Golf Clubs within a 10 mile radius from your home

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
According to my Garmin, there are about 60/65 courses within a 10 mile radius of home. This includes Pay and Play, 9 holers, propriety and members clubs. I think that there may be possibly 3 or 4 that are/have closed recently but that still leaves about 60 :eek:. Surprised me as well.

I must admit that I'm very spoiled where I am a member (Sundridge Park) where we have two really good courses, great practice facilities and a vibrant lounge where I am more than happy to make time after playing to have a pot of tea and a chinwag putting the world to rights .... ;) Being a member there is a no brainer.

What other courses would I join if I couldn't play Sundridge? Considering commuter traffic, I would immediately discard about 40/45 of them. Of the remainder (that I know through regularly playing them, know many members, and because they are within 10/15 minute's travel), in no particular order, I would be looking at The Addington, Addington Palace, Langley Park, Croham Hurst. Would think long and hard about Tandridge. Super course but just on the edge of reasonable access time.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
With a choice like that it would be entirely possible to be a nomad and play plenty of golf without too much difficulty and at a cost, probably, a bit more than what you're paying, but still affordable, especially if joining fees come into play.
Around here, we just don't have the choice of the quality.
The Zoo is 13 miles door to door and takes 22/23 minutes.
I wouldn't want to travel much further than that but would have to in order to find a comparable set-up

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Wow this thread had me thinking! 20 courses within 10 miles of my house in Stepps just north of Glasgow, And I choose to be a member in Irvine which is over 30 miles away :eek:, but a links course so can play all year round (y)

I don't know if I would choose to join any of the courses below unless I really needed one nearer to home as the weather and drainage in Glasgow and the surrrounding area isn't great and courses tend to struggle during spells of bad weather. I play littlehill predominantly during the spring / summer months as my in laws play there and the course is a fantastic layout for a public course, it's also easier for a round afterwork & on a Sunday morning. it's a shame it doesn't get the money spent on it as it has great potential as a golf course (Jame Braid designed) not great in the wet though.

If push came to shove and I needed to join one of the below clubs I would probably be bewtween Kirkintilloch & Hayston as they are probably the most decent year round out of them all and the fees aren't extortionate (10 - 15 mins drive from home).

Crow wood
Lethamhill (Public)
Littlehill (Public)
Ruchill (Public)
Alexandra Parade (Public)
Lenzie
Cawder (2 courses)
Bishopbriggs
Kirkintilloch
Hayston
Balmore
Glasgow Golf Club (Killermont)
Mount Ellen
Drumpellier
Sandyhills
Haggs Castle
Dullatur (2 courses)
Airdrie
Linn Park (Public)
Bothwell Castle
I'm just the other side of the m8 from you and most of them are in my radius we really do have some great choices not to far, littlehill is a 2min walk from my mums too iv only played a couple of times and never the full 18, iv only played a couple of the courses you mentioned, i love lethamhill tho if they done more to the drainage it could be a great course

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
as the crow flies....nine courses of which one is my own.

How many of the others would I join if my place went under??….well there is one club that I would choose above all others but if they chose not to have me then i'd probably take a look at two of the others but it would be with a heavy heart that I joined them...in fact I'd actually consider up giving up the game or going nomad rather than joining those two courses.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Within a 10 miles radius of my home address there are around 25-30 gold clubs, Matfen where I currently play is outside those 10 miles, but if I was to count other clubs that are marginally outside the 10miles, say another half mile I could add easily another 10-15, and from all those course there loads which I would consider if my current course was to close and of course there's defo one I wouldn't. LOL

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
I’ve got a very good choice

My home course , Whipsnade park
Ivinghoe. Cough cough
Stocks
Chartridge Park
Berkhamsted
Ashridge
Weston Turdville
Ellesborough
Whiteleaf
Princes Risborough
Flackwell Heath
Wycombe Heights
Beaconsfield
Gerrards Cross
Denham
Batchworth
Moor Park
Rickmansworth
Sandy Lodge
Nine of Herts
Shendish Manor
West Herts
The Grove
Little Hay
Chesham & Ley Hill
Centurion

Go another couple of miles and courses like Temple, Winter Hill, The Lambourne Club, Stoke Park, Burnham Beeches, Northwood, Wexham Park, The Buckinghamshire, Dunstable Downs,

So 26 within 10 miles ,not bad at all

D

Deleted member 3432

Up here in Cumbria there are only 34 clubs in the county and size wise its the 3rd Largest in England.

Some of you have too much choice.....

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
My
I’ve got a very good choice

My home course , Whipsnade park
Ivinghoe. Cough cough
Stocks
Chartridge Park
Berkhamsted
Ashridge
Weston Turdville
Ellesborough
Whiteleaf
Princes Risborough
Flackwell Heath
Wycombe Heights
Beaconsfield
Gerrards Cross
Denham
Batchworth
Moor Park
Rickmansworth
Sandy Lodge
Nine of Herts
Shendish Manor
West Herts
The Grove
Little Hay
Chesham & Ley Hill
Centurion

Go another couple of miles and courses like Temple, Winter Hill, The Lambourne Club, Stoke Park, Burnham Beeches, Northwood, Wexham Park, The Buckinghamshire, Dunstable Downs,

So 26 within 10 miles ,not bad at all

My list is similar.

If I wasn't at my club, I would be looking at Berkhamstead, Moor Park, or Beaconsfield. Gerrards is ok, as is Porters Park. Sandy Lodge is local, but I have issues with the club/members. Centurion is 10 minutes up the road, but I am not sold on it, for the money. I would probably slum it at Moor Park. I can get to Bearwood in 25 minutes, speed limits not withstanding.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Probably 10 on my side of Glasgow that would be realistic driving times of 15 minutes.

Pollok
Cowglen
Haggs Castle
Deaconsbank (David Lloyd owned)
Williamwood
Cathcart Castle
Whitecraigs
East Ren
Eastwood
Mearns Castle (privately owned driving range / 9 hole course)

Could maybe include Cathkin Braes and Bonnyton that would be realistic commutes (maybe 20 mins) if you had mates there and wanted to play it regularly.

I've not played them all, but think you can make a case for all of them being suitable for regular play, competitions, like minded folks etc. I wouldn't be mad keen on the David Lloyd option and likewise the 9 holer at Mearns Castle - albeit both will be cost effective. As far as I know, all are accessible and happy to take your money.

I think Eastwood is struggling and have heard a few bad reports.

Fereneze must be within 10 miles? Certainly won't be far out if it is!

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Lochwinnoch
Kilbirnie
Beith
Cochrane Castle
Elderslie
Kilmacolm
Ranfurly Castle
Old Ranfurly

Out of that list I'll be surprised is all are still going within 3 years.

Lochwinnoch - less than 200 members now I hear.
Kilbirnie - same as Lochwinnoch.
Beith - already gone under once, now re-opened as a 9 hole course.
Cochrane Castle - don't know for certain but I hear they have lost a lot of members.
Elderslie - financially secure, sold a lot of land to housing for millions.
Kilmacolm - can't imagine they will be in any financial difficulty.
Ranfurly Castle - lots of money in the bank but runs at a loss every year - can't sustain loses for ever.
Old Ranfurly - well run and can't imagine it is struggling. Great members club.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Fereneze must be within 10 miles? Certainly won't be far out if it is!
It will be, but given where I am I paraphrased to 15 minutes drive.

Pollok GC is probably 500 m from me. 10 miles would take in nearly every club in Greater Glasgow, but it could take nearly an hour to get through the city to Milngavie or Cawder for a 6pm midweek tee off.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
It will be, but given where I am I paraphrased to 15 minutes drive.

Pollok GC is probably 500 m from me. 10 miles would take in nearly every club in Greater Glasgow, but it could take nearly an hour to get through the city to Milngavie or Cawder for a 6pm midweek tee off.

No joining fee and one of the best courses in Glasgow is 500 meters from you and you travel to East Ren???? Madness.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
No joining fee and one of the best courses in Glasgow is 500 meters from you and you travel to East Ren???? Madness.

There’s numerous factors at play that led to East Ren, but Pollok is still out of budget and I don’t feel is my kind of club.

Had a few games organised there that got rained off, but a colleague is joining in the spring so will def get a game next year.

However will be amazed if it matches up with East Ren on the golf front.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
There’s numerous factors at play that led to East Ren, but Pollok is still out of budget and I don’t feel is my kind of club.

Had a few games organised there that got rained off, but a colleague is joining in the spring so will def get a game next year.

However will be amazed if it matches up with East Ren on the golf front.

Each to their own, opinions are like.....well we all know what.

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am very fortunate that I have Gailes, Western Gailes and Dundonald all within 3 miles of where I stay. Others within the 10 mile radius are. Irvine GC, Ravenspark, Ardeer, Annanhill and Caprington in Kilmarnock, Old Prestwick, Royal Troon and Portland as well as the three Council courses in Troon. That is 14 in total. I already play at 1 and have been a member at another, so would only pick four others that I might join. One I would consider joining but is probably as close as I would get lol

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I was surpised to find that there are actually 5 golfclubs in a 10 mile radius from where I live. Why on earth am I a member at one that is 15 miles away?
I have a club a long par 5 away as the crow flies, 2-3 minutes drive - but I drive 23 minutes/13 miles because the close one is, very possibly, the most boring golf course in the universe. Plus it has cross-over holes and I hate cross-over holes!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

fowlero

Hacker
Visit site
I'm just the other side of the m8 from you and most of them are in my radius we really do have some great choices not to far, littlehill is a 2min walk from my mums too iv only played a couple of times and never the full 18, iv only played a couple of the courses you mentioned, i love lethamhill tho if they done more to the drainage it could be a great course

Yeah it's a shame the courses round about Glasgow really struggle with drainage, Lethamhill is also a decent course for a public, but it just doesn't get the money spent on it either, which is a real shame as it's probably the closest course to my house and it has a pitch and putt course next to it whch is ideal for practice (until they ruined it by putting in double size holes and astroturf bowls matts at the tees which are so small you can't stand on and hit the ball from it at the same time! it also struggles with drainage but is ideal to hit a few balls in the summer.

I tend to do most of my practice at Bishopbriggs golf range particualrly at this time of year, they offer a deal of £19.95 a month for unlimited balls (for an hour per day) and with it costing £7 for 100 balls if you only make it along 3 times a month it is value for money. It also makes up for the fact my own course is a 45 mins drive away

mhwgc

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Quite a few from a couple of pay and play courses like the Downshire and Billingbear to top end clubs like the Berkshire and Swinley where you've got virtually no chance of becoming a member. There's also Bearwood Lakes which is very expensive, great in the summer but gets very wet in the winter. Some other good courses but very happy that I chose Sand Martins.