Golf Opens 2023 (for us amateurs)

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I know guys that used to play in that. They said it was bandit territory!
You're correct they have some crazy points scored lol.
We go knowing we've no chance of winning, we go just to play top courses at a good price.
So far we've played Turnberry Ailsa, Gleneagles, Dundonald.
They also have events at Kingsbarns, Trump Aberdeen, CrudenBay, Panmure, Lanark, Royal Lytham, Hillside, Hesketh. lots of other top courses, plus deals in Turkey.
especially on their Champions tour for seniors.
Worth checking (y)

Last edited:

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Just looking at a few places for opens and noticed a lot of places dont have open age events - just senior, womens or mixed events.

Does anyone know why this might be? I can understand that an open age event would likely have to be a weekend to be fully subscribed and that would have an impact on full green fees and annoy the members but it does seem like they are good money spinners in the main...

evemccc

Visit site
Got a cancellation spot in the Goswick Open today.

Is it your first time there Ken? Super course, I loved it. The Par 5 6th(?) is one of my very favourites on any course.
Only the 9th is the only not so good hole….the 18th also seems to get criticism but I thought was fine and a good matchplay hole

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Is it your first time there Ken? Super course, I loved it. The Par 5 6th(?) is one of my very favourites on any course.
Only the 9th is the only not so good hole….the 18th also seems to get criticism but I thought was fine and a good matchplay hole

Played lots of times. In the open and we have reciprocal deal there.

Favourite holes are 14, par 4 with the green next to a big sand hill and the 15th, wacky downhill par 3. It is a really great finish to the course.
Not a big fan of the very tricky first hole. Think they are planning changing the 9th.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
We've got booked into the pairs in August, Silloth, proper course, always enjoy
Moogie, what tee time did you get? I was waiting to hear from an old friend on here, Splashtryagain, and totally forgot it opened yesterday! Went on this evening and manged to bag 08.40 with an already-entered two ball.
Happy days! Loved it last year and hoping for good things this year!

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Moogie, what tee time did you get? I was waiting to hear from an old friend on here, Splashtryagain, and totally forgot it opened yesterday! Went on this evening and manged to bag 08.40 with an already-entered two ball.

Happy days! Loved it last year and hoping for good things this year!

Sure we're off 230pm

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
With an amazing 'Fasted fingers first' session a couple of weeks ago I got into a handful of EngGolf Events that LincolnQuaker (Glynn) is heavily involved in running.

England Senior Series in 2023 with a Captains event the day after -

30 May 2023 - Hesketh Golf Club (SOLD OUT)

6 June 2023 - Seaton Carew Golf Club

13 June 2023 - Hollinwell Golf Club (SOLD OUT in 3 minutes)

20 June 2023 - Wetherby Golf Club

Top eight (if full field) from each event will qualify for the Tour Championship finals on the world famous Hotchkin course at Woodhall Spa, the home of England Golf on Wednesday 16 August 2023
The same applies to the Captain's Events except they play 2 x 18holes over two days.
Over night accommodation & all food provided...... excellent value & very professionally run.

Is anybody else entered for these or ones in other parts?
Which are -

10 May 2023 - Saunton Golf Club (West Course)

15 May 2023 - Copt Heath Golf Club

23 May 2023 - Marlborough Golf Club

28 June 2023 - Wellingborough Golf Club

3 July 2023 - Gog Magog Golf Club (Wandlebury Course)

12 July 2023 - Tandridge Golf Club

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Does anyone know why this might be? I can understand that an open age event would likely have to be a weekend to be fully subscribed and that would have an impact on full green fees and annoy the members but it does seem like they are good money spinners in the main...
For exactly this reason, especuially places with high membership fees, membvers don't like losing a day, especially if club finances don't need it

HeftyHacker

Visit site
For exactly this reason, especuially places with high membership fees, membvers don't like losing a day, especially if club finances don't need it

Yeah that's fair enough then. I notice we only tend to have them at weekends during the shoulder season at my own club. However we do get a lot of societies on Sundays which can be frustrating but must generate a lot of income for the club.

In answer to the original OP though we've booked Bolton Old Links, Pleasington and Stockport so far as the courses we wanted to play, and will loom at others closer to the time if we've all got a weekend free etc.

Jason.H

Visit site
Booked in at Coxmoor for the singles stable ford on 15th June. Still spaces available. Not played there yet so will need a practice round.

Vikingman

Head Pro
Visit site
My first open this year is the 11th April, then as things stand have one a week booked to the end of July. Will book August, September and October opens in a couple of months. Tend to stick to a 70 mile radius so that gives us Lancashire, Cheshire, North Wales and parts of Derbyshire, Shropshire and Yorkshire to aim at. All of them are seniors, most are 4BBB and the courses are not spectacular but we enjoy them for what they are, a good day out at a reasonable price and occasionally we get lucky.