Golf Opens 2023 (for us amateurs)

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don't think we are going to enter any this year given how much our annual subs are now and how little we are going to be able to play our home course.

Last edited:

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Flicking through the Open events for the next 12 months always frustrates me.

There's a whole bunch for scratch players with a low handicap limit (say 2-3.. but the ballot will likely be at +1.0ish with all the WHS dodginess)
There's then a whole bunch at 35+ or aimed at the old boys with a more sensible handicap limit (5-8)
Then there's the Junior Opens, Ladies Open, Mixed Foursomes...

Where are the "OPEN" events for a 30 year old bloke who plays off 4? I need to get better, older, or operated on to be able to play any of them.

Bonus frustration about competitive golf;
Prior to WHS, I was off 6. I competed in the Surrey 5s and really enjoyed it, became a mainstay in the side.
WHS came in, I got cut to 4, and I am no longer eligible for the Surrey 5s.
Surrey argue that below 5 handicap puts you in the ball park for the scratch team.

Except... I am about the 45th best golfer at my club (yes! My handicap puts me in the top 2% in England, but only top 7% at the club).

On my list:
- John Cross @ Worplesdon (ballot permitting)
- Mixed Foursomes @ Worplesdon
- Blackmoor Bowl
- Chanctonbury Ring @ West Sussex (ballot permitting)
- Woolpack Open @ West Surrey
- Silver Frigate/Sword @ Farnham

I’m in the same boat. It’s just being smart about picking them. The site I referenced earlier shows what the event balloted at last year, so you get a good idea as to which ones you have a chance at getting in

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Where are the "OPEN" events for a 30 year old bloke who plays off 4? I need to get better, older, or operated on to be able to play any of them.
Scotland.

Totally different golf culture to England, but balloted and cat 1 restricted Opens up here are very rare, just trying to find a normal open in England is hard work. And boy do you love the cheats charter of 4BBB opens. I honestly don't get it.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Na...there's plenty. You only hear about the comedy ones! ?
I think Cheshire/Manchester area must be a black hole then, there just isn't anything like the number each weekend you'd expect to see in a local area in Scotland, and conversely if you want to find one in Scotland restricted to cat 1, good luck, you'll look a long time

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
A friend put together a site, with opens listed by calendar date, and links direct to sites for entries, rather than needing some kind of membership with Golf Empire.

I have a load ready to enter when they go live. Some dates clashes, but will make a decision on them at some point

View attachment 45869
You might see me at the Silver Barrell at Ipswich....cost in previous years has been around £60 for the 36 holes.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've got 6 booked so far, more potentially on the way. One stableford, 5 4bbb. Great way of playing nice courses at a cheap rate.

I don't play any expensive ones so avoid the dodgy scores.

As others have said, Golf Empire is great at collating what's available, great search function.

evemccc

Visit site
Is there any discernible difference in opens run by a club Vs run by some private body such as Mizuno Pairs or NC100?

The private ones tend to be more expensive generally but apart from that?

Last edited:

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site
Is there any discernible difference in opens run by a club Vs run by some private body such as Mizuno Pairs or NC100?

The private ones tend to be more expensive generrsllu but apart from that?

Certainly in Scotland, Mizuno etc. are significantly more expensive than club opens and probably don't even offer much of a saving against normal green fees. Format in Mizuno pairs is pretty much as it would be in a club 4BBB open.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think Cheshire/Manchester area must be a black hole then, there just isn't anything like the number each weekend you'd expect to see in a local area in Scotland, and conversely if you want to find one in Scotland restricted to cat 1, good luck, you'll look a long time

It never used to be like this. There are still lots of pairs opens but singles are rare.

1. The clubs that used to have decent opens are turning towards Green Golf , Finch Tours, Maxi Tours and just opting for this route. Easy cash and they get the money for the tee times. These are often run in the week so for a mon-fri working guy you have to use a days leave.

2. The single opens at the more prestigious courses are generally balloted out and the pairs ones are sold out in no time and are very expensive.

2. That leaves the clubs that do run opens. They tend to be clubs who chase the cash and the courses are nice but not courses youd take a days leave to go back and play again. Off the top of my head, the likes of Accrington, Burnley, Carden Park

evemccc

Visit site
It never used to be like this. There are still lots of pairs opens but singles are rare.

1. The clubs that used to have decent opens are turning towards Green Golf , Finch Tours, Maxi Tours and just opting for this route. Easy cash and they get the money for the tee times. These are often run in the week so for a mon-fri working guy you have to use a days leave.

2. The single opens at the more prestigious courses are generally balloted out and the pairs ones are sold out in no time and are very expensive.

2. That leaves the clubs that do run opens. They tend to be clubs who chase the cash and the courses are nice but not courses youd take a days leave to go back and play again. Off the top of my head, the likes of Accrington, Burnley, Carden Park

This is 100% true IMO

Played Hillside for £110 last year with @IanM — in summer, on I believe, a weekend
But their price has gone right up I think for 2023

Also if you’re taking a day off work for it, if midweek, it’s difficult to combine courses with a weekend away if the Open is on a Wednesday or something

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
You need to get to know when the Clubs make their Opens live on-line. I tend to avoid this commercial run ones due to their mark up, but would make an exception if there wasnt another way to get in!

Eg. Burnham & Berrow went live last week. I was on there the second it opened and most times went in a shot. It's still £90, but green fee is £130 -£155 depending on the day of the week. (When did £90 a round become a bargain? :ROFLMAO: :cry:)

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
I'm going back 20 years, there was never many singles opens, and it's not changed, as I still come south frequently to visit the kids, I look often to see if I can fit in an early morning somwhere, but it's always a dead end.

It was/is so frustrating, "Gents Open" the club will say, and 95% of the time it's actually a 4BBB

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
This might be interesting for some. I'm paying the following for Opens in Northumberland and Co.Durham:

£12, £19, £25, £15, £20

My two favourite ones will be the £12 and £15 ones, not because of the price either :D

Any other opens I book will be in similar territory.

Last edited:

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Scotland.

Totally different golf culture to England, but balloted and cat 1 restricted Opens up here are very rare, just trying to find a normal open in England is hard work. And boy do you love the cheats charter of 4BBB opens. I honestly don't get it.

I'd love to play more opens but as you say, down here in England, singles opens are not common with 4BBB the preferred route to riches of the typical pot hunter.

Turned 55 a couple of years ago and it seems like there are a few more "seniors" open events for singles so might start spreading my wings and seeking a few out.

Mind you....need to actually play at my home course one day....combination of various illnesses has meant I've not set on the course since mid November. Hit a few balls off at the range yesterday and some of them shot off at such unusual angles I thought that at one point the guy next to me, who was topping balls consistently 100 yards in a straight line, was going to offer me some advice!!!!