How far would you financially support yout club at this time?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Not travelling for the 3 days I work away is saving me a decent amount every week on travel and accommodation....

So, going to order 2 new resucues and a 3 wood from the pro shop as soon as this blows over.... and some new club shirts... help the Pro get back on his feet!!

Folk who are able to do so will have a responsibility to help regenerate the businesses of those currently damaged by this.... Mind you, now I bet I get an email this week laying off the contractors for 3 months!

Siolag

Visit site
Not travelling for the 3 days I work away is saving me a decent amount every week on travel and accommodation....

So, going to order 2 new resucues and a 3 wood from the pro shop as soon as this blows over.... and some new club shirts... help the Pro get back on his feet!!

Folk who are able to do so will have a responsibility to help regenerate the businesses of those currently damaged by this.... Mind you, now I bet I get an email this week laying off the contractors for 3 months!

I’m in the same boat, will be saving a fortune on travel, so plan to put that to some nice shiny stuff and some lessons. Paying off my joining fee is simply money I’d have had to pay at some point in the future anyway.

Tab373

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
My club is selling eggs bacon sausages etc until the end of week. Phone place an order and pay and someone brings it out to you. You can also take empty milk containers and they will fill with beer at £1 a pint

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My club is selling eggs bacon sausages etc until the end of week. Phone place an order and pay and someone brings it out to you. You can also take empty milk containers and they will fill with beer at £1 a pint
This is great - but the question then becomes why are those cooking the food and pulling the beer at work? Their travel (to work and to customers) is not essential and the workplace is not an essential workplace.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
This is great - but the question then becomes why are those cooking the food and pulling the beer at work? Their travel (to work and to customers) is not essential and the workplace is not an essential workplace.

Perhaps like my club the steward lives on site. They have taken the decision to empty the fridge/freezers of stock.

You can be very pedantic at times.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'll be paying my subs - do so by DD same with the gym. I would like to come back to them once this is hopefully over. I'm more annoyed that the good weather has begun just as the lockdown occurred!!!!!!

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I think it is important to make the distinction between a gym and a golf club. In almost every case a gym is a profit seeking enterprise so they are aware that your fees have generated profits for them in return for a service. It's only right and fair that they suspend those fees when the facility isn't open, regardless of the reasoning. Operating a business is not risk free, and nor should it be.

For most of us who are members of member owned clubs, your club is not a profit seeking enterprise. It is running for the benefit of it's members and to provide a golf facility, and often a catering, bar, function facility.

I have only been at my club for a few years, but it is certainly somewhere I feel part of and would hate to think it wouldn't survive this. Personal feeling is that it is pretty well run and they certainly have a fairly big operation that I reckon they could cut down if they had to. But, like most clubs, I don't think there will be much in the pot... and if 30 or 40 members don't pay their fees then that's a big hole that I doubt could be filled by cost cutting.

If your club is a privately owned business then I'd be more than happy to treat it the same as a gym... assuming you can live with things if it closed and was never a golf course again?

This is us, a members owned club, not there to make a profit. We try and cover the costs, and have just splashed half a million on new fairway irrigation to avoid the poor conditions we experienced over the last two summers. Much of that came in the form of a gift from a passing member. I'm pretty sure we don't have a deep bank account, and or regular income from the bar and catering etc is about to take it in the pocket big time. Having said that, I pay for two memberships, and have just rejoined the boy as his Uni is now over until September. His summer internship is cancelled in the US meaning he's back with us for the foreseeable future. I think paying 3 memberships is as much as I can do for the club.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Perhaps like my club the steward lives on site. They have taken the decision to empty the fridge/freezers of stock.

You can be very pedantic at times.
Not pedantic - precise - and surely it's important to be precise in our understanding of, and acting upon, what the government is telling us to do? And it was just a simple question - because the club's great initiative (and it is great) does seem to go against what the government is saying in respect of essential travel. Even if the club chef or steward lives on site (as our chef does) home delivery from the clubhouse doesn't seem essential travel.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Our place emailed all members last night and told those of us paying monthly would have our direct debit payments suspended by the club. Those paying by standing order have been told to cancel.

I question how long the club can continue with no income, but as a proprietary club I tip my hat to the owners for being proactive in this. It’s not often they put the members first.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think there is a tough decision to be made here for a number of clubs with annual fees due soon, lose income now by pausing direct debits or risk future income by potentially losing members who will not sign off with the prime part of the season being uncertain and with people paying for nothing for an unknown period

Diamond

Visit site
Had an email today, the club dont offer suspended membership and with a shortfall of £21k-£30k a month a levy is being introduced from a April on subs. As I am paid up until August (paid pro rata from February...I know not much golf with the weather and now CV). The levy will be added to my 2020/2021 subs. They have asked if people can afford to pay their 2020/2021 subs early it would help the club enormously. I emailed back and said if we beat this thing in the next few months and my financial situation does not change then I would be happy to.
I only had lessons last autumn and this is my first season as a golfer. My handicap was only given to me last week.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My club sent out email First thing ..membership frozen until further notice .. no monthly payments taken

Same as the gym last week when they closed that part

Tab373

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
It’s not cooked meat it’s there fresh and frozen stock they are trying to clear. Club is 10 mins away and Tesco 10 mins away and can’t get eggs in tescos so club it is