Golf Opens 2023 (for us amateurs)

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
So far I have Eyemouth in March, 1 day late entering so on the waiting list for Goswick.
This week booked Kings in Inverness and Boat of Garten in August.
Usually play a few more local to me.
Would love to get to Silloth, so will check that out.

Captain_Black.

Visit site
I've got 5 booked between April and August, £72 for the lot. Obviously not top class courses, but all decent enough, and will be a nice change of scenery.

Same as me.
I've got a nice spread of Opens booked May through to Sept.
My criteria is up to £25.00 without food
Up to £32.00 with food.
I ignore all the silly expensive ones.
Some clubs are really starting to get silly with their pricing of Opens.
It's now often cheaper to just go to a course you fancy playing on the County Card.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Same as me.
I've got a nice spread of Opens booked May through to Sept.
My criteria is up to £25.00 without food
Up to £32.00 with food.
I ignore all the silly expensive ones.
Some clubs are really starting to get silly with their pricing of Opens.
It's now often cheaper to just go to a course you fancy playing on the County Card.

Perhaps, but no prizes on the county card.

I've never played an open where food was included.

Captain_Black.

Visit site
Perhaps, but no prizes on the county card.

I've never played an open where food was included.

When the prize pot hunters come in with nearly 50 points for a Stableford comp, I'll be lucky to be placed higher than halfway, so my chances of getting in the prizes are nil.

I've noticed clubs jacking up the prices this year by including food, where they haven't done so before or adding a bacon roll & coffee on arrival, but increasing the cost by around £15.00 compared to last years price.

D

Deleted member 31467

Also Beau Desert.

I've noticed some places are asking for six scores for h/c to be record in comps to collect prizes. Good idea, but a pain for me as the wife doesn't play in any. Just has general play cards in, but they are genuine scores.
It's good in principle but a total waste of time. If someone wants to manipulate their handicap they will. Couple of 3 putts in the last few holes, duff a chip here or there. Sacrifice a midweek stableford score to keep the handicap high for a lucrative open.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Our open is up to £45 for visitors. Pricey for an open but still a bargain.
Across the NE & Highlands (which is where I play 99% of my Opens), last year seemed to see the first real hike in prices in many years, the one that really made my jaw drop tho was Edzell, their Men's opens still £20 a head, but their Seniors up to £30 o_O

I joined a second club for the first time, so I played many fewer than I normally would, but even if I hadn't I'd have cut back as the entry fees are now too high. Historically I'd play 30-40 opens a year for around £600, those days are now gone. For 2023 I'm currently in 7 with a possible 4 more that either haven't opened yet or I'm not sure about, and that'll likely be it. Changed days indeed.

Captain_Black.

Visit site
I joined a second club for the first time, so I played many fewer than I normally would, but even if I hadn't I'd have cut back as the entry fees are now too high. Historically I'd play 30-40 opens a year for around £600, those days are now gone. For 2023 I'm currently in 7 with a possible 4 more that either haven't opened yet or I'm not sure about, and that'll likely be it. Changed days indeed.

I am similarl to you.
I used to play in about 2 or 3 opens per month April - October, so approx 15 - 20 away opens.
This year I've cut them right back to about 6 or 7 away opens.
I'll still play plenty of away courses, as I'll play more team golf at usually £12 - £15 a pop Inc food.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
So far I have Eyemouth in March, 1 day late entering so on the waiting list for Goswick.
This week booked Kings in Inverness and Boat of Garten in August.
Usually play a few more local to me.
Would love to get to Silloth, so will check that out.

Loved Eyemouth. Longest hole in Scotland. Pared it.? The wife got it down in 7 off whites

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Would love to enter a bunch of Opens this year but my wider family life is looking so uncertain and difficult that I feel unable to commit the time to entering any…most frustrating…will just have to take my chances were the opportunity to present itself. Meanwhile I’ll just have to contain my jealously of those able to play all those lovely Opens ?

That said I might just stick my name down for one of the Opens at my old club in Bristol as it would be nice to see how it’s developed and matured since the major works done on it when I was a member back 30 yrs ago. And it’s an inexpensive entry.