2) as value is good as well as condition. During summer though many courses will stick a default £40-60 green fee in as part of the cost when I know full well these places are available for approx £20 via deals or twilight rates.

So for June -August we left the venues blank whilst picking dates that suit and decided I'd just book 3 courses approx 2 weeks in advance. We play next Friday and for food and golf I've gotten a course for £34 which is quoting £62 for a society.

So my 3 questions are.

1, If we turn up in society tops and put down markers, are we taking the mick? Obv we have 4 consecutive tees, so in theory nobody at the club would be any the wiser re the markers.

2, Are clubs taking the mick charging such prices when clearly it can be done cheaper? I actually messaged one of the clubs trying to negotiate a twilight deal for the summer. Noting their green fee went from £50 to £30 after 2pm. Would have pre booked 16 slots and they refused. We now intend to play there on a Monday when you can actually get £18 green fees!

3, would you book it my way, or simply pay the extra/lesser courses during summer?

Ps. The club in question next week still has available tees from 10am right through to 3pm with ours in the middle. So hardy rammed and in a position to turn away groups.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Will you be having nearest the pin etc? I'd just turn up, play and do what you normally do as a society. 1st group marks the nearest the pin, last group brings in the marker. Simples.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Will you be having nearest the pin etc? I'd just turn up, play and do what you normally do as a society. 1st group marks the nearest the pin, last group brings in the marker. Simples.

Yeah. Nothing special. Just pins and long drive. First group puts em out. Last picks em up.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
So what you're saying is, they charge you more if you're a society booking for 16 people than they would for just an ordinary person booking for 16 people? That doesn't make sense to me. If that's right I'd absolutely keep it quiet that you're a society and take the cheaper rates. They're taking the mick.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
So what you're saying is, they charge you more if you're a society booking for 16 people than they would for just an ordinary person booking for 16 people? That doesn't make sense to me. If that's right I'd absolutely keep it quiet that you're a society and take the cheaper rates. They're taking the mick.
They obviously charge more when your book a society as you’re usually doing so months in advance. So they’ll charge their default green fee. Waiting allows me to take advantage of cheaper tee but can’t always guarantee up you’ll get first choice course.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Did the society prices include anything extra like coffee/baps, food etc.?

Society is for golf and light lunch. Which must be same for all.
I’ve got us the same light lunch option except we can choose our own meals and not all have the same.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
They obviously charge more when your book a society as you’re usually doing so months in advance. So they’ll charge their default green fee. Waiting allows me to take advantage of cheaper tee but can’t always guarantee up you’ll get first choice course.
Oooh ok, I misunderstood I think. But yeah I would still do it that way, just have a couple of back-up courses in mind if you miss out on one? Ultimately if you're getting to play more/better/new courses it has to be worth a stab?

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
As above... get the best deal you can, or talk to the prop about anomaly and see what gives.

£45 per meet with food in the South East does strike me as a little on the skinny side! (as you say, winter deals are easier)

There are quite few available at that cost. But they’re predominantly pay and play or just poor course. Was more difficult convincing my members it was the right thing to do than on here lol

D

Deleted member 21258

I organise a couple of golf days a year for a group from 20-30 people normally.

I am always disappointed with courses that expect to charge you full rates for the green fees on a bigger group booking, in addition to full prices on the food. However most courses, give smallish discounts(10% being fairly common) and some give a higher discount if you get over 24ish people.

We always ask for the club markers for NTP, NTP2nd, NP3rd, LD etc and never had a problem with pro shop and most pros are really helpful, some offer to put them out etc (however we do the same as you, 1st out takes them and last in brings them in).

Tend to book months in advance to ensure I can book a Friday,(as it is the most popular day) but I am trying something similar to you for the 2nd day this year to see if I can have some joy with regards to prices by leaving it later and fitting in more, as some of the 'posher' normal members clubs are charging silly full rates money(which then added to the cost of a day off, getting there, drinks, buggies etc gets high £££). Last day cost was £41 iirc at members course in essex for 36 holes, bacon rolls and ham, egg & chips and that was cheaper than anywhere else for quite a few years, deals can be found.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I organise a couple of golf days a year for a group from 20-30 people normally.

I am always disappointed with courses that expect to charge you full rates for the green fees on a bigger group booking, in addition to full prices on the food. However most courses, give smallish discounts(10% being fairly common) and some give a higher discount if you get over 24ish people.

We always ask for the club markers for NTP, NTP2nd, NP3rd, LD etc and never had a problem with pro shop and most pros are really helpful, some offer to put them out etc (however we do the same as you, 1st out takes them and last in brings them in).

Tend to book months in advance to ensure I can book a Friday,(as it is the most popular day) but I am trying something similar to you for the 2nd day this year to see if I can have some joy with regards to prices by leaving it later and fitting in more, as some of the 'posher' normal members clubs are charging silly full rates money(which then added to the cost of a day off, getting there, drinks, buggies etc gets high £££). Last day cost was £41 iirc at members course in essex for 36 holes, bacon rolls and ham, egg & chips and that was cheaper than anywhere else for quite a few years, deals can be found.

We have our own markers so wont need to have an awkward convo with the pro lol

I know that in grand scheme of things 16 people is small fry. But they could have gotten £45 a head from me no problem. Now they’ll get less and we have better option re food.

I think with technology and the way deals are workable now something will have to change. Our captains weekend this year is £310 for a Friday and Saturday night stay and dinner. I can’t make the whole event due to child care issues. But will likely play 2 days as we’re playing relatively local. Contacted the venue and they quoted me £270! So booked 2 green fees for £50 total and an air bnb 0.8 miles away for £30.

I have more hard work ahead trying to convince our members though. They want to stick around m25 which means there’s a premium on price so again we get lesser courses even thigh it’s not cheap.

I could sort Celtic Manor or The belfry for less than a Marriott.
Glynn can get Sunningdale and Turnberry Cheaper 😂😂😂

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
So last year the guy running our society asked me to take over arranging the meets.
I’ve always enjoyed the company, but quite a few of us were getting bored of the same (poor) venues. These guys stick to a budget (£45) per meet for food and golf, which is fine in winter but a little tight during the summer. This always results us in us playing better courses during winter when they aren’t in that good a condition. We then end up playing poorer courses in the summer to keep costs down. Any excess from winter is used to subsidies summer.

This year I prebooked course that are actually good during winter (north forelands and princes were 2) as value is good as well as condition. During summer though many courses will stick a default £40-60 green fee in as part of the cost when I know full well these places are available for approx £20 via deals or twilight rates.

So for June -August we left the venues blank whilst picking dates that suit and decided I'd just book 3 courses approx 2 weeks in advance. We play next Friday and for food and golf I've gotten a course for £34 which is quoting £62 for a society.

So my 3 questions are.

1, If we turn up in society tops and put down markers, are we taking the mick? Obv we have 4 consecutive tees, so in theory nobody at the club would be any the wiser re the markers.

2, Are clubs taking the mick charging such prices when clearly it can be done cheaper? I actually messaged one of the clubs trying to negotiate a twilight deal for the summer. Noting their green fee went from £50 to £30 after 2pm. Would have pre booked 16 slots and they refused. We now intend to play there on a Monday when you can actually get £18 green fees!

3, would you book it my way, or simply pay the extra/lesser courses during summer?

Ps. The club in question next week still has available tees from 10am right through to 3pm with ours in the middle. So hardy rammed and in a position to turn away groups.

I don't see an issue with that at all.

If clubs are offering discounted rates at short notice / online / twilight - that is much cheaper than their 'standard' rate, then they are causing themselves problems as far as I'm concerned.

Obviously from your point of view you are taking a risk that things will book up or you can't get the times you want etc. for 16 guys. But if you are prepared to be flexible, then I'm sure you will always find a venue that can accommodate you, roughly at the time you want.

Fairmont at St. Andrews is one that is famous for it. Walk in from the hotel or even book from their website and it is £95 during the summer.
Look on Tee off Times website and there are times ranging from £35 to £55 available over the next week.

That's a huge difference and one which gives their own website or booking system no credibility.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you have booked for 16 people in one go, it does not take a genius to work out that you are some form of group or society. I would have no problem with booking like you have as it should be obvious to the club when you requested slots for 16 golfers plus food.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
If you have booked for 16 people in one go, it does not take a genius to work out that you are some form of group or society. I would have no problem with booking like you have as it should be obvious to the club when you requested slots for 16 golfers plus food.

Technically booked as for 4balls.under different names on this occasion. Simply because you can't book more than a 4ball.

Will order food when we get there from menu. But all comes well under budget/cost of society with em.

D

Deleted member 21258

We have our own markers so wont need to have an awkward convo with the pro lol

I know that in grand scheme of things 16 people is small fry. But they could have gotten £45 a head from me no problem. Now they’ll get less and we have better option re food.

I think with technology and the way deals are workable now something will have to change. Our captains weekend this year is £310 for a Friday and Saturday night stay and dinner. I can’t make the whole event due to child care issues. But will likely play 2 days as we’re playing relatively local. Contacted the venue and they quoted me £270! So booked 2 green fees for £50 total and an air bnb 0.8 miles away for £30.

I have more hard work ahead trying to convince our members though. They want to stick around m25 which means there’s a premium on price so again we get lesser courses even thigh it’s not cheap.

I could sort Celtic Manor or The belfry for less than a Marriott.
Glynn can get Sunningdale and Turnberry Cheaper 😂😂😂

Its is crazy to allow pricing like that but most courses try to ensure it is dealt with by saying numbers above 8 must book up with the office rather than online or the pro shop, so you do need to be careful on the day I would have thought.

Its like county cards holders getting it cheaper than society rates or the same rate as members guests or opens held by the club being at the same or less than members rates and alot less than large party society rates. Pricing is just all over the place at a lot of clubs.

When I work out my days, with green fees, food, buggies, monies spent at bar and in pro shop, each booking is worth over £1,000 and a number of courses treat you worse than being a single green fee. I used to have 60 odd people for a few years when the business was bigger, and still struggled to get much off green fees rates and was spending in excess of £2.5-3k. It is mad and just ended up reducing numbers as it wrecked my enjoyment of the day having so many people and no benefits.

Over the years it has been an irritating matter for me, sorry about above :LOL::censored::D

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Its is crazy to allow pricing like that but most courses try to ensure it is dealt with by saying numbers above 8 must book up with the office rather than online or the pro shop, so you do need to be careful on the day I would have thought.

Its like county cards holders getting it cheaper than society rates or the same rate as members guests or opens held by the club being at the same or less than members rates and alot less than large party society rates. Pricing is just all over the place at a lot of clubs.

When I work out my days, with green fees, food, buggies, monies spent at bar and in pro shop, each booking is worth over £1,000 and a number of courses treat you worse than being a single green fee. I used to have 60 odd people for a few years when the business was bigger, and still struggled to get much off green fees rates and was spending in excess of £2.5-3k. It is mad and just ended up reducing numbers as it wrecked my enjoyment of the day having so many people and no benefits.

Over the years it has been an irritating matter for me, sorry about above :LOL::censored::D

I can totally relate. I only deal with 24 of us in total and that’s stressful enough. But as I’m the new guy in regards organising I’m getting questioned when the previous wasn’t. Granted since playing a few decent courses they’ve gotten quiet.....

I did check the terms but I don’t really see a course turning away 16 guys generally. This course has no mention of larger bookings Tbf, but I’ve played many courses with 8-12 of us when just a purely social and never had anything said.

Glad to see that my thoughts are similar to the consensus on here though.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of my societies does this

Doesn’t always book as a society .. half the time does if a good deal but often just book 20 of us turn up in our tops play our round and pay for breakfSt if we want it

Never had an issue