Augusta - how much would you pay?

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I don't know where I sit on playing Augusta, The Old Course is definitely one I want to play. As are Royal st Georges and Le Golf National - both because I've been to tournaments at those courses.

What I do know is that even as a reasonable hitter, I'd want to be playing off the tee that gave me the best chance of hitting the clubs into the green that they're designed to be attacked with. If that means me playing a course that's 500 yards shorter than the pros, great. If it's 900 yards short, who cares? I don't want to be hitting 3 wood into a green that Rory's hitting 6 iron into for example.

Absolutely.

I think a lot of amateurs, including good club players with single figure handicaps massively underestimate the difference between a scratch golfer and a tour player. If you've got decent length you can give yourself loads of birdie chances on most members clubs.

At most of the clubs we play that are closer to 6,000 yards than 7,000 (and plenty below 6,000) a tour pro would be averaging in the low 60s if they were playing there every week. On tour, most of the top guys are still averaging under 70 for extended periods, if not for a whole season. And this is on seriously tough tracks all above 7,000 yards with a lot more rough, narrower targets, greens as fast as they can get them, loads of sand in the bunkers, severely tucked pins or on the edge of slopes etc. Plus the added pressure of competition.

And even if you turn up at the Old Course, and play off the Whites... and shoot 72... ok a very fine round of golf. But it's still miles away from a Professional Tournament with the condition they would get the course to for an Open Championship or even the difference in somewhere like Wentworth the week of the PGA and the other weeks.

golfbluecustard

Head Pro
Visit site
Absolutely.

I think a lot of amateurs, including good club players with single figure handicaps massively underestimate the difference between a scratch golfer and a tour player. If you've got decent length you can give yourself loads of birdie chances on most members clubs.

At most of the clubs we play that are closer to 6,000 yards than 7,000 (and plenty below 6,000) a tour pro would be averaging in the low 60s if they were playing there every week. On tour, most of the top guys are still averaging under 70 for extended periods, if not for a whole season. And this is on seriously tough tracks all above 7,000 yards with a lot more rough, narrower targets, greens as fast as they can get them, loads of sand in the bunkers, severely tucked pins or on the edge of slopes etc. Plus the added pressure of competition.

And even if you turn up at the Old Course, and play off the Whites... and shoot 72... ok a very fine round of golf. But it's still miles away from a Professional Tournament with the condition they would get the course to for an Open Championship or even the difference in somewhere like Wentworth the week of the PGA and the other weeks.

The tour pro's are playing a very different game in many respects..... Which the T.V doesn't truly show, it's only when you see them live you see how long, accurate, consistent they are ....

GBC

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
The tour pro's are playing a very different game in many respects..... Which the T.V doesn't truly show, it's only when you see them live you see how long, accurate, consistent they are ....

GBC

Absolutely. Followed Paul Casey for a few holes at Wentworth last year. On the 12th he found the bunker on the right of the fairway. 216 to the front, 5 iron onto the green. It was amazing to watch.

ferenezejohn

Visit site
Absolutely. Followed Paul Casey for a few holes at Wentworth last year. On the 12th he found the bunker on the right of the fairway. 216 to the front, 5 iron onto the green. It was amazing to watch.
I would like to see fairway bunkers having higher lips, I like the pot bunkers in links golf.
Pros don't seem to bothered now bombing it over fairway bunker in the knowledge they will still be able to reach the green if they come up short you see it week in week out.
Same with green side bunkers many pros would rather be in a bunker than miss the green.
I watched John Daly v Fred Couples on YouTube yesterday Shell W W of G Couples certainly wasn't short , par 3 Couples 5 iron Daly 7 iron btw Couples won.
As you say you have to see them in the flesh, all looks so effortless dam!?

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site

GBC

I remember being at Gleneagles in 2010 for the Johnnie Walker.

Saw a group that included Ross Fisher and Paul McGinley on the 1st fairway. We were viewing side on near the green and McGinley was playing in from maybe 100 or so yards. He hit his ball and I thought he'd flown everything given the trajectory of it. But the ball basically got to the top of it's ball flight above the green and then nose dived straight down and stopped exactly pin high. That was basically the 1st shot I ever saw a professional golfer hit and it amazed me.

And the current 'top players' are basically 20 years ahead of McGinley's generation in terms of ball striking and ability.

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Late to the party with this but I would pay anything I could afford to play Augusta. If I couldn't afford it I would take out a loan. I'd take a loan for the caddy and personal photographer also. And every piece of merchandise I could get my hands on.

4 years ago James Morrison paid £60,000 for a round at Augusta in a charity auction. I doubt he regretted it!

Those saying it's a field or poor really just don't get it in my opinion. The Old Course isn't the best course I've ever played but it's the only time I've literally been shaking over an opening tee shot and multiple shots on the way round. I'd be 100 times more excited at Augusta.

Augusta has tradition, mystique, history, is mind-blowingly beautiful and one hell of a test of golf.

The only disappointing part of the whole thing would be coming home to tell everyone I put it in the water on 12. But hell, that's still bloody exciting.

D

Deleted member 1147

So just to throw it out there......

If you got the chance to play Augusta, would you rather 1) play it off the back tees like the pros to get the full experience* or 2) play off forward tees to (possibly) hit similar clubs into the greens that the pros hit?

*for full experience read get totally beaten up :eek:

Preferably somewhere in between the 2. Currently one is a bit short, the other very long.

But if I had to choose (oh what a choice) I’d go for the pro tees. Just to see what I could do , even if it beat me to a pulp.

sunshine

Visit site
Id be fully expecting to shoot over 100.

But the 13th for example is 455yds off the members tee!

To be fair, 13 has a massive dog leg so having length off the tee is negated to some extent... unless you take the bubba route over the trees! It's only 510 off the Masters tee.

I watched Tiger's 1997 romp yesterday, and he hit driver - PW into the 15th green on the first two days. Wouldn't you like to do that too!

D

Deleted Member 1156

To be fair, 13 has a massive dog leg so having length off the tee is negated to some extent... unless you take the bubba route over the trees! It's only 510 off the Masters tee.

I watched Tiger's 1997 romp yesterday, and he hit driver - PW into the 15th green on the first two days. Wouldn't you like to do that too!
I'd be happy to hit 3 wood for my third shot, at least it would mean I'm playing the course :love:

inthehole

Hacker
Visit site
I know a good golfer who has played two rounds at Augusta. They were completely underwhelmed. No galleries = pretty open , no azaleas out = looks different , massive changes in elevation ( hard to play) and greens which were not Masters speed ( therefore whole game is different).

Therefore, the answer would depend on when you played there...

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I would 100% play it off the members tees.

The challenge/fun would be trying to hit the right spots on the greens. Completely out of my reach playing from the pro tees.

Saying its completely a fantasy I'd like to do it the monday after the final round. Quick greens and all.

I'd also like a caddy. I'd need the know how when trying to get up and down and use the slopes to get the ball close to the hole. He would be able to advise me where the best place to chip from would be and where would leave me absolutely no chance.

sunshine

Visit site
I would 100% play it off the members tees.

The challenge/fun would be trying to hit the right spots on the greens. Completely out of my reach playing from the pro tees.

Saying its completely a fantasy I'd like to do it the monday after the final round. Quick greens and all.

I'd also like a caddy. I'd need the know how when trying to get up and down and use the slopes to get the ball close to the hole. He would be able to advise me where the best place to chip from would be and where would leave me absolutely no chance.

Would be great fun to try and re-enact some of the most famous shots. I can't hit a 6 iron 200 yards from the pine straw so I'm thinking mainly the short game, like Tiger's chip on 16 in 2005. You can actually try that shot at Northwick Park in Harrow, which has almost exact replicas of the 12th and 16th holes.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Got this from my pro in his newsletter

"On a final note, I am toying with the idea of running a trip to The Masters in 2021 for the Royal Ascot members who may be interested, this would be a once in a lifetime trip and I'm sure it is on many peoples bucket list. All I am asking at this stage is to get in touch if you would be interested in this trip and assuming there is enough interest then I will start to put a trip together for everyone. Like I say absolutely no commitment at this stage just an idea that I would love to be able to put in place for next year"

Could be an option depending on price and Covid. At least I'd get to see some of the best players playing it if I never will myself

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Got this from my pro in his newsletter

"On a final note, I am toying with the idea of running a trip to The Masters in 2021 for the Royal Ascot members who may be interested, this would be a once in a lifetime trip and I'm sure it is on many peoples bucket list. All I am asking at this stage is to get in touch if you would be interested in this trip and assuming there is enough interest then I will start to put a trip together for everyone. Like I say absolutely no commitment at this stage just an idea that I would love to be able to put in place for next year"

Could be an option depending on price and Covid. At least I'd get to see some of the best players playing it if I never will myself

I don't even know how this would work.

How is he going to get tickets?

Only thing I've ever see is Your Golf Travel packages, which are usually £3,000 to £5,000. I'd guess this is the only realistic plan for someone who wasn't an Augusta member or had some friends in very high places.

Personally I'll just stick to entering the ballot. Maybe at one point I'd justify YGT kind of money, but really I think there will always be better things to spend money on at that level.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Only thing I've ever see is Your Golf Travel packages, which are usually £3,000 to £5,000. I'd guess this is the only realistic plan for someone who wasn't an Augusta member or had some friends in very high places.

Personally I'll just stick to entering the ballot. Maybe at one point I'd justify YGT kind of money, but really I think there will always be better things to spend money on at that level.
Think he has YGT connections so assuming via them

D

Deleted Member 1156

There are a lot of ex Wentworth members at Royal Ascot.....money no object!!

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
one of our members played it a few years ago 3 years running just before the masters. First time out he shot 79 off an 8 handicap. I heard from a couple of others that it is scorable and like mentioned the key challenge is the greens and approachess. Personally, i think you can be good around the greens and cope with the severity without being a low single figure player and that, in general, people would cope just fine - the caveat being they would probably need 2 or 3 rounds to calm down and stop shaking!

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes, quite possibly.
I did use "arguably" ?

For me I think it is the best par 3 in tournament golf. Look at how many people have blown their chances on the final day on that short par 3. Just proves that par 3s do not need to be 200 yards to be a challenge. Comparing it to 17th at Sawgrass, I would fancy my chances more of making a 3 on that hole, than the 12th at Augusta.

But going back to the opening question, I would not break the bank to play there. There are a lot of the US Open courses that I would love to play, that you can only play as an invited guest of a member. Some of them I would happily break the bank to experience. like Shinnecock Hills.

If someone said it was $2000 to play Augusta, then I would probably say no thanks. I'm someone who is broke ass poor, but $2000 is a lot for a game of golf. For that I could go to the Monterey Peninsular and play Pebble Beach, Spyglass and Spanish bay, still have enough for food, beer and pay for the hotels.