How would you deal with hostility in the work place?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Apparently some bosses might say - nothing to see here...even when the evidence is clear - and of course that would be unacceptable...one might think :mad:

Now I've been very lucky as I've never experienced or witnessed it - but over the years my wife has witnessed it too many times in the NHS - and as she says - though not herself 'the bullied', simply witnessing it happen and seeing work colleagues distressed and in tears as a result - with the thought that 'I might be next' - that is horrid. Indeed the perpetrators of the bullying in all cases have been individuals who 'you'd never think' would do it - and who might even be a bit 'shocked' that their behaviour was not 'strong management' or 'assertiveness' - but bullying.

After retiring my wife could have gone back to her previous team but didn't because of the 'bullying' she had been seeing in the team for many years...and even now - in a bank role - she tells how dreadful the atmosphere in the team is as the corrosive influence of the behaviour remains. And it impacts everyone - in their work and at home...and it can lead to dark places.

Workplace bullying should never be excused or accommodated. No matter who you are.

Yes the thought is triggered by events in the news - but it has my wife sitting talking to me quite distressed and angry about what she has seen over the years...and that was not properly dealt with by her NHS management. It is still with her.
Did you go searching for this ?

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
SILH- sorry if this seems a bit harsh, but if your wife is witnessing bullying and not reporting it or confronting the bully then she is (almost) as guilty as the person doing the bullying. It needs people to stand up and get things sorted. This will be hard to do but unless people stand up to bullies they will just continue.

sunshine

Visit site
Another way would be to go to the doctors, and be signed off with "stress from bullying" for a month or more, that would cause a flutter.
:rolleyes: really? How does that help anyone?

On the other hand, Great advice from other posters especially londonlewis (y)

To the OP, glad to hear that your partner had a positive conversation with the Director. She now needs to be patient and give him time to resolve the issues. If he is the owner / director to be fair to him he is probably not involved in the day to day stuff so what has been going on is not visible to him. It should be the responsibility of the current manager surely - what has she been doing?

She should be sitting down with the boss again in a month for a follow up to see what has changed...

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Remind me what the political story is today. Might it be about bullying? And is there a mention on the Random irritations thread about "The Pritster...?"
He just can't let politics alone.

I can’t possibly comment on that but I’m obviously sympathetic that so many actions cause such extreme stress and anxiety amongst his family.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Apparently some bosses might say - nothing to see here...even when the evidence is clear - and of course that would be unacceptable...one might think :mad:

Now I've been very lucky as I've never experienced or witnessed it - but over the years my wife has witnessed it too many times in the NHS - and as she says - though not herself 'the bullied', simply witnessing it happen and seeing work colleagues distressed and in tears as a result - with the thought that 'I might be next' - that is horrid. Indeed the perpetrators of the bullying in all cases have been individuals who 'you'd never think' would do it - and who might even be a bit 'shocked' that their behaviour was not 'strong management' or 'assertiveness' - but bullying.

After retiring my wife could have gone back to her previous team but didn't because of the 'bullying' she had been seeing in the team for many years...and even now - in a bank role - she tells how dreadful the atmosphere in the team is as the corrosive influence of the behaviour remains. And it impacts everyone - in their work and at home...and it can lead to dark places.

Workplace bullying should never be excused or accommodated. No matter who you are.

Yes the thought is triggered by events in the news - but it has my wife sitting talking to me quite distressed and angry about what she has seen over the years...and that was not properly dealt with by her NHS management. It is still with her.

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/9Xyuk8cK9yJQflsXRl" width="480" height="270" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="
">via GIPHY</a></p>

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
SILH- sorry if this seems a bit harsh, but if your wife is witnessing bullying and not reporting it or confronting the bully then she is (almost) as guilty as the person doing the bullying. It needs people to stand up and get things sorted. This will be hard to do but unless people stand up to bullies they will just continue.
She did report it, and she did express her view to the bully... Her manager knew about it. But nothing was ever done. Bullying is not always loud and noisy...it is often quiet, subtle and insidious.

Status
Not open for further replies.