Golf Opens 2023 (for us amateurs)

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've noticed a few are already booked up, but have got us (me and the wife) into Beau Desert and Lindrick so far. I'm still looking for a another two for us. Pike Fold ( in my top 5 places to play) is already nailed on, wife bought as an Xmas pressie and a meal at the Red Cat. Wouldn't mind another crack at Stockport, Ian if you're up here this year I let you down so badly last year. Wouldn't mind a game at Ellesmere either.
Anyone got some booked?

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Anyone got some booked?
Did a whole screed yesterday, now that I'm a senior it seems you need to get in quick for the good courses or yer knacked. Probably won't play many more than those already booked, Edzell, Ballater, Banchory, Brechin, Aboyne, Boat of Garten & Kirriemuir. Will add Cruden Bay when it opens, considering Silloth, and maybe Newmacher Hawkshill.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Me and a mate used to do the Broadstone and Ferndown 4BBB opens every year. We stopped a couple of years ago when the prices started to increase to stupid amounts. Yes you get a meal, but Broadstone this year is £90 per person.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A friend put together a site, with opens listed by calendar date, and links direct to sites for entries, rather than needing some kind of membership with Golf Empire.

I have a load ready to enter when they go live. Some dates clashes, but will make a decision on them at some point

38A79CF7-7DAF-4240-ADDD-B4A2DCAC0B1C.jpeg

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
For anybody who is serious about Opens you MUST join golf empire as a Premium Member. At £9.98 it is an absolute steal.

Once you get used to the site it has daily around now ALL courses that have been recently listed on that day. Also if you want to know what Opens there are on say 1/7/23 there is a calendar tool for the date. You can then state the type of Comp. you want, eg singles, 4BBB and the work is done. I play around 20 Opens usually in Scotland and it is invaluable. I have nothing to do with Golf Empire.

Also a site called Happy Golf.

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
I myself prefer happygolf.co.uk, the reason being my location gives me about four or five different counties all within the hours drive we limit on travel to opens it also gives the search by date function and other filters, I just find it works better for me.

Visit site
Flicking through the Open events for the next 12 months always frustrates me.

There's a whole bunch for scratch players with a low handicap limit (say 2-3.. but the ballot will likely be at +1.0ish with all the WHS dodginess)
There's then a whole bunch at 35+ or aimed at the old boys with a more sensible handicap limit (5-8)
Then there's the Junior Opens, Ladies Open, Mixed Foursomes...

Where are the "OPEN" events for a 30 year old bloke who plays off 4? I need to get better, older, or operated on to be able to play any of them.

Bonus frustration about competitive golf;
Prior to WHS, I was off 6. I competed in the Surrey 5s and really enjoyed it, became a mainstay in the side.
WHS came in, I got cut to 4, and I am no longer eligible for the Surrey 5s.
Surrey argue that below 5 handicap puts you in the ball park for the scratch team.

Except... I am about the 45th best golfer at my club (yes! My handicap puts me in the top 2% in England, but only top 7% at the club).

On my list:
- John Cross @ Worplesdon (ballot permitting)
- Mixed Foursomes @ Worplesdon
- Blackmoor Bowl
- Chanctonbury Ring @ West Sussex (ballot permitting)
- Woolpack Open @ West Surrey
- Silver Frigate/Sword @ Farnham