Hirsel gone

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Seems a shame from a golfing perspective but I can see that from a farming logistical point of view with plenty of grass already there to graze on. Did the club rent from the estate? My own club has a 100 year lease from Crown Estates, technically HM, so I guess they could pull the plug at any time if they desired or whack our costs up to a prohibitive rate
Mate has relatives in Kelso. Has been the subject of chat locally for some time, apparently

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
My mate, who is a Chartered Surveyor says that the Hirsel Estate, who are probably a creditor for rent, are going to put sheep on the land.
I didn't think that sheep made money any more. You put them on land that is worthless, moors, hills etc. Not a lovely parkland golf course. Holiday homes, glamping, houses etc, that I understand. Sheep, wow.

Also a crime, I'm a real fan of the place :cry:

PaulMdj

Visit site
A cash injection could have saved them therefore they should trade as normal, same as any business in a similar situation.
Having never worked outside the Military, genuine question, surely then they’d of been better of delaying the decision until after today’s Open as they’d of had less people chasing for refund and a possible cash injection through bar/food etc.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Having never worked outside the Military, genuine question, surely then they’d of been better of delaying the decision until after today’s Open as they’d of had less people chasing for refund and a possible cash injection through bar/food etc.
There reaches a point where you are 'trading whilst insolvent'. This is an offence and would cause problems, legally, with any members of the committee. The reality is that the Open may have covered some costs but it would be a sticking plaster. If they are at the insolvency stage, the issue is bigger than £1-2k in open fees, bar income etc. Once you realise the trouble you are in, you have to get someone in, call a halt to matters. I suspect the insolvency company called the closure, it's a safety / legal measure.

They may well re-open, maybe try to trade through things, but that is done in a controlled, legal way. By doing this, the debts are frozen, the system takes over.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
There reaches a point where you are 'trading whilst insolvent'. This is an offence and would cause problems, legally, with any members of the committee. The reality is that the Open may have covered some costs but it would be a sticking plaster. If they are at the insolvency stage, the issue is bigger than £1-2k in open fees, bar income etc. Once you realise the trouble you are in, you have to get someone in, call a halt to matters. I suspect the insolvency company called the closure, it's a safety / legal measure.

They may well re-open, maybe try to trade through things, but that is done in a controlled, legal way. By doing this, the debts are frozen, the system takes over.
They've gone bust, therefore forfeiting their lease & returning possession to the Hirsel Estate, who may well have provoked the situation with an increased rent demand.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Possibly, the problem you have is that there’s never a good time. They may not have had money for wages, equipment etc to fund the open by paying everyone who needs paying. Entry fees won’t cover anywhere near what is required.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just to put the area in to perspective, Hirsel GC is approx 15 miles from Goswick GC, Goswick is an Open Qualifier course in superb condition all year round, Full 7 day membership, £650.00.

There are affluent areas in the Borders, but very low populated and it has Golf Clubs everywhere, it is quite surprising how so many survive imo.

If you like links courses, personally I’d hate to play Goswick on a weekly basis, I’d probably rather pack in playing 🤣

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
off topic but had the pleasure of playing Glenbervie as a guest in april last year, really enjoyed it (y)
Glad you enjoyed it, it wouldn’t have been close to its best in April granted and well worth a summer visit if you can. Also happy to host you if we make dates etc work.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
They seem to have had since February 2024 when a Mark Cowan set up a new Company. Just conjecture but possibly tried to trade through the summer months and realised towards the end of the season that it was a lost cause.

As Lord T. States whilst an affluent area there are too many clubs in The Borders. I played with a great group of lads fro Galashiels, I think, earlier in the year. They had a 110 members I was told.

Tragic loss and so sorry

PaulMdj

Visit site
Possibly, the problem you have is that there’s never a good time. They may not have had money for wages, equipment etc to fund the open by paying everyone who needs paying. Entry fees won’t cover anywhere near what is required.
👍🏻

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
They seem to have had since February 2024 when a Mark Cowan set up a new Company. Just conjecture but possibly tried to trade through the summer months and realised towards the end of the season that it was a lost cause.

As Lord T. States whilst an affluent area there are too many clubs in The Borders. I played with a great group of lads fro Galashiels, I think, earlier in the year. They had a 110 members I was told.

Tragic loss and so sorry
Still seems sad that such an established club goes ahead of perhaps lesser known or clubs as old. I guess some of it must come down to the way it was run and overheads

Golfnut1957

Visit site

As Lord T. States whilst an affluent area there are too many clubs in The Borders. I played with a great group of lads fro Galashiels, I think, earlier in the year. They had 110 members I was told.

Tragic loss and so sorry
The maintenance costs won't have been cheap, they never are with a course structured the way that was (trees, water etc) and if the figure of 110 members is correct it was never going to survive.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The maintenance costs won't have been cheap, they never are with a course structured the way that was (trees, water etc) and if the figure of 110 members is correct it was never going to survive.
I was referring to Galashiels, not Hirsel. No idea of the membership numbers Hirsel had.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes, just read this.

Quite a few local clubs posting on the Hirsel fb page, trying to hoover up the remaining members (honourable mention to Selkirk who have at least offered them free golf until next March).
You can't blame them to be honest. An extra 20-30 members may take a club from making a loss to breaking even/making a small profit.

Still can't get over the low membership numbers :oops:. I played there in an open in July and the course was in great condition, clubhouse was good, enough staff, staff were friendly. Nothing that screamed, 'don't join here'. It would be interesting to hear a members view, did membership plummet because of the wet winter / spring or is there another underlying reason?

Springveldt

Visit site
You can't blame them to be honest. An extra 20-30 members may take a club from making a loss to breaking even/making a small profit.

Still can't get over the low membership numbers :oops:. I played there in an open in July and the course was in great condition, clubhouse was good, enough staff, staff were friendly. Nothing that screamed, 'don't join here'. It would be interesting to hear a members view, did membership plummet because of the wet winter / spring or is there another underlying reason?
At the last census Coldstream had a population of 2,080 and it's surrounded by fields so I'm not surprised the membership is low.