GM Top 100 courses

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm not at all surprised that Tandridge got in, I played it twice this summer and I thought it was awesome. I think that Mike does contribute to the Top 100 but I think as only part of a fairly large team who rate the many courses

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm not 100% but I don't think Mike can have an input? Is this whole thing not done but some what independents giving reviews?

I wasn't suggesting Mike was doing anything untoward! Rather that it's held in very high esteem by Golf Monthly, including Mike. And as such, when Tandridge was being discussed, he would put forward a strong case for it. I'm sure last time the rankings were out it was mentioned that it was one that was knocking on the top 100 door.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I'm not 100% but I don't think Mike can have an input? Is this whole thing not done but some what independents giving reviews?

There is a panel of about 20 people that review all of the top 100 courses plus another 40 'contender' courses that have the potential to get into the 100. Each course is played at least a couple of times by different people and they submit a review. These are then collated and reviewed by the 3 big cheeses who rank the courses based on the numerical scores and comments from each review. Each reviewer is free to play any of the 140 courses, they are not assigned by region. This means that you don't have the same people reviewing the same courses each time as there would then be personal preferences and bias. It is a very thorough process that has been tried and tested over a long period of time now.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wasn't suggesting Mike was doing anything untoward! Rather that it's held in very high esteem by Golf Monthly, including Mike. And as such, when Tandridge was being discussed, he would put forward a strong case for it. I'm sure last time the rankings were out it was mentioned that it was one that was knocking on the top 100 door.

Yep, I totally was not suggesting you were. I had it in my mind that GM had made a point of the top 100 being picked by independent reviews but I must have been thinking of something else.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm not at all surprised that Tandridge got in, I played it twice this summer and I thought it was awesome. I think that Mike does contribute to the Top 100 but I think as only part of a fairly large team who rate the many courses

I agree it's very good, and I enjoyed it very much, particularly at £38 on a beautiful summers evening.

However, I enjoyed Crowborough more. Perhaps it was simply a question of expectations and therefore Crowborough had more of a pleasant surprise factor.

In truth, playing a course only once is not really the way to truly judge its merits.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yep, I totally was not suggesting you were. I had it in my mind that GM had made a point of the top 100 being picked by independent reviews but I must have been thinking of something else.

I think the panel is probably sufficiently large and varied that the end result is that it's independent?

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
There is a panel of about 20 people that review all of the top 100 courses plus another 40 'contender' courses that have the potential to get into the 100. Each course is played at least a couple of times by different people and they submit a review. These are then collated and reviewed by the 3 big cheeses who rank the courses based on the numerical scores and comments from each review. Each reviewer is free to play any of the 140 courses, they are not assigned by region. This means that you don't have the same people reviewing the same courses each time as there would then be personal preferences and bias. It is a very thorough process that has been tried and tested over a long period of time now.

Thanks.....

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
Purely from the layout etc I can't see where Formby and Hillside have the edge over S&A.

For me The only aspect of the course that would peg it back against the other 2 is the few holes on back 9 when your alongside the road & houses. Although this doesn't seem to do Royal Lytham any harm in the rankings and that big wall next to the train track on the 1st at Hillside is a bit of an eyesore too.

Personally I'd say S&A is probably the most interesting/engaging course of the 3.
To have it only a few places above Trevose is bananas!!

Last edited:

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Purely from the layout etc I can't see where Formby and Hillside have the edge over S&A.

For me The only aspect of the course that would peg it back against the other 2 is the few holes on back 9 when your alongside the road & houses. Although this doesn't seem to do Royal Lytham any harm in the rankings and that big wall next to the train track on the 1st at Hillside is a bit of an eyesore too.

For me though I'd say S&A is probably the most interesting/engaging course of the 3.

I'm surprised that there is the degree of separation between S&A and the other two, wonder what the reasons are?

One of my favourites S&A, absolutely love playing there, not a bad stretch of courses over the water is it!? ;)

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm surprised that there is the degree of separation between S&A and the other two, wonder what the reasons are?

It could be something simple yet quite significant like a lack of beans with the Full English, or cutting the toast diagonally :angry:

Tbh I'd mark it down if that was the case ;)

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
The latest rankings are in this months magazine. Good to see Murcar, Tandridge and Broadstone in there, but the likes of Loch Lomond, Wentworth, Bearwood Lakes and Centurion have been excluded as they are exclusive clubs.:eek:

Looks like GM are keen on Trumps courses. Turnberry is number 1 and Trump International in Aberdeen is 8th.

Let the discussions begin.;)

Oh and if you don't agree with any of the rankings blame Drive4Show.

I'm surprised that courses are being removed due to being exclusive to be honest. I dont think that how it should be. Its supposed to be the best course, the stipulations around playing the course should be irrelevant.

certainly devalues the list a bit IMO. If it was called 'top 100 courses you can play easily' fair enough. but its not

D

Deleted Member 1156

I'm surprised that courses are being removed due to being exclusive to be honest. I dont think that how it should be. Its supposed to be the best course, the stipulations around playing the course should be irrelevant.

certainly devalues the list a bit IMO. If it was called 'top 100 courses you can play easily' fair enough. but its not

Sometimes these courses ask to be excluded as they feel they do not require the publicity.

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
its true some exclusive clubs say they dont want to be included in the top 100 rankings but our decision was based on reader feedback.

there is a piece in the issue explaining the rationale but in a nutshell we have over the years had more and more feedback saying the list should only be courses you can play and almost to a man the people who took part in our focus groups in september said we shouldn't include them

we have listened to that feedback and acted on it

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

One of my favourites S&A, absolutely love playing there, not a bad stretch of courses over the water is it!? ;)

I really need to get the finger out and play S&A, especially as I get it on reciprocal.

D

Deleted member 3432

I really need to get the finger out and play S&A, especially as I get it on reciprocal.
B&B on Silloth's reciprocal, just a shame it's at the other end if the country!