Golf Clubs within a 10 mile radius from your home

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Going on fro the Scottish Golf in decline thread how many clubs do you have within a 10 mile radius of you home and if you were faced with your own club folding how many of the said clubs would you consider joining.

I have about 24 clubs in the local area but would only consider joining 3 of them and my current one is included in the 3

D

Deleted member 21258

2 within 10 miles and 3 more if I extended it to 15 miles.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Theres 3 in Inverness, but i'm not a member of any of them, i travel 20 miles or so though to Nairn to play.

once the new Kings course (torvean) opens i think i will be joining that as well, but the others i wouldn't bother with in Sneck

D

Deleted member 3432

I have two, one (1 mile from my home) of which I was a member of for 30 years or so until I moved to my present club which is 22 miles from my house.

The other within 10 miles is not even worth bothering about.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have two, one (1 mile from my home) of which I was a member of for 30 years or so until I moved to my present club which is 22 miles from my house.

The other within 10 miles is not even worth bothering about.

Your current course is well worth the drive that's for sure...

If only I stayed a bit closer.....

D

Deleted member 15344

I think of the top of my head About 10 ?

Last edited by a moderator:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Blimey - how do I work that out...guessing 15 - could be more - within 15miles going to be 25+ I'd have thought.
West Surrey-NE Hants border area just chocka with golf cubs

Last edited:

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Going on fro the Scottish Golf in decline thread how many clubs do you have within a 10 mile radius of you home and if you were faced with your own club folding how many of the said clubs would you consider joining.

I have about 24 clubs in the local area but would only consider joining 3 of them and my current one is included in the 3

Probably 10 on my side of Glasgow that would be realistic driving times of 15 minutes.

Pollok
Cowglen
Haggs Castle
Deaconsbank (David Lloyd owned)
Williamwood
Cathcart Castle
Whitecraigs
East Ren
Eastwood
Mearns Castle (privately owned driving range / 9 hole course)

Could maybe include Cathkin Braes and Bonnyton that would be realistic commutes (maybe 20 mins) if you had mates there and wanted to play it regularly.

I've not played them all, but think you can make a case for all of them being suitable for regular play, competitions, like minded folks etc. I wouldn't be mad keen on the David Lloyd option and likewise the 9 holer at Mearns Castle - albeit both will be cost effective. As far as I know, all are accessible and happy to take your money.

I think Eastwood is struggling and have heard a few bad reports.

Last edited:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
One is closing when HS2 gets built
Two are possibly the most boring courses in the world
One is vastly overpriced for what it is
Two you need to have one leg shorter than the other plus mountaineering equipment
Two wouldn't have me as I'm not a Major or Captain of industry
One is the worst course in the world
One is a very short 9 holed
One is ok but so slow and next to a chicken factory....

Wouldn't join any of them!
I'd be going further afield

D

Deleted member 15717

Within 10 miles? Depends if you go as the crow flies, or via road. If via road, then maximum 4. I’d only consider joining 1, and that’s the club I am a member of.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Plenty. We have Downshire and Bird Hills which are 18 hole pay and play, Billingbear which is a 9 hole pay and play. We've also got Windlesham, Mill Ride, Sand Martins and East Berkshire as members clubs before we go up to the big ones such as Swinley Forest, Wentworth, Bearwood Lakes and Sunningdale. If mine ever closed I'd probably look at East Berkshire first as Mill Ride and Windlesham have drainage issues and Sand Martins is expensive and hard to get a decent tee time on. I couldn't afford the bigger names. I'd probably go further afield and look at Caversham as my preferred option

D

Deleted member 16999

15 as the crow flies, 10 via road, happy were I am, not sure where I’d go if it closed, probably a bit further if I had to travel.