Golf Clubs within a 10 mile radius from your home

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Probably 10 on my side of Glasgow that would be realistic driving times of 15 minutes.

Pollok
Cowglen
Haggs Castle
Deaconsbank (David Lloyd owned)
Williamwood
Cathcart Castle
Whitecraigs
East Ren
Eastwood
Mearns Castle (privately owned driving range / 9 hole course)

Could maybe include Cathkin Braes and Bonnyton that would be realistic commutes (maybe 20 mins) if you had mates there and wanted to play it regularly.

I've not played them all, but think you can make a case for all of them being suitable for regular play, competitions, like minded folks etc. I wouldn't be mad keen on the David Lloyd option and likewise the 9 holer at Mearns Castle - albeit both will be cost effective. As far as I know, all are accessible and happy to take your money.

I think Eastwood is struggling and have heard a few bad reports.

The Mearns Castle course is quite a nice little 9 holer - the views are better than the holes but to be far the views over Glasgow to the Kilpatricks and the Lomond Hlls are pretty spectacular.

Sad to hear about Eastwood - and hope unfounded - played there quite a lot back in the late 70s when my best mate was a member - and I was at East Ren. Minor aside - Eastwood GC was where I first came across the original Space Invaders - and it was in 'table' format (so we could sit our pints down as we played). Me and my buddy Alan spent much time over a beer or two after a round playing that curious game the likes of which we had never seen before - well that sort of thing rather caught on did it not...?

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Probably about 5 or 6 at a guess around me? None of them are particularly great

Marlborough
Ogbourne Down
Wrag barn
Broome manor
South Cerney (maybe)

Hence the reason I drive 30miles and 70miles to my courses

D

Deleted member 18588

5 including my home club.

The nearest is 7.5 miles, the others only just creep within the 10 miles figure.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Around 24 - may be more as those are just the ones I know within an approximate 10mile radius circle based on my house

Edit - definitely more as I forgot both my own club and the nearest club!

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Had a quick tot up and I think i've got 42 clubs, a few of those with more than one track, within a 10 miles. although so of those are easily a 40-50 minute drive so perhaps time would be a better discriminator!

From those that i've any idea about there are at least 6 that I think i'd like to join, 2 I could see myself joining (london or sundridge) and one that I would absolutely love to join, once i'm old and retired or if I suddenly start playing off scratch, no prizes for guessing!

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
About 23 golf clubs within a 12 mile radius of my home or present club, no intention of moving to another club at my age especially with my earned discount :love:

Last edited:

Cake

Club Champion
Visit site
This was eye opening... 24 courses when overlaying a 10 mile diameter over a map.

Most of them are more than 30 mins drive which would make them difficult to justify membership of over my current course that is less than 10mins away... but I think I’ll make an effort to get around as many as I can over the next few years as I’ve played very few of them and I hear some are really rather nice.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Probably about ten, including Hankley, Liphook and Hindhead, so a decent selection. None that I would leave my club for though.

dronfield

Visit site
4 private plus 2 muni - at different times i have been a member of 2 of the private ones (22 years combined) and have just joined one of the other 2 private clubs wef 01 Dec.
Rich

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Some amazing numbers being quoted. Some people think there is not over supply :eek:.

I think there are 6, maybe 7 in that category for me, which i thought was a lot but now realise is not exceptional at all. I would consider joining 3 of them should mine close. None would be 'the perfect' club for me but then neither is my own..

Ragamuffin Gunner

Medal Winner
Visit site
I am rather lucky. The closest points of the 3 courses nearest to my house are 125m, 290m and 750m from my door respectively. All three of them are top 100 courses. I am a member of one, and have friends who play at each of the other two. They are all wonderful courses..!

www.hiltonpark.net
Probably 10 on my side of Glasgow that would be realistic driving times of 15 minutes.

Pollok
Cowglen
Haggs Castle
Deaconsbank (David Lloyd owned)
Williamwood
Cathcart Castle
Whitecraigs
East Ren
Eastwood
Mearns Castle (privately owned driving range / 9 hole course)

Could maybe include Cathkin Braes and Bonnyton that would be realistic commutes (maybe 20 mins) if you had mates there and wanted to play it regularly.

I've not played them all, but think you can make a case for all of them being suitable for regular play, competitions, like minded folks etc. I wouldn't be mad keen on the David Lloyd option and likewise the 9 holer at Mearns Castle - albeit both will be cost effective. As far as I know, all are accessible and happy to take your money.

I think Eastwood is struggling and have heard a few bad reports.
Could Kirkhill be within range?