Handicap of a "good" player

AlbertsTache

Club Champion
Visit site
When speaking to people who don't play the game I've heard different opinions on what they consider a "good" player. Just wondered what handicap everyone thinks you have to be to be considered good?

AlbertsTache

Club Champion
Visit site
It depends on where you are looking from. To me good is somebody that is scratch or plus.

This is where I stand on it too, the guy I spoke to today said his brother plays golf and is a good player. I asked his handicap and it is 13. I'm off 4 and don't consider myself a "good" player.

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When speaking to people who don't play the game I've heard different opinions on what they consider a "good" player. Just wondered what handicap everyone thinks you have to be to be considered good?

A "good" player to me is someone in single figures with less than 5 being very good. Get to 1 or less and you're falling into great.

It depends on where you are looking from. To me good is somebody that is scratch or plus.

It's all relative. You play off 3 according to your sig so you're one of the good guys to Mr Joe Average. Obviously there are players that are better than you, but that doesn't mean you don't fall under the "good/very good" category.

S

Snelly

A scratch or + handicap is exceptional.

1-3 is very good.

3-6 is good.

7-10 is reasonable.

10-13 is not bad.

13-18 is passable.

18+ - no comment.

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A scratch or + handicap is exceptional.

1-3 is very good.

3-6 is good.

7-10 is reasonable.

10-13 is not bad.

13-18 is passable.

18+ - no comment.

What about people like you who have no official handicap. I guess that makes you exceptional as you play off scratch right?

S

Snelly

Even scratch to someone who a plus handicap is a different league.

I don't agree. If you are off 0, you are a proper golfer and can hold your own in a matchplay situation against nearly all good amateurs.

Bigger difference between 0 and 2 and 0 and +2 in my view. In approximately ten years of trying hard, I never got to 0 and it seemed a long way off, even though I was off 1.4 to 3 during my best golfing years.

S

Snelly

What about people like you who have no official handicap. I guess that makes you exceptional as you play off scratch right?

People like me? I am far from exceptional. :( Not quite sure where you are coming from?

Officially though you are correct. If you have no handicap and wish to play in an event that requires one then yes, you are obliged to play off scratch.

D

Deleted member 17920

I don't agree. If you are off 0, you are a proper golfer and can hold your own in a matchplay situation against nearly all good amateurs.

Bigger difference between 0 and 2 and 0 and +2 in my view. In approximately ten years of trying hard, I never got to 0 and it seemed a long way off, even though I was off 1.4 to 3 during my best golfing years.
I wasn't talking matchplay as you don't get a handicap from matchplay. I watch the golfers who are 1-4 then watch the golfers here that are +2 +3 and +4 and its a different league. It really is worlds apart from the 1 and 2 handicaps that I have seen. I am sure you was good whilst you was off 1.4 but to play to +2-+4 is just totally different.

D

Deleted Member 1156

On a slightly different topic..... does anyone think it is easier to attain a lower handicap these days? Reason I ask, there is an old guy at my club (mid 70's) who used to play off scratch. He told me that back then, there were only about 70 or so scratch golfers in the country yet today there are probably 70 +3's or better.

Anyone got any info on his claim?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I don't consider 5 to be good when compared to, say, 2 or 3. To get from 7.4 to 5.4 requires someone to play 10 below their handicap - not too hard over a few rounds. To get from 5.4 to 3.4 requires them to play 20 below handicap - a lot harder.