Cost of Annual Membership at your Club

How much is Annual Membership at your club?

• Total voters

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Taken from Wikipedia,

"South West England, or the South West of England, is one of nine official regions of England. It consists of the counties of Bristol, Cornwall (including the Isles of Scilly), Dorset, Devon, Gloucestershire, Somerset and Wiltshire. Cities and large towns in the region include Bath, Bristol, Bournemouth, Cheltenham, Exeter, Gloucester, Plymouth and Swindon."

I'll let you argue amongst yourselves on what is and isn't the South West :)

I had my tongue firmly in cheek with my post.

South West is a very vague term, but the further SW you go, the further the border shifts west. I doubt people in St Justs think the South West goes much beyond the Tamar

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ok membership renewals have dropped

5 day up to £120 pcm (from £110)
7 day up to £150 pcm (from £137.50)

Few members unhappy .. even tho I've seen phone contracts go up more and the clubs been more than good to us (didn't charge us during COVID) their costs have Rocketed . Short memories

Some whining they wish the gym was dropped from their membership but they don't seem to get that the gym is thrown in as it costs next to nothing for them ..they won't suddenly reduce your membership by £40 a month .. not the clubs fault if they choose not to use

Only thing I will say is when they sent the email out they did bang on about stuff the members don't care about

We don't care if we host the Essex open and alike... That's just a feather in the owners bow

D-S

Visit site
Ok membership renewals have dropped

5 day up to £120 pcm (from £110)
7 day up to £150 pcm (from £137.50)

Few members unhappy .. even tho I've seen phone contracts go up more and the clubs been more than good to us (didn't charge us during COVID) their costs have Rocketed . Short memories

Some whining they wish the gym was dropped from their membership but they don't seem to get that the gym is thrown in as it costs next to nothing for them ..they won't suddenly reduce your membership by £40 a month .. not the clubs fault if they choose not to use

Only thing I will say is when they sent the email out they did bang on about stuff the members don't care about

We don't care if we host the Essex open and alike... That's just a feather in the owners bow
Increase seems to be about typical in % terms. 6-10% seems to cover most clubs, very few seemingly outside that band.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Good news from our recent renewal...I believe that we have had a full take-up (30) of our clubhouse development financing 5yrs membership offer - pay 5yrs up front with the annual membership fixed at this years rate and the clubhouse/bar 'levy' put on to the members account each year at no cost. Will raise about £280k and means we don't have to dip into our reserves for the work we want to do - we want to hold the reserve for the next rainy day. Means a membership-wide levy will not be required (y)

nb - I thought about it...and mentioned it to my Mrs...the idea got rather short shrift. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Increase seems to be about typical in % terms. 6-10% seems to cover most clubs, very few seemingly outside that band.

Considering inflation is running around 10% (well has been) I think it's more than reasonable

People seem to forget golf is a hobby and if they don't want to pay they can just leave .. it's not like your mortgage

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Our Subs are due on 1/1/24. The figure is not out yet but rumour has it it will be an increase of 17%. This coupled with an increase 16% lat year and there are a few unhappy troops.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
No wonder.

Is the club in trouble? Are the finances controlled well? Are they massively improving the course?
No the Club is not in trouble. The course has been improved and the greens are in excellent condition along with the course. This is in evidence as there is “The Big 6” which is an event for The 6 Counties in The Northern Union plus The IOM. It is an event for The Scratch teams from The Northern Counties and is held annually. Unsure about finances although wages are high.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
No the Club is not in trouble. The course has been improved and the greens are in excellent condition along with the course. This is in evidence as there is “The Big 6” which is an event for The 6 Counties in The Northern Union plus The IOM. It is an event for The Scratch teams from The Northern Counties and is held annually. Unsure about finances although wages are high.
If they are wasting YOUR money on admin it is time to speak out.

D-S

Visit site
I can see such increases needed at clubs who had low or nil rises last year for whatever reason might be needed but following on from 16% the previous year in a ‘boom time‘ for golf without specific justification seems like a recipe for trouble.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Are there alternatives nearby or will members/ you grumble but ultimately take it on the chin?
There are alternatives nearby but very little/no competition. One is a 9 hole course and the other 2 are OK but many of their members have come to our Club.

I will accept as it is 3 miles away and feel it is preferable than the alternatives. I spoke to a guy last night, plays off 1 who said he is leaving and I feel The Club may be in for a shock. Really hope I am wrong

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
While feeling the pain of 16% and 17% increases in subs I‘m wondering whether this is not simply a reflection of the increased power, gas, fuel, wages and other main costs that every club incurs, but if the subs are lower then the relative increase could be high.

So for instance compare an increase of £100 from £600 to £700 per annum - about 16% - with an increase of £100 from £1500 to £1600 - just under 7%.

Even if the situation is of this sort, knowing so is no salve for the pain though.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If a course near me did a rate for after 6pm and weekend afternoons april to the end of September I’d Join as that’s when I can play. Problem is you are paying for the year when I can’t play in the winter As it’s to dark after work.
Problem with that is every working man/ woman would want one.
you would never get a tee time.!