Have you ever got lost

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Just reading a comment LT said about company days at golf. Re lads turning up with shiny new gear and it reminded me of something at our place.
A Company turned up one day and four lads walked off our 18th and asked where’s the rest of the holes. They walked straight from our 11th green to the 17th tee. Played that then the 18th and asked where the other 5 holes are when we are stood on the 10th tee which is at the side of the 18th green. When we told them, they went straight to the bar.
so have you ever got lost on a course.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
1st time I played our academy course before becoming a member. 6th hole is a dogleg left par 4. My drive went right onto the 5th fairway, I could see a flag behind some bushes and went for it. Putted out in the 4th green again, only realised it because the 7th tee box was hard to find from there ;-)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Rockliffe Hall. Big course, big gaps between tees, no signs pointing you where to go. We went wrong on a number of occasions but thankfully never actually played the wrong hole. It made a long course even longer, having to double back frequently.

Matfen Hall, played into the wrong green on a hole and only realised when another group played onto the green and walked in from another direction. I still think if I played it again I could potentially do the same as it made more sense than the way the hole actually was laid out ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah, at Uxbridge, it's only a 12 hole course. But the tee markers weren't out for some reason. We played 1 to 5 I think, and then accidentally jumped to the 10th or 11th or something, played to the end then went back and played the ones we'd missed. If that wasn't bad enough, one of us had played there before, he just couldn't bloody remember it!

Worse still, on one hole he informed us it was a dogleg right, so me and the other chap hit perfect drives cutting the corner nicely, touch of fade - they had to be in position A. Then we get down there and it turns out it's a dogleg left - so our balls are in the cabbage and about 250 yards away from the green.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
We played Newbiggin (by the sea) in March 2019, the North East Fire Brigades spring opener.

As the first group out we set a cracking pace, following a pair of locals a couple of holes in front and leaving the next group a couple of holes behind.

As we reached the far end of the course strange things started to occur. We had seen the pair in front on a tee up on a dune but when we got there it appeared to be facing the wrong way and there was no clue as to the direction of the hole anywhere, nor could we see the group in front any longer. We had two laps of a giant dune looking for another tee, a conversation with the group behind who had now caught us up confirmed that they had no idea where to go either, and so went back to the tee up on the dune and hit in the direction we assumed to be correct, which it was.

It got stranger. My mates GPS started to read 999 and continued to do so for 4 or 5 holes. We then had one further episode of hunt the tee, and consequently the direction of the hole.

As we left the course the Pro was waiting for us and apologised profusely. The club had completely changed the layout of the course for the whole of the winter, and they had forgotten to tell us. The GPS was reading 999 because we were over 1000 yards from the hole the mapping thought we were on.

While the group behind us were getting by from following us, the group behind them were miles back so didn't benefit from our discoveries and had to do it all over again. Mental.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Princes

Peeing down

Smoked a drive down 18 , best drive of the day for me

Got there . Smashed the hyrbid to just short of green well happy

We then realised this was the 9th

Crossed to 18

Finished with a 7 or something

Annoying

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Played Painswick with a friend from work a few years ago. First time playing there for both of us. Not sure how but mid-round we left a green, arrived at the next tee only to find it was the red. Couldn't see a yellow or white anywhere so played off the red for one hole. Nice to be able to drive a green.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Remington golf club in Kissimmee. The course is in the middle of a housing complex and I was playing on my own. Having put one ball into a villa on about the 5th hole I carried on and played to the flag that was in front of me even though it seemed a long way away. When I got to the next tee, some how I had managed to miss out 2 or 3 holes. :unsure:

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes , we got lost trying to walk in after playing 9 holes of our 2nd round at Dougalston GC Milingavie.
This is the course where Brian Barnes lost 5 balls on the opening day.
Back in the early 80s, you couldn't even see the course from the club house.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
We played Newbiggin (by the sea) in March 2019, the North East Fire Brigades spring opener.

As the first group out we set a cracking pace, following a pair of locals a couple of holes in front and leaving the next group a couple of holes behind.

As we reached the far end of the course strange things started to occur. We had seen the pair in front on a tee up on a dune but when we got there it appeared to be facing the wrong way and there was no clue as to the direction of the hole anywhere, nor could we see the group in front any longer. We had two laps of a giant dune looking for another tee, a conversation with the group behind who had now caught us up confirmed that they had no idea where to go either, and so went back to the tee up on the dune and hit in the direction we assumed to be correct, which it was.

It got stranger. My mates GPS started to read 999 and continued to do so for 4 or 5 holes. We then had one further episode of hunt the tee, and consequently the direction of the hole.

As we left the course the Pro was waiting for us and apologised profusely. The club had completely changed the layout of the course for the whole of the winter, and they had forgotten to tell us. The GPS was reading 999 because we were over 1000 yards from the hole the mapping thought we were on.

While the group behind us were getting by from following us, the group behind them were miles back so didn't benefit from our discoveries and had to do it all over again. Mental.

Haha yes, same thing happened to us when we played the winter course (aka the Dunes?) for the first time. I think it was the 8th we got hopelessly lost on.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
First time I played moray old, new course crosses at the turn and we all played 2 holes on the new before realising. Also Panmure, tee off then went down the wrongfairway and played to the wrong green

HeftyHacker

Visit site
First time I ever played my current club was a solo round using a few playmoregolf away points I had left. The 7th is a par 5 that plays up a hill, then doglegs right. I played my tee shot right up to the marker post on the top of the hill. Get to the top and assume that the second shot is perfectly straight (its quite an open linksy course for the first 10 holes), so I hit another cracking 3 wood thinking that will have got me somewhere near. Walked around this copse of trees down a fairway and I'm really confused to find a green tucked away about 40 yards away yet my watch is still telling me I'm over 200 away.

Turns out I've played up the 9th fairway (the wrong way) and the green is for the par 3 8th.

I tried to hit a 3rd right over the top of everything back to the correct green, which i now knew the location of thanks to an app on my phone, and nearly took the head off a bloke walking down to the 8th.

I ran over to apologise and it turned out to be a mate from work who had joined a week earlier! So I ended up joining him for the remainder of the round and joining myself a week later.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Not that I can remember personally but it used to happen a lot at Whipsnade
The 2nd green is between the 3rd and 16th tees, the 3rd being behind some trees.
There is a sign but its in such a daft place and so small its very easy to miss.
The other spot is from the 4th to the 5th.
A very general sign that kind of points the way but you have to go around the 15th tee to get to it....'nuff said.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
A few years ago we teed off behind four visitors. We waited to play every shot on the second & third, with a big gap opening up in front of the visitors, no sign of them calling us through. Waiting to play our second shots, we watched them walk off the third green & onto the 17th tee. We probably could have shouted over but I'm ashamed to say that we just let them play. At least they got 23 holes for their green fee & we probably saved half an hour on the course.