Hirsel gone

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Could the WHS have any bearing on low membership? To have a handicap you no longer need to be a member of a club, and therefore players are saving money by not being a club member.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Could the WHS have any bearing on low membership? To have a handicap you no longer need to be a member of a club, and therefore players are saving money by not being a club member.

Unless the membership is very cheap I wouldn’t expect the numbers to be significant in regards those that were members just for a handicap

PaulMdj

Visit site
It was only £520 or thereabouts for membership so you can see where financial trouble was always on the cards.
Apparently they haven’t been able to recover from the closures this year and the Hirsel estate had been subsidising it for a few years now.
Rumoured it won’t be put up for sale, plan is to plant trees on it.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Revisited this thread a number of times hoping for better news. It’s a cracking course for an away day. Doesn’t beat you up, hugely welcoming staff. A sad, sad loss to the game.

Would love to think someone will step in. If I had a lottery win I’d bank roll it.

peld

Visit site
It’s a nice course but I can’t say it’s surprising. Very little population base nearby, not really on a tourist trail (and tourists probably go to Roxburgh first).

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Spookily this popped up on my Facebook at the weekend

The Management Committee of the Hirsel Golf Club would like to thank everyone for the kind words and messages we have received over the last three days following our AGM on Wednesday 11th September when a vote was passed to enter bankruptcy proceedings. Very sadly we can no longer survive as the expenditure to run our course and clubhouse exceeds the income we are generating.
The Hirsel Golf Club was founded in 1948 and we would like to start by thanking all our members for the support over the many years. There will be so many memories for everyone to take away and share following their time as a very valued member of our club.
To all our staff, thank you for looking after the course and clubhouse often working very long hours to ensure members and golfing visitors had a wonderful experience on and off the course. So many volunteers help and do so much behind the scenes often unnoticed and their help is very much appreciated.
Our Open competitions were always so well supported by both members and golfers who travelled from the Scottish Borders, Northumberland, the Lothians, the West and further afield. Thank you and I hope you will all have happy memories of your time playing our course and enjoying our fabulous facilities.
To all our visiting and society parties, thank you for choosing our course. So many of you came year after year and we certainly appreciated that. We hope you too have happy memories of time spent at the Hirsel.
Our Sponsors, your support has allowed us to run competitions and events for both members and visiting party golfers to enjoy. Thank you very much.
To all our contractors and suppliers, thank you for working with us. Many of you have been suppliers for decades and we appreciate the great working relationships we have had over the years.
Finally, thank you to Douglas and Angus Estates for their support over the years, particularly during some financially challenging times.
Thank you all, we are going to miss the friendship, comradeship and wonderful golfing fun we have all had over the many decades.

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
I think there will be a few more heading that way soon enough

Damn shame

One of the worst par 3s you’ll ever play is at the hirsel like and one of the best (already been mentioned)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
there used to be a guy on here who was the sec at the club, but it was years ago. Dodger, he organised a couple of the England Vs Scotland Ryder cup matches at Goswick

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Might be an unpopular opinion but I always felt that their green fee was way too low at £35 any time. And even then not getting that most of the time through deals or multiple opens.

At a time where even mediocre clubs are charging GFs of £50 and up I always felt like I was ripping them off when I paid £35.

My old golf club charges £21 midweek for 18 holes with a breakfast

The course is average at best but always rammed because of the price

The restaurant however is well regarded in the area also they have a very cheap hotel which because of it's location lots of people stay in midweek working away from home then go back

So many sources of income (that's without the weddings and funerals it hosts)

Mental in this day and age to see a course charge so low