Scottish Borders

craig l

Visit site
Hi

In the summer I'm heading up to Aberdeen to met up with family and to have a few rounds of golf.

On the way up I'll be stopping over in Newcastle then finishing the journey the next day. I'm looking to have a rd on the way up roughly 2 hrs north of Newcastle somewhere in the Scottish Borders.

I have played several courses along the A1 in the past, so I looking for somewhere I haven't played before.

I`ve come up with a shortlist of Cardrona, Woll, Hirsel and Torwoodlee.

I`m just wondering if anyone as played these courses, and is they a hidden gem among them

Cheers
Craig

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
The Hirsel is a lovely course with really interesting layout and great holes. Personally, I would avoid Cardrona as it has always been poor every time I have played it. Built on the banks of the River Tweed, it is prone to being extremely wet. Another course considering is the Roxburgh, which although it is long, is a lovely course.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
@CliveW has nailed it with his post. I love The Hirsel, am playing it again this year in an open. Smashing course, fun to play. The Roxburghe is a serious course, big boys stuff but quite superb. Play it off the righ tees for your level and it is a real pleasure. It's harder than the Hirsel so if you want a lighter round go with the Hirsel.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Avoid Cardrona and The Woll. Torwoodlee is an interesting course and as others have said The Hirsel is the pick of that bunch by a country mile. Personally I'm not keen on The Roxburghe, too many long walks between holes.

My own two favourites up there are Hawick which is a brilliant quirky course which winds its way up around a hill for 16 holes, and then you come back down in two. The second is West Linton, probably the best course out there, as I'm sure many here will testify to.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I agree with West Linton and Roxburghe is a slog, far too long for me. One option for me would be Baberton. The reason being if I have a 4.5 hour drive I prefer somewhere close to the road I am going on. Expect you will be on A720 and Baberton fits the bill and West Linton to a lesser degree.

That is My5 personal preference and everybody is different.

Albo

Visit site
As a member of Baberton, I’d not suggest it as a stop, just not somewhere I’d travel to to play.
West Linton though, yes go there

Links Lover

Visit site
Hirsel and Woll are lovely courses. Hirsel probably the better course, but Woll more picturesque in my opinion.

I'd also throw in Galashiels and Melrose if you have time to fit a quick 9 holer in too. Both legit hidden gems and absolutely stunning settings.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hirsel and Woll are lovely courses. Hirsel probably the better course, but Woll more picturesque in my opinion.

I'd also throw in Galashiels and Melrose if you have time to fit a quick 9 holer in too. Both legit hidden gems and absolutely stunning settings.
Have you played Peebles? I've heard good things about it, wondering whether it is worth the trip?

Springveldt

Visit site
Hi

In the summer I'm heading up to Aberdeen to met up with family and to have a few rounds of golf.

On the way up I'll be stopping over in Newcastle then finishing the journey the next day. I'm looking to have a rd on the way up roughly 2 hrs north of Newcastle somewhere in the Scottish Borders.

I have played several courses along the A1 in the past, so I looking for somewhere I haven't played before.

I`ve come up with a shortlist of Cardrona, Woll, Hirsel and Torwoodlee.

I`m just wondering if anyone as played these courses, and is they a hidden gem among them

Cheers
Craig
Played Torwoodlee a couple of years ago, was decent but not something I would go out of my way to play. Was a pretty short course with loads of room if you are a bit inaccurate.

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have you played Peebles? I've heard good things about it, wondering whether it is worth the trip?

Group of us played it last July
Decent course, some nice holes, quite varied
Was in good nick last summer, nice big clubhouse, but if visiting on a Monday then bear in mind there will be no food served.
We found out upon arriving.
Though there were a couple sandwiches left in a glass cabinet.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I've played Peebles quite a few times in the past. Very nice course, clubhouse and views.
We made a few trips up there in the past, and while everyone else thought the course was great, I wasn't so sure. The views are pure Brigadoon and as I remember the clubhouse is relatively new and was opened by a current member of the Royal Family with photos of the event quite prominent in the bar. I bet they are long gone ;)

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
No catering but you can have a sandwich from yesterday that's been sat in a glass cabinet for 2 days 🤢😂.

Sounds like it's worth a trip, Mondays excepted 😄
Not 100% they were 'yesterdays' so please don't quote me on that 🤣

Starts with a par 3
Some decent holes in middle of the round
The last few......up the hill then back down really
But all the lads that went enjoyed it👍