Augusta - how much would you pay?

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I have absolutely no interest in playing Augusta National so there is no amount of money would I would part with to play it. All the comments saying its number 1 bucket list course or those that say they wouldn't play there are deluded per se make me laugh because people genuinely can't understand someone not liking the course or wanting to play it. Far many more courses I'd rather play.

I think people accept there are courses people would choose over it.

But, I do find it hard to belive people who say they wouodnt play it at all. Especially someone who's played Upchurch ;)

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I’m sure we all have our limits on green fees, which is perfectly fine. I think I read somewhere that the visitors green fee is $40, but how much would you pay if given the opportunity to play Augusta?

Comparing it against the well known courses which charge hundreds, is it worth more than those?

Personally... I'm over this.

Yes it looks special and has an other worldly feel about it... but as far as I'm concerned, what the Old Course charge is my limit in terms of green fees. I think this year that's £190. Does that mean I might not stretch to a bit more if I genuinely had the chance...? probably I would.

However in general would not enjoy paying hundreds or thousands for a game of golf at any venue, with any playing partner. I don't consider myself tight and I like to enjoy life and have nice things and experiences. But purchases & spending tends to be considered and even if I was really well off, there is still an opportunity cost. Spending £5,000 on a trip to Augusta... that's effectively 10 years membership at St Andrews or North Berwick.

Obviously things may move on in my life and I may be fortunate enough to be far far more comfortable financially and afford everything I'd want... and while things may loosen up a bit... does this mean I'd pay £1,000 for a round of golf. Hypothetical obviously, but I doubt I would.

Wolf

Visit site
I think people accept there are courses people would choose over it.

But, I do find it hard to belive people who say they wouodnt play it at all. Especially someone who's played Upchurch ;)
In my defense of playing Upchurch it's never been out of choice and I've never paid for a round there either ?

Literally have no desire whatsoever to play Augusta, I certainly wouldn't go out my way to pay a green fee to travel there and play it.

I'd rather play courses like Cypress Point, Pine Valley, Pebble, Pinehurst No2, Cape Kidnappers, Banff Springs or Spyglass.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Must be rubbish being a member there if decent golfers can't break 100!
Yes I would agree .
But I have found once you adjust to the speed of the greens it’s fine.
But wouldn’t want to be a member of a course that beats you up every week.
That can’t be fun.

User20204

Visit site
Talking to a pro a few years ago now who'd been to watch the Masters he thought that if every hole at Augusta was a Par 3 the 'average ' club golfer still wouldn't break 100, either never stopping on the green in the first place and that's before you talk about putting....

Think he was probably right ?

GBC

I'm hardly surprised, the average golfer here is about a 15 capper, they hardly break a ton here never mind Augusta.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
I am firmly in the pro-Augusta camp here. I'd pay anything to play it, especially with Sunday pins. To stand on 12 and hit that tee shot and walk across the bridge, to play 13, to hit the shot on 16 with the Sunday pin, to hit the approach into 11 with the water down the left, to hit the drive on 18, take on the water on 15, what an experience it'd be, I would absolutely love to play it. I love Augusta and I love The Masters.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am firmly in the pro-Augusta camp here. I'd pay anything to play it, especially with Sunday pins. To stand on 12 and hit that tee shot and walk across the bridge, to play 13, to hit the shot on 16 with the Sunday pin, to hit the approach into 11 with the water down the left, to hit the drive on 18, take on the water on 15, what an experience it'd be, I would absolutely love to play it. I love Augusta and I love The Masters.
I agree would love to play it.
But we are used to seeing the pros hit 5 iron 220yds to par 5s .
We can’t do that so would play it totally differently.
Or lose a few balls in the water.
We all know the holes so well it would be a great experience.

D

Deleted Member 1156

So just to throw it out there......

If you got the chance to play Augusta, would you rather 1) play it off the back tees like the pros to get the full experience* or 2) play off forward tees to (possibly) hit similar clubs into the greens that the pros hit?

*for full experience read get totally beaten up :eek:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Must be rubbish being a member there if decent golfers can't break 100!
I think most of the comments relating to scoring around there are based on pro tees and tournament set up. I've no doubt they are right about that. Going off the members tees with slower greens it starts to become a more normal course, I would guess.

I suspect your post was in jest, a good line by the way, but your point is sound. If it really was that hard then it would not be much fun.

I think there was a bit on the GM Facebook page where Joel Tadman played it the day after the Masters finished one year, Press day they call it. From memory he was off 4 at the time and went round in either 84 or 88. I'm pretty sure he went off the members tees, not the tournament tees although I am happy to be corrected there. Biggest issue he mentioned was nerves, the occasion getting to him.

Back to the question, it is a hard one as for us you have to factor in flights etc. Let's assume I am in Georgia anyway and the only cost is the green fee. I would pay up to £300 for a round there. I'd struggle to justify more but I suspect if they said you can go on for £320, not £300 I would find the extra £20 :D. It's Augusta National, why would a golfer not want to play there?

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

If you got the chance to play Augusta, would you rather 1) play it off the back tees like the pros to get the full experience* or 2) play off forward tees to (possibly) hit similar clubs into the greens that the pros hit?

Forward tees.

we see how they struggle hitting greens, I’d wanna face the same challenge. Would be no point playing off their tees and either hitting 3 wood to every green, or more like a wedge+ for my 3rd (most likely 5th).

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

Option 2, no question. We play for fun don't we? I can't hit it 300yds off the tee so why pretend I can.

Leave your ego at home and enjoy the experience. (I think you can ask that question of a lot of big courses and my answer would be the same each time)

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

Play 36 and do one of each ;)

Blue in Munich

Visit site
In my defense of playing Upchurch it's never been out of choice and I've never paid for a round there either ?

Literally have no desire whatsoever to play Augusta, I certainly wouldn't go out my way to pay a green fee to travel there and play it.

I'd rather play courses like Cypress Point, Pine Valley, Pebble, Pinehurst No2, Cape Kidnappers, Banff Springs or Spyglass.

I can recommend that one (y) :)

peld

Visit site
https://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/tour...gular-golfer-shoot-at-augusta-national-153973

Joel Tadman of golf monthly played it on the Monday after the Masters with Sunday pins. He was a 4 hcp and shot 87 off the members tees but wasn't using his own clubs. He actually only had one par but did make 4 birdies. The greens are certainly the hardest part of the course.

Edit to add if pay a few hundred to play it but not silly money. And I'd play off the members tees as it just be miserable playing off the pro tees.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Yes I would agree .
But I have found once you adjust to the speed of the greens it’s fine.
But wouldn’t want to be a member of a course that beats you up every week.
That can’t be fun.

On the wider point of what type of course you'd want to be a member at with regards to your game.

I think playing a tougher course makes you a better player. Ok, it's not going to turn you into a bomber just because you play a long course, but if you play something around or above 6,000 yards that needs accuracy off the tee or game management or accuracy in approach... I reckon most players would improve those areas of their game.

Also remember Augusta plays 6,395 off the members tees and likely there are flat or low spots on every / most greens that they would put most of the pins when the Masters isn't on. You put the pin in the front of 16, for example, and it's suddenly a huge target from 140 yards.

13 is a 455 par 5 for the members. Ok, so a lot will still lay-up off a decent drive due to the creek, but it's a fairly easy 3 shot hole to go into a large green with a gap wedge.

15 is a 475 par 5 that plays a lot down hill - ok still tough to reach in 2 due to the water, but again, a good layup down the left and you have a pretty decent sized target.

Also likely greens will play a bit slower for members. And finally probably no members play Augusta as their main course. I'd reckon a lot of members will only play 2 or 3 times a year there, at most. So I definitely don't think members would get fed up getting beat up by their course.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
I'd very much like to play that course and I'm in no way jealous of you right now.. Well maybe a little bit, or actually sod it a lot ?

As you should be, it is an absolutely stunning setting and a great course. :D I believe the green fees are very low in the winter months... ;) Years ago as a Christmas present I got The World Atlas of Golf. It was in there and just grabbed me, so one off the bucket list (y)

Seriously, if you ever get the opportunity, take it. Green fee was $260 all in with hire clubs & worth every cent, however that was 14 years ago. :( Must think about going back when the :poop:storm is over. maybe I can drag Chrisd along again... :unsure: