Golf Opens 2023 (for us amateurs)

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
It never used to be like this. There are still lots of pairs opens but singles are rare.

1. The clubs that used to have decent opens are turning towards Green Golf , Finch Tours, Maxi Tours and just opting for this route. Easy cash and they get the money for the tee times. These are often run in the week so for a mon-fri working guy you have to use a days leave.

2. The single opens at the more prestigious courses are generally balloted out and the pairs ones are sold out in no time and are very expensive.

2. That leaves the clubs that do run opens. They tend to be clubs who chase the cash and the courses are nice but not courses youd take a days leave to go back and play again. Off the top of my head, the likes of Accrington, Burnley, Carden Park

I think that's a bit mean. Some of the better courses have opens a excellent rates. Lindrick being one. Absolutely stunning course.

Jason.H

Visit site
I think Cheshire/Manchester area must be a black hole then, there just isn't anything like the number each weekend you'd expect to see in a local area in Scotland, and conversely if you want to find one in Scotland restricted to cat 1, good luck, you'll look a long time

There’s a 36 hole at Cavendish, Buxton. Is that too far?

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
That's the 2022 one! Only seems to be Ladies Open showing for 23.
Apologies, so it is, poor show from Glenegales having near a year out of date info. That means the Kings won't be the Spring Open then as they rotate each year. Maybe email the lassie anyway and see the scoop for 2023?

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
There’s a 36 hole at Cavendish, Buxton. Is that too far?
I wouldn't play a 36er when down for a visit tbf. My point though wasn't there there aren't any at all, just that they are so rare.

Really good price for England though, even some Scottish clubs will charge more than £45 for a 36er now (y)

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site
Apologies, so it is, poor show from Glenegales having near a year out of date info. That means the Kings won't be the Spring Open then as they rotate each year. Maybe email the lassie anyway and see the scoop for 2023?

No worries! I emailed her in early December and got a vague answer saying opens may be posted in the new year if they're holding any. Didn't realise they rotated it.....I'm not particularly bothered about playing Centenary but will keep an eye on the website.

D

Deleted member 31467

I'd love to play more opens but as you say, down here in England, singles opens are not common with 4BBB the preferred route to riches of the typical pot hunter.

Turned 55 a couple of years ago and it seems like there are a few more "seniors" open events for singles so might start spreading my wings and seeking a few out.

Mind you....need to actually play at my home course one day....combination of various illnesses has meant I've not set on the course since mid November. Hit a few balls off at the range yesterday and some of them shot off at such unusual angles I thought that at one point the guy next to me, who was topping balls consistently 100 yards in a straight line, was going to offer me some advice!!!!
I've just done an advanced search on golfempire, it shows 332 singles medal/stableford events for men in England this year.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
I've just done an advanced search on golfempire, it shows 332 singles medal/stableford events for men in England this year.
Just flicked through Scotland, and very roughly (and I know a lot of clubs have still to list) 350+ individual opens, and taking out the Mizuno Pairs which are as expensive as normal green fees, there's under 80 4BBB opens across the whole country

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Just flicked through Scotland, and very roughly (and I know a lot of clubs have still to list) 350+ individual opens, and taking out the Mizuno Pairs which are as expensive as normal green fees, there's under 80 4BBB opens across the whole country

I saw some of the Mizuno events and HCG Top100 tour events when I had a scan of Golf Empire for my region....my immediate reaction was why would I want to pay more than I would pay to play with my county card?

evemccc

Visit site
I saw some of the Mizuno events and HCG Top100 tour events when I had a scan of Golf Empire for my region....my immediate reaction was why would I want to pay more than I would pay to play with my county card?

You’re right.

But opens remain popular because I imagine many open golfers are non-members and GF golfers, thus not eligible for CC reductions; because CC have been increasingly withdrawn or reduced to only regional cards Eg Norfolk and Suffolk in East Anglia; because many golfers aren’t aware of the CC reductions, or because people like competing for huge pots of cash ?

D

Deleted member 31467

Yeah really poor eh?  Bet there's 10x that in 4BBB?

Seems like lots to me. That's only all age group ones, add in midams and seniors will give loads more. Plus all the ones listed only on club websites and you have loads to choose from. Just need to do a bit of legwork.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Seems like lots to me. That's only all age group ones, add in midams and seniors will give loads more. Plus all the ones listed only on club websites and you have loads to choose from. Just need to do a bit of legwork.
A lot? For the whole of England? That's dreadful, Scotland has more than that showing as I posted behind you, Aberdeenshire alone over 60 and still a lot of clubs to post.

People are not travelling hundreds of miles regularly (they may do a one-off for a big course) to play in Opens, whereas I could have my pick every weekend from May to October here of a selection every Saturday & Sunday with no more than an hours drive. I used to play masses of Opens, frequently double dunted both Saturday & Sunday and took in four Opens at a weekend. That's literally impossible in England

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
You’re right.

But opens remain popular because I imagine many open golfers are non-members and GF golfers, thus not eligible for CC reductions; because CC have been increasingly withdrawn or reduced to only regional cards Eg Norfolk and Suffolk in East Anglia; because many golfers aren’t aware of the CC reductions, or because people like competing for huge pots of cash ?
You're not playing in an Open without an official handicap, so the point here is moot

D

Deleted member 31467

A lot? For the whole of England? That's dreadful, Scotland has more than that showing as I posted behind you, Aberdeenshire alone over 60 and still a lot of clubs to post.

People are not travelling hundreds of miles regularly (they may do a one-off for a big course) to play in Opens, whereas I could have my pick every weekend from May to October here of a selection every Saturday & Sunday with no more than an hours drive. I used to play masses of Opens, frequently double dunted both Saturday & Sunday and took in four Opens at a weekend. That's literally impossible in England
454 listed for Scotland using the same criteria.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Wish I was more organised, missed out on the Bog seniors yet again. Going to try and play a few more and a couple of the seniors 4 days this year