Hirsel gone

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Does anyone know how big the debts are and why it’s struggled ?
Might be an unpopular opinion but I always felt that their green fee was way too low at £35 any time. And even then not getting that most of the time through deals or multiple opens.

At a time where even mediocre clubs are charging GFs of £50 and up I always felt like I was ripping them off when I paid £35.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Might be an unpopular opinion but I always felt that their green fee was way too low at £35 any time. And even then not getting that most of the time through deals or multiple opens.

At a time where even mediocre clubs are charging GFs of £50 and up I always felt like I was ripping them off when I paid £35.

What about membership fees though as they should be the bulk of the income

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

A pp asked them that question a few years ago and they replied that their membership fees and visitor fees were set just below the pinch point. Any more and people would join one of the many other clubs nearby, would not travel to play there. As you know, Scotland is not short of golf clubs and the Borders area is no different. Now, I would have had the Hirsel down as one of the stronger ones and others would have been in trouble. Sadly, it looks like my view was misplaced.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

That seems paltry in todays market. If annual subs were similarly small then it does seem they had insufficient revenue coming in (as results proved). Was it run by members or did it have a GM and others who should have been in control in these things

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
That seems paltry in todays market. If annual subs were similarly small then it does seem they had insufficient revenue coming in (as results proved). Was it run by members or did it have a GM and others who should have been in control in these things
You have to remember it is a club in the Scottish Borders. Numerous other golf clubs, not an overly wealthy area, limited population, slightly isolated in terms of nearest large population. You don't get big fees in area like that.

Their fees are low but it is what the market can take up there. What we don't know at this stage, what is it that has pushed them over the edge? Maybe they are very reliant on visitor numbers and I know they were closed a lot due to rain over winter and spring. Hard to know how to solve it without knowing what caused it.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
What about membership fees though as they should be the bulk of the income
Can only comment of visitor fees as not a member. But when mediocre clubs are charging more whilst still attracting visitors and surviving then you have to question the overall strategy.

Someone said the borders aren’t wealthy. Scottish borders region have some of the most affluent villages and towns in Scotland. Like everywhere they have poor areas but overall its not a hard up area.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just for reference, in that area, the green fees are as follows. These are advertised green fees, not funky ones with county cards, discounts etc.

The Hirsel - £35
Duns - £32
Selkirk - £20
Kelso - £20

Golf is cheap around there.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Can only comment of visitor fees as not a member. But when mediocre clubs are charging more whilst still attracting visitors and surviving then you have to question the overall strategy.

Someone said the borders aren’t wealthy. Scottish borders region have some of the most affluent villages and towns in Scotland. Like everywhere they have poor areas but overall its not a hard up area.
It’s a shame to see any course closed , hopefully someone will pick it up if it’s a decent course

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Friends of mine were due to travel down from Edinburgh to play in the open today. I contacted one of them last night and apparently the club called him late last night to advise him of the closure. Very disappointing but at least it saved them a wasted 120 mile round trip.

PaulMdj

Visit site
Just to put the area in to perspective, Hirsel GC is approx 15 miles from Goswick GC, Goswick is an Open Qualifier course in superb condition all year round, Full 7 day membership, £650.00.

There are affluent areas in the Borders, but very low populated and it has Golf Clubs everywhere, it is quite surprising how so many survive imo.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Just had a look at their website and really looked like a club it would be good to be a member of/play at. Real shame if it goes to the wall

(looked at their recent midweek Open, 20 quid entry and 600 bucks worth of prizes! Jeez I hope that was a sponsored event)

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just to put the area in to perspective, Hirsel GC is approx 15 miles from Goswick GC, Goswick is an Open Qualifier course in superb condition all year round, Full 7 day membership, £650.00.

There are affluent areas in the Borders, but very low populated and it has Golf Clubs everywhere, it is quite surprising how so many survive imo.
We have 4 inside the Dunfermline catchment and each survives just fine. It’s about sensible strategic management.

PaulMdj

Visit site
We have 4 inside the Dunfermline catchment and each survives just fine. It’s about sensible strategic management.
You may have, but what is the standard of each course and who they attract?
Hirsel as you know is near Coldstream snd the town advertises 7 in a 30 min radius.

It’s a shame but the whole area relies on tourism and when a course suffers from the rain, locals join the links courses.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We’ve got 3 within around 3 miles with Glenbervie (my club), Falkirk Tryst and Falkirk Carmuir who are all thriving and Glenbervie still has a waiting list and a hefty joining fee.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
My mate, who is a Chartered Surveyor says that the Hirsel Estate, who are probably a creditor for rent, are going to put sheep on the land.
Seems a shame from a golfing perspective but I can see that from a farming logistical point of view with plenty of grass already there to graze on. Did the club rent from the estate? My own club has a 100 year lease from Crown Estates, technically HM, so I guess they could pull the plug at any time if they desired or whack our costs up to a prohibitive rate

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
We’ve got 3 within around 3 miles with Glenbervie (my club), Falkirk Tryst and Falkirk Carmuir who are all thriving and Glenbervie still has a waiting list and a hefty joining fee.

off topic but had the pleasure of playing Glenbervie as a guest in april last year, really enjoyed it (y)

Reactions: Val