Augusta - how much would you pay?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I've walked Augusta and played Sawgrass.

If I said the crosswalks at Augusta are better than many greens I hope you get where I am going. However hilly you think it is , it is steeper. Frankly it was astonishing. If you played there with no crowds and grandstands, I'm sure it would look weird! But I'd pay what they asked if I had it!!!

Sawgrass is great to play.....that doesn't come across as much on tv but it's about more than 17th. Theres a great stretch of holes before it too that get overlooked. And the front 9 is good too. Dont remember a weak hole. Packages there are not too daft in price either. Too many Brits go to Florida and dont get out of Orlando. Ponte Vedre is a smashing place. Highly recommend

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I thought that at first, maybe a slight caveat that saw grass would be more famous to people who play golf, but occasional viewers will likely have seen Augusta on the tv more often than sawgrass.
I think it’s more we know we can play 17th at sawgrass.
We have very little chance of Augusta.
I have played Sawgrass and it was awesome.
Pared 17th as well.
They make you so welcome it’s just fantastic place to play.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

If I said the crosswalks at Augusta are better than many greens I hope you get where I am going. However hilly you think it is , it is steeper. Frankly it was astonishing. If you played there with no crowds and grandstands, I'm sure it would look weird! But I'd pay what they asked if I had it!!!

Sawgrass is great to play.....that doesn't come across as much on tv but it's about more than 17th. Theres a great stretch of holes before it too that get overlooked. And the front 9 is good too. Dont remember a weak hole. Packages there are not too daft in price either. Too many Brits go to Florida and dont get out of Orlando. Ponte Vedre is a smashing place. Highly recommend
Have you played LPGA Hills course in Daytona?
It’s my fave better than Sawgrass imo of course.

D

Deleted member 1147

I’d pay plenty, not necessarily because of the course itself, but for the overall experience.

In terms of courses I’d love to play: Cypress, Pine Valley, Shinnecock, Wade Hampton, sand Hills, Chicago, Seminole etc, would all be higher for golf only terms

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
To be honest, wide open outside tournament week or not I'd love the opportunity. Simply one of lifes one off opportunities and I think saying no because it is wide open is cutting ones nose off to spite ones face. If nothing else has to be worth experiencing for the greens alone

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Pretty much every pro that’s ever played it says it’s the one course they’d play every day

People that have been to watch it say it’s the most incredible place - I’ve got a mate that’s played Pebble and watched the masters. Said pebble isn’t in same league.

Yet some still say it’s just a field ?

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
I’d pay what I could to get round there. It’s the course that is at the pinnacle of every “have you ever played?” list.

You tell any of your golfing friends that you have played Augusta they will be jealous as hell. Tell them that you’ve played Pebble, Cypress, Pine Valley etc they will still be jealous but to a lesser degree.

D

Deleted member 17920

I’d pay what I could to get round there. It’s the course that is at the pinnacle of every “have you ever played?” list.

You tell any of your golfing friends that you have played Augusta they will be jealous as hell. Tell them that you’ve played Pebble, Cypress, Pine Valley etc they will still be jealous but to a lesser degree.
You had a mega chance and blew it ?

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

But I'm not playing it because I want to brag to friends, I'm playing it because I want to play it.

So whilst I would take the opportunity to play Augusta National if it came up, I'd pay more for others like Pine Valley or Cypress Point that I'd like to play more, regardless of whether my mates are envious.

Grizzly

Visit site
If pushed, lets say it was for a charity I respected, I think I'd stretch to £5k.

It probably isn't the greatest course in the world - as opposed to being the greatest tournament in the world - but I'd love to do it. As someone else said, I doubt I'd regret it on my death bed.

ferenezejohn

Visit site

I'd rate Sawgrass much higher than Augusta.