GM Top 100 courses

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Glad they got The Alwoodley & Moortown in the right order.... though the former IMHO should be closer to Ganton than it is. That is Ganton dropping really.... good but not that good.
For enjoyment & shear disbelief at what I was experiencing I'd put Swinley Forest ahead of Ganton....... You can't bottle that.... an unpretentious experience... Ganton has a lot to learn

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
From memory when it was debated on here it was pretty evenly split between people who preferred Hillside or Formby.

It seemed to be the better players, and ones who got O levels who liked Hillside more.:rofl:

Whats an 'O' level ? They were before my time :)

D

Deleted member 17920

From memory when it was debated on here it was pretty evenly split between people who preferred Hillside or Formby.

It seemed to be the better players, and ones who got O levels who liked Hillside more.:rofl:
The ones with A levels preferred Formby :D

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Having looked at the list again a couple of thoughts occur.

Despite it being the top courses, I think views are taken into account as against just the course.

After the top 10 the actual positions are fairly meaningless - why not just put them into groups of 10?

njrose51

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
evening all
the full 1-100 list will be released online on December 7 and we will be doing another live forum Q&A session plus a Facebook Live broadcast on the same day.
Until then it's magazine only - I'd ask readers to refrain from posting chunks of the list - i.e. 1-10 or indeed an image of the full list list online please
Subscribers will have it today/tomorrow. Goes on general sale on Thursday. Free 2017 calendar featuring some amazing images by Kevin Murray and a £25 YourGolfTravel voucher
Here endeth the sales pitch!

Hi Mike, great feature and I'll happily play with you on any of the top ten courses - I'm not fussy! #slowplayday :)

D

Deleted member 21258

Amazing how many of the top 100 courses are links style courses. Will have to have an add up when I have five minutes in the evening to see the split.

Not almost played any of the courses in the list.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I've just seen the new list for the first time and have to say, I think the team have made a pretty good job. There will always be differences of opinion and I enjoy the healthy debate that ensues. I've not played Turnberry since it's revamp but I loved the old layout and by all accounts the changes are definitely improvements. I remember seeing it at #1 in the rankings some years ago so no great surprise it is back to the top.

Also delighted to see my own club back in the top 100 despite the issues this year with the greens that have now been resolved. With the ongoing renovation works I fully expect to see it rise up further.

Well down GM team :thup:

3puttmaster

Medal Winner
Visit site
its true some exclusive clubs say they dont want to be included in the top 100 rankings but our decision was based on reader feedback.

there is a piece in the issue explaining the rationale but in a nutshell we have over the years had more and more feedback saying the list should only be courses you can play and almost to a man the people who took part in our focus groups in september said we shouldn't include them

we have listened to that feedback and acted on it

Mike,

I haven't been on the forum for a while - I know I deserve to be flogged!

However, I wanted to let you know that in my opinion GM has without doubt done the right thing and not included those courses that want to be exclusive and not allow visitors to play. I look at it from a simple standpoint. If a club of the stature of Sunningdale can open it's gates and welcome visitors with open arms, why can't everyone else?

I get that if if a club wants to be 'exclusive' then fine. But, and it's a big but, isn't golf better than that? Surely we want to allow all of us who love this game that drives us mad the chance to play the best courses around the UK and Ireland and for that matter, the world.

Those in charge of some clubs with wonderful courses need to have a bit of a re-think. Stop being so bloody inward looking and let us all have the chance, if only once, to enjoy the thrill of playing the likes of Wentworth etc. I think the game would be better off if they did and showed that golf isn't so damned elitist.

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's crazy that the Colt at close house is on there.

Don't get it myself either, not as the only entry from our region either....
Somebody must have visited on a hot summers day and been blown away by the condition, views, scenery.....
Not on a wet miserable day when plodge about and a few holes closed

As a course, design / layout , the Colt isn't ( IMHO ) as good as Rockcliffe , slaley hall hunting, or Goswick, to name but 3

Mike07

Head Pro
Visit site
Mike,

I get that if if a club wants to be 'exclusive' then fine. But, and it's a big but, isn't golf better than that?

Golf is not better than that. Its got so much history and tradition that some places feel its important to keep it to that, which is fine. Golf (like a lot of things that cost money) is elitist. No different to Saville Row, Mayfair gentlemen's club or top restaurants.

Thats not to say i agree with it or not...