Golf Clubs within a 10 mile radius from your home

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Doesn't sound like we are short of choice. I think I'm spoiled. At least 15 within 10 miles of me (which surprised me given half my circle is in the sea), which include Broadstone, Parkstone, Ferndown, Remedy Oak, Isle of Purbeck, plus the 3 I have been a member of and a handful; of others.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
62 clubs within 10 miles of my front door according to my satnav, quite off which which I would join

I am totally staggered by this. I have a vague knowledge of Salford and it amazes me. It looks all concrete when I go through it but 62 clubs is a lot of grass. How are there any houses?

(this post applies to all the others coming out with big numbers. That much grass, that much land, all golf courses. No dispute about the numbers I should add, it just amazes me.)

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am totally staggered by this. I have a vague knowledge of Salford and it amazes me. It looks all concrete when I go through it but 62 clubs is a lot of grass. How are there any houses?

(this post applies to all the others coming out with big numbers. That much grass, that much land, all golf courses. No dispute about the numbers I should add, it just amazes me.)

A 10 mile radius is a big area, there are probably 30 with a Manchester postcode alone

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
A 10 mile radius is a big area, there are probably 30 with a Manchester postcode alone
It is, I get that. There is also an awful lot of concrete and housing around Manchester, and the other places being talked about, so to fit them in that space is still impressive. I know there are some big population areas but even so that is a lot of clubs to keep going.

When you add in football pitches, rugby, cricket, hockey etc all in the same area it is quite remarkable. An overhead shot marking each course and ground within a specific area would be interesting to see.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
It is, I get that. There is also an awful lot of concrete and housing around Manchester, and the other places being talked about, so to fit them in that space is still impressive. I know there are some big population areas but even so that is a lot of clubs to keep going.

When you add in football pitches, rugby, cricket, hockey etc all in the same area it is quite remarkable. An overhead shot marking each course and ground within a specific area would be interesting to see.

I tried to do a screenshot of a map but failed, however the M60 ring road is roughly circular with a 5 mile radius, outside of the M60 is mostly rural with the occasional small town. I live close to the western side of the m60 and so it is mostly rural to the west of me

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Yeah it's a shame the courses round about Glasgow really struggle with drainage, Lethamhill is also a decent course for a public, but it just doesn't get the money spent on it either, which is a real shame as it's probably the closest course to my house and it has a pitch and putt course next to it whch is ideal for practice (until they ruined it by putting in double size holes and astroturf bowls matts at the tees which are so small you can't stand on and hit the ball from it at the same time! it also struggles with drainage but is ideal to hit a few balls in the summer.

I tend to do most of my practice at Bishopbriggs golf range particualrly at this time of year, they offer a deal of £19.95 a month for unlimited balls (for an hour per day) and with it costing £7 for 100 balls if you only make it along 3 times a month it is value for money. It also makes up for the fact my own course is a 45 mins drive away
Its a shame but with so many there just isn't enough money to maintain all to a high standard, my club does not have a range, has practice areas but there in the middle of the course, that sounds a good deal at bishy, a done a full day tuition there was a bit if a con to be honest just a advertisement for there sims

D

Deleted Member 1156

I am rather lucky. The closest points of the 3 courses nearest to my house are 125m, 290m and 750m from my door respectively. All three of them are top 100 courses. I am a member of one, and have friends who play at each of the other two. They are all wonderful courses..!
The 3 W's?